• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

House Battery?

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have not pushed the sys/ctrl button so I cant say that wont work, but I will try it. When I turn house battery on nothing then turn start battery on and the Connext starts up automatically.
wow, I missed this about the sys/ctrl.... Something new to try! hopefully it works.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I think the issue is the negative ground on the house battery on my boat was not tied to the chassis. There was a 12 inch ground wire, intended to tie the House bat Neg post to the Boat/engine bat Neg post that was not being used. Now that I tied the two negative posts together I can turn on Connex with just the house bat on.

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think the issue is the negative ground on the house battery on my boat was not tied to the chassis. There was a 12 inch ground wire, intended to tie the House bat Neg post to the Boat/engine bat Neg post that was not being used. Now that I tied the two negative posts together I can turn on Connex with just the house bat on.
@Rod5 can you post a pic of what you are talking about? thanks brother.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Glad that was all it was. If this is missing when you take possession of your boat, that is a dealer issue, not Yamaha's. Also easy for one to remove the battery over the winter and not reconnect it properly next spring - this is why I label and wire tie my connections together to avoid that (also why I put in a bus bar....just makes it simpler)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I have THE black wire that often gets overlooked and not connected - connected. I also have the negatives bridged.
What am I missing, @Julian ?

--

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad that was all it was. If this is missing when you take possession of your boat, that is a dealer issue, not Yamaha's. Also easy for one to remove the battery over the winter and not reconnect it properly next spring - this is why I label and wire tie my connections together to avoid that (also why I put in a bus bar....just makes it simpler)
@Julian you mention bus bar - in my battery compartment there are two metal bars with button head screws at each end that are lying loose in the floor of my storage compartment. Are these battery components? or for something else. I hope I am not high jacking and taking this thread off track...if so I apologize.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My negative posts are connected (see pic). I am curious about the sys ctrl button to turn connext on, but I cant get to the boat now.

Attachments

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian you mention bus bar - in my battery compartment there are two metal bars with button head screws at each end that are lying loose in the floor of my storage compartment. Are these battery components? or for something else. I hope I am not high jacking and taking this thread off track...if so I apologize.
Doubt those are bus bars (our boats dont come with bus bars, and not many dealers put them in). A bus bar will look like this:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Blenderhead I bet the bars you are speaking of are the tower support bars.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@swatski I've not tested this on my boat yet....so I don't know if this is an issue for me. With the solar panels on the E-Series, I really don't worry about draining the starter battery, and I KNOW my stereo is connected to my house battery as I have dedicated amps running through their own switch to the house battery. But I do aim to test if I can turn the stereo on with the starter battery switch OFF.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian or @swatski do the Connext boats still have the auxiliary circuit fuse like the old boats have in the battery compartment? On my boat, that feeds everything at the helm (possibly with the exception of the tachs). I know that on my setup, that fuse is connected to the house batteries.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@swatski I've not tested this on my boat yet....so I don't know if this is an issue for me. With the solar panels on the E-Series, I really don't worry about draining the starter battery, and I KNOW my stereo is connected to my house battery as I have dedicated amps running through their own switch to the house battery. But I do aim to test if I can turn the stereo on with the starter battery switch OFF.
Julian, this is a good point. Since I have added the amp and wired it directly to the house battery but I do have the stereo and two speakers still wired how it was from the factory. I guess in that way, most of the battery draw will be coming from the house to power the amp but I still like the idea of being able to completely isolate the house battery to run the stereo and not worry about running down the starting battery.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Julian, this is a good point. Since I have added the amp and wired it directly to the house battery but I do have the stereo and two speakers still wired how it was from the factory. I guess in that way, most of the battery draw will be coming from the house to power the amp but I still like the idea of being able to completely isolate the house battery to run the stereo and not worry about running down the starting battery.
I would still expect that the stock stereo is connected to the house battery....but that is easy to check....does it work with the house switch off? I'll climb into the boat this evening and see how mine works.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would still expect that the stock stereo is connected to the house battery....but that is easy to check....does it work with the house switch off? I'll climb into the boat this evening and see how mine works.
Yeah I plan on checking when I get home today as well. I checked it when I was testing the new amp and it didn't seem to work. But I also have not tried the sys/ctrl button on the connext.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
sys/ctrl works for me. Battery still has to be on but it beats using the keys every time.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wait a second, so what you guys are telling me is that I can't run the stereo off of the house battery??? If that's the case, then why even have a battery switch? This actually really annoys me as it totally negates the purpose. So not only do my voltages not read right, but now I won't be able to save my starting battery when sitting at anchor. I think a call to Yamaha might be in order ASAP. :banghead: :facepalm:
You can run all your systems off the house battery, leaving the start battery for your engines. I have done that since the beginning and had no issues. Withe JUST the house battery switch on NOTHING works until you depress the SYS CTRL button. There may be other ways to energize the system, but this is what works for me. As far as the solar panels, it is my understandING that they ONLY charge the house battery. The EMERGENCY switch (yellow), to my understanding, can be used if your stay battery is low. This connects the 2 batteries together and should only be used for that purpose. If you leave the EMERGENCY switch on you drain both batteries. I hope this clarifies things, and solves your issues.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Withe JUST the house battery switch on NOTHING works until you depress the SYS CTRL button.
Very helpful! Going to test this this weekend. Hope it works in all Connext boats, not an E-special.

--

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
sys/ctrl works for me. Battery still has to be on but it beats using the keys every time.
Correct, the light button works also to energize connex without the key.

Jeff L

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can run all your systems off the house battery, leaving the start battery for your engines. I have done that since the beginning and had no issues. Withe JUST the house battery switch on NOTHING works until you depress the SYS CTRL button. There may be other ways to energize the system, but this is what works for me. As far as the solar panels, it is my understandING that they ONLY charge the house battery. The EMERGENCY switch (yellow), to my understanding, can be used if your stay battery is low. This connects the 2 batteries together and should only be used for that purpose. If you leave the EMERGENCY switch on you drain both batteries. I hope this clarifies things, and solves your issues.
Yesssssssss!!! Thank you @captras . House battery on, no key inserted, hit sys cntrl button and everything works like a charm.