• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

help! my 2021 252 is stuck in reverse.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
i have shut the batteries down multiple times. i tried to switch to manual but the buckets are not moving. am i missing something?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i have shut the batteries down multiple times. i tried to switch to manual but the buckets are not moving. am i missing something?
Is there debris stuck in there?
Do you have any fault codes?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Typically the way to clear codes is to;
shut off batteries
turn on batteries
start engines
shut off engines
shut off batteries

Repeat that five times.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What is your battery voltage???

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
t
Typically the way to clear codes is to;
shut off batteries
turn on batteries
start engines
shut off engines
shut off batteries

Repeat that five times.
the five times didn’t work. under the helm is a box with red levers for electronic operation and manual operation. have switched to manual and tries to move buckets by hand but no luck.no. ode
Is there debris stuck in there?
Do you have any fault codes?
no codes. have been feeling for debris and can’t feel anything

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
under the helm is a box with red levers for electronic operation and manual operation. have switched to manual and tries to move buckets by hand but no luck.no. ode
When the red levers are switched it should release the cable from the shift gate and they should move up and down if you grab them. Try shaking them left and right to see if any pebbles are lodged.

Did you recently hit reverse in shallow water?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
when the red levers are re engaged the shift gates need to be in the fully open position

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
i have tried with
When the red levers are switched it should release the cable from the shift gate and they should move up and down if you grab them. Try shaking them left and right to see if any pebbles are lodged.

Did you recently hit reverse in shallow water?
i have tried with me hands to lift the gates with the red levers in manual operation and no luck.
what happened was i was going in reverse and ns my foot hit the power switch and shut the boat off while i was in reverse . pretty sure that’s the whole problem. i just can get it to reset.

gthorson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
My experience was debris. Several times. You can't see the tiny sand binding the gates. Working gates have play in them. If they are stuck hard, that's the culprit. I've learned to never back off a beach, it's almost a guaranteed gate jam.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
1717964227605.jpeg
i cannot get the levers to slide into manual position. the red levers did, the covered stainless steel levers will not budge. any ideas?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
i have tried with me hands to lift the gates with the red levers in manual operation and no luck.
Maybe the red lever is not shifted all the way

what happened was i was going in reverse and ns my foot hit the power switch and shut the boat off while i was in reverse . pretty sure that’s the whole problem. i just can get it to reset.

Was the water shallow 2.5 feet or less ?

I'm not sure the red lever is "manual position". Over the winter I leave the lever off so that I can move the gates up and down every few weeks to make sure the cables don't gaul up from salt water. A few times I would try to start the boat in the spring and it would not turn over and it threw some message then I realized I did not re engage the red levers.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My post above was being typed as you responded with the picture

this is how debris gets in the gate

Friday, June 07, 2024 (3).jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You almost certainly have debris stuck in the reverse gates. The gates themselves have a quick release. Undo the quick release and move the gates to clear the sand/gravel stuck in them.

Is your boat in a wet slip? Where? You might find a local to help you do this as the quick releases aren't intuitive/easy if you dont know how they unhook.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
yes wet slipped. i can’t get the levers under the covers to move to release….

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Make life easier on yourself and pull the boat out onto your trailer so you can work on the gates in the back.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
yes wet slipped. i can’t get the levers under the covers to move to release….
The picture you posted shows them in the "manual position"

Manual position allows you to grab the gate and move it into the fully open position and I'm pretty sure then you can flip the red lever to Electronic operation.

We are all speculating that you have small rocks jammed in the gate not allowing you to "Manually" move the Gate and the red levers cant be switched because the gate needs to be aligned correctly. It makes sense to be that way due to the calibration with how far the cable can move.

Keep us posted on what you find

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
From having the older model boats every one had the cables get tight or completely seize. I was always curious at what point these electronic devices would not be able to overcome the resistance and leave you stranded. Originally seeing the manual label gave me the impression you could just move it manually and drive the boat. From what I have noticed and I'm pretty sure that's not the case when the motor is turned off the gate goes to the fully open position. When restarted you can only start if the red levers are engaged to the "electronic operation" and what it sounds like is that the red lever only engages in the fully open position and it calibrates to neutral and will allow the boat to start. All the e series boats are getting older to the point that cables will start to fail and it would be great to know how to possibility over ride the system to actually get it to drive and not be stranded.

trickle.jpeg

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
got it out of the water. we saw nothing. took a knife and started wedging under the buckets and sure as shit sandy pebbles start falling out and then i was able to raise both the buckets!! i can’t believe and neither could my friend that was helping. thanks for all the advice! back on the water now.