• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine stalls on throttle up

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I took the bilge pump out and there was a little debris in there but not enough to completely clog it. I did find two very small medal shavings though. I reinstalled and it still doesn't work. I tried to find the fuse but have no clue. If anyone knows, please let me know. So I moved on to the exhaust problem, and, Well, unfortunately the two exhaust areas I didn't check before, appear to be tight. Tomorrow a friend is going to come over and run the engines while I hold the safety switches down and inspect through the blowout hatch. I figure if I partially gaffe tape the exhaust ports it should help simulate being under water and force the exhaust out of where ever its leaking from. What do you guys think? I want to be careful it doesn't back the water into the motors.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Be very careful with those fumes! I might try getting some really soapy water (more soap than water) and see if you can find the leak the same way you would with an inner tube. Obviously doing this in the water would give your more consistent backpressure and less concern about water intrusion.

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Be very careful with those fumes! I might try getting some really soapy water (more soap than water) and see if you can find the leak the same way you would with an inner tube. Obviously doing this in the water would give your more consistent backpressure and less concern about water intrusion.
Wow, excellent thought. Like checking for a propane leak.
You folks are a vast pool of knowledge. Thanks Julian. On my way to west marine to see if they have that pump in stock.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Exactly what I needed to do. As soon as we started the port side engine I could see water leaking down the side wall. After bringing up the RPMs i could see the water was just pouring out the front hose of the resonator. Of course its the most difficult to reach and it has started raining so, time out. I'll have a go at it tomorrow. Hopefully the resonator isn't cracked or the very expensive hose for that matter. But' it appears to be leaking right at the fitting. Fired up the star side and checked that as well. No problem there.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know I'm late to the party here but it sounds like you've found your issue. That's great.

A couple of things that come to mind are:

1. There should be a breaker switch probably right below the bilge pump switch. Have you tried to reset that?
2. Check the inside of the exhaust hose. If it's damaged/melted it could mean that you have a cooling issue causing that. You'll want to resolve the cooling issue before replacing the hose because the new hose will suffer a similar fate.

Good luck, sounds like you're almost all fixed up.

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad you found it. Now go find a skinny teenage boy who wants to earn a quick $20!
Right??!!! LMAO. Skinny kid with long, strong, arms that doesn't whine. These days I might as well search for a yeti.
Its tight in there. I think I'll have to take a couple of things apart to even get to it.

Itsdgm, I did check the breaker and it doesn't appear to be tripped.
When I was tighting the hose clamps the first time, these were the more loose than any of the others. Hopefully, I was as lame as the yamaha preppers but I'll be sure to completely remove it for proper inspection. I have to take the other side off to even be able to reach it anyway.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unclip the pump and spin the impeller with a screwdriver. It might be seized up.

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unclip the pump and spin the impeller with a screwdriver. It might be seized up.
I did, it moves freely. Wish I had a meter to see if power is getting past the breaker. Maybe I'll pick one up when I get a few more new clamps. If I'm going to take it apart I might as well put new ones in. A few have light rust on them.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
From my experience with exhaust leaks , if the exhaust leak is sufficient to kill your engine at speed it is definitely a big leak. I had a sea doo with a leak in the exhaust that held the top end back to 40 mph rather than 55 it also had exhaust water leaking in the hull. You probably have a big exhaust hose either split open on the bottom or completely disconnected. It should be pretty obvious once you get in the back and look closely.

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, hidden behind the seemingly poperly fitted hose was this. (See Pic). What kind of shoe-makers they got working over there at yamaha? I think I found the problem LOL. I'm going to try to reinstall. Any objections from the gallery?

Attachments

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What do you think murf?
Well upon further inspection I found this. It would appear I have a bigger problem.

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What do you think murf?
Well upon further inspection I found this. It would appear I have a bigger problem.
If you are asking about the exhaust hose...... Yeah man, you found it and it should be ok to install it properly. Use some dish some for lube if you need it.

As for your bilge pump, get the test meter or cut the wires and tap direct to the battery to test.

Steve Moyer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
IMG_1081[1].JPG IMG_1084[1].JPG Well upon further inspection I found this. It would appear I have a bigger problem. Resonator is toast.

Last edited by a moderator:

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Glad to hear you found it!!

After you diagnose and fix your factory pump, you may want to consider installing a second bilge pump on a float switch. Huge piece of mind, and it has saved my but on 2 occasions.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you have a warranty on this boat? Sorry if that was stated already....