• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

House Battery?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I checked the wiring diagram and unfortunately it does not spell out the connection to the batteries after the power distribution block. However I can confirm that the solar panels are wired direct to the power distribution block along with the main power supply to the radio head unit. Coming off of the power distribution block is a wire labeled SLR PNL+ or SP+ (the document is conflicting itself on this) wither way it is terminated on a ring terminal near the battery switches so this must be the wire that @Julian is referring to and confirms my warning above. Not assuming anything if the SP+ wire is connected to the house side of the DVSR as opposed to the start side then the start battery never gets the benefit of the solar panels and if it is connected to the start side then everything I said above is correct.

So boiled down version of what e-series owners should do.

1.Make sure that the SLR PNL+ or SP+ (could be named either) is connected to the start side of the DVSR.

2.If you don't use a multi bank plug in smart charger then end here and do nothing, else go to step 3

3.You do use a multi bank plus in charge and you do want it to be smart, go to step 4

4.You should should add a relay with the correct wiring that I will post after an e-series owner confirms what I have above and tests the wiring that I send to them to confirm (I need an e-series owner volunteer who understands relays and does good wiring). Alternatively just see step 2 and be ok with your multi bank smart charger being dumb, worse things can and will happen.

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
ok, brakes are pumped. Someone figure out and give me a beautiful wire diagram with labels and part numbers and what to do and ill be the guinnea pig

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Im a lineman, pretty sure i can wire and i get relays

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will work up a diagram in the next few days. I would have thought the the solar panels would have separate charge controller but from what I can see it must be buikt into the panels. Can someone confirm? Also need confirmation in dim light that they don't drop in voltage.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yesssssssss!!! Thank you @captras . House battery on, no key inserted, hit sys cntrl button and everything works like a charm.
I can confirm that this worked on my e-series too. However, I couldn't figure out a way to turn off the Connext without using the house battery switch. Is there a way to turn off the Connext using this method?

EDIT: After reading some of the other posts I am now a bit confused on my "Smart" charger and also the solar panels. I remember reading to disconnect or put a quick disconnect on some wire (I will have to dig up the post tomorrow) when using the bank charger that I hooked up. I believe it came out of the batter swtich/DVSR and connected to the start battery. Although, now I can't remember if it was related to making the charger smart or something to do with the solar charger. Either way, I have had my batteries on my bank charger all winter, so I hope they were being "smart".

2nd EDIT: This was the post that referred to the black wire I disconnected:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/help-with-dvsr-loop-sense-wire.1736/page-3#post-215133

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can confirm that this worked on my e-series too. However, I couldn't figure out a way to turn off the Connext without using the house battery switch. Is there a way to turn off the Connext using this method?

EDIT: After reading some of the other posts I am now a bit confused on my "Smart" charger and also the solar panels. I remember reading to disconnect or put a quick disconnect on some wire (I will have to dig up the post tomorrow) when using the bank charger that I hooked up. I believe it came out of the batter swtich/DVSR and connected to the start battery. Although, now I can't remember if it was related to making the charger smart or something to do with the solar charger. Either way, I have had my batteries on my bank charger all winter, so I hope they were being "smart".

2nd EDIT: This was the post that referred to the black wire I disconnected:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/help-with-dvsr-loop-sense-wire.1736/page-3#post-215133
@fraserjr I'm assuming you are following the @Mainah warning and advise re: solar panel charger. Other that that, here is the original post on the Yamaha DVSR:
And the "fix" discussion and proof (again, withe the caveat for your E-solar charging):
You'll need to change up your DVSR wiring so that the batteries can charge independently with the engine off. Otherwise you might as well buy a single bank charger.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/making-dvsr-active-with-engines-on-only.9798/

I was oblivious and fooled by that... until it was explained to me here
https://jetboaters.net/threads/installing-3-bank-charger-on-2016-e-series.11830/page-2
--
--

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@fraserjr I'm assuming you are following the @Mainah warning and advise re: solar panel charger. Other that that, here is the original post on the Yamaha DVSR:

And the "fix" discussion and proof (again, withe the caveat for your E-solar charging):

--
My 3 bank charger is wired directly to each individual battery, wouldn't that take the DVSR out of the equation?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 3 bank charger is wired directly to each individual battery, wouldn't that take the DVSR out of the equation?
That depends on weather you cut the dvsr loop wire. If not then then the DVSR is combining the batteries as a single bank because it is receiving power from the charger leads attached to the start battery. I would much rather have that happen then to cut the loop and attach to engine on wire which would mean that your house battery could not charge from your solar panels. In the flip sode boats with no solar panels and a smart charger should cut the loop and attach to engine on wire.

I am working up an alternative for e-series for those who want the best of both worlds from the smart charger and solar panels. How that gets set up will depend on the charge controller for the panels.

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That depends on weather you cut the dvsr loop wire. If not then then the DVSR is combining the batteries as a single bank because it is receiving power from the charger leads attached to the start battery. I would much rather have that happen then to cut the loop and attach to engine on wire which would mean that your house battery could not charge from your solar panels. In the flip sode boats with no solar panels and a smart charger should cut the loop and attach to engine on wire.

I am working up an alternative for e-series for those who want the best of both worlds from the smart charger and solar panels. How that gets set up will depend on the charge controller for the panels.
I have not cut the DVSR loop so I guess it is acting like a single bank. Would that have any negative effect on the batteries?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have not cut the DVSR loop so I guess it is acting like a single bank. Would that have any negative effect on the batteries?
Not so much a negative effect as not receiving the right conditioning. Even brand new batteries of the same size and type will receive different useage unless always combined as a single bank and even then after a long period of tome they will be different. Batteries naturally lose capacity over time and usage due to the chemical reaction degrading the plates. To get the longest life span and most watts per cycle out of each battery they should be kept fully charged without being over charged. Differing types and largely differing cycle counts will have the biggest impact on a smart charger not being able to do its job when the those differing batteries are connected as a single bank.

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Mainah hey Just a quick thought, if I cut the loop, and install a toggle switch into the loop, don't I still get the best of both worlds. Just have to switch to open for smart charge and closed for underway/smart charge disconnected

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Maybe install the switch right next to the smart charge plug in I'm going to install in the port aft wet locker.

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I know it puts the human error into the factor but for me having the switch located next to the extension cord plug would be an obvious sign to remind you

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Mainah - crap - I hadn't contemplated that cutting the DVSR loop wire would prevent it from switching the solar panel charge! @BareHand42Style -I think that would work, but I'll bet @Mainah is pondering a way to make it work automagically! I guess another alternative would be to put a battery switch in to isolate one battery from the DVSR-and turn that on when you plug in a dual bank charger....would have to be on the circuit that doesn't power the bilge....

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In short - yes. The charger will continue charging ALL your batteries as long as there is ANY one that needs it. Consequently, the capacity of the those units will be diminished due to overcharging. Hence - smart to dumb charger conversion.

I know... It took me a few tries to absorb this when I initially heard about the issue and was warned by @davel501 and others here, as I did not want to hear it. I already had my 2-bank charger installed and assumed I was good to go.

--

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
In short - yes. The charger will continue charging ALL your batteries as long as there is ANY one that needs it. Consequently, the capacity of the those units will be diminished due to overcharging. Hence - smart to dumb charger conversion.

I know... It took me a few tries to absorb this when I initially heard about the issue and was warned by @davel501 and others here, as I did not want to hear it. I already had my 2-bank charger installed and assumed I was good to go.

--
So just to be clear, I will need to cut the DSVR loop and put some sort of switch or quick connect when not using the bank charger?

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@fraserjr yes. We have the same boat. Cutting the loop will fix the smart charger issue. Closing the switch when not charging will allow your solar to work. Like julian said Mainah is developing a way to remove the switch all together though. Give us a couple days

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When I say switch, I'm referring to the one you would install on the loop you cut. It will be a quick fix for now

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Julian that Is why I was having so much trouble understanding all this. We have the solar and as you know now the original fix would not really fix anything kinda.