• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

House Battery?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, @captras, how did you figure this one out, lol?

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@captras I was told by someone from Yamaha that the solar panels are connected to the DVSR, which defaults to charging the Starter batt first, and the house battery 2nd. I do not recall who from Yamaha told me this and if they were corporate or dealer folks...but this makes sense to me.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am guessing here, but when I was installing my plotter, I had a power, negative and a remote wire - if I opt to hook up the remote, the plotter would turn on when the key is turned on and or I could also just hit the power button on the plotter with the key off and the plotter would turn on - it like an over-ride
I assume that's the same with our boat conext screens

Maybe our conext remote wire is tied in to our starter and starter battery, doesn't really matter because remote wires draw hardly no power, its just a trigger to let our electronics know to power up

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

--
The first time I tried to energize my CONNEXT with only the house battery, nothing came on. So I started looking at the different switches and buttons. SYS CTRL sounded like something that might just be the one. Figuring SYSTEM CONTROL should control the system, I took a shot and pressed it....and....WALLAH! No brilliance or genius, just a lucky guess based on what seemed to make sense. I am really glad this helped though!!! They dont make this obvious, because I could not find anything in the owner manual that addressed this issue.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

--
@captras I was told by someone from Yamaha that the solar panels are connected to the DVSR, which defaults to charging the Starter batt first, and the house battery 2nd. I do not recall who from Yamaha told me this and if they were corporate or dealer folks...but this makes sense to me.
May very well be true. I was basing my thoughts on what I was told by the salesman, and the fact that they advertise the solar panels give you up to 30% more time while anchored without engines running.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You can run all your systems off the house battery, leaving the start battery for your engines. I have done that since the beginning and had no issues. Withe JUST the house battery switch on NOTHING works until you depress the SYS CTRL button. There may be other ways to energize the system, but this is what works for me. As far as the solar panels, it is my understandING that they ONLY charge the house battery. The EMERGENCY switch (yellow), to my understanding, can be used if your stay battery is low. This connects the 2 batteries together and should only be used for that purpose. If you leave the EMERGENCY switch on you drain both batteries. I hope this clarifies things, and solves your issues.
I cant seem to find it in the Owners manual (it might be in the service manual) but it stated that you need to leave both (start/house) switches in the on position with engines off to charge from solar panels (the switch for the particular battery needs to be on to charge from solar). Also the "Emergency" switch parallels the batteries, in effect turns two batteries into one.

2017-04-06_8-43-26.jpg

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
From my electrical experience I agree with the above statement. Unless the solar is wired direct somehow to battery

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I also considered figuring out the connection and changing it to the house battery.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There is a wire marked SP1 (Solar Panel 1) with a normal round cable terminal on the end connected to one of the switches or DVSR posts ( I don't know which, but I do know this wire exists). My bet is it is connected to the DVSR positive terminal-but this is a total guess. At least that is where I'd WANT it connected. That way, if there is incoming charge from the solar panels it will charge batt 1 first, then batt 2. I'd want my starter battery topped off before it began working on the house battery. If the starter battery IS fully charged, then it can work on the house.

The other end of the SP1 is connected to the PDB (power distribution block-think of a positive bus), which is in turn connected to the wire harness that goes into the tower (and everything else that needs power).

So if someone disassembles the switches someday....look for a cable with a round terminal end marked SP1+ and we'll solve the mystery! :)

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The voltage display on the connext displays house or start voltage

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The voltage display on the connext displays house or start voltage
It is supposed to display both....but there is continuity in the SPU that causes it to only show Starter battery voltage. This thread shows how you can correct that.

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's what I thought, which is why I would rather it on house. I monitor all the gauges available. But if I can fix that, that's awesome. I feel with all my boats, I use more house battery with all the sonar/ navigation equipment and find it the more depleted battery. Especially when drifting while fishing. That's why I would prefer to charge even if nominally the house since the start would charge while underway especially with dual motors... or does one motor charge house and one charge start. Hmmmmm. Just got an idea

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok so now I'm a lol confused. I'm following with the cutting and capping and running new wire to each battery for the connext voltage display fix but I'm confused by cutting loop on dvsr. Why would I want to do that. Thanks, this battery issue was really bugging me

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok so now I'm a lol confused. I'm following with the cutting and capping and running new wire to each battery for the connext voltage display fix but I'm confused by cutting loop on dvsr. Why would I want to do that. Thanks, this battery issue was really bugging me
A DVSR is designed to switch charging from one battery to another when only one charging source is available. If you install a dual bank charger, the DVSR will "trick" that dual bank charger into thinking only one battery needs charging, and the dual bank charger will charge only one battery, and then when done with that, will charge the 2nd battery. Cutting the red loop on the back of the DVSR turns it off when the engines aren't running, allowing a dual bank charger to operate on both banks at the same time without the interference of the DVSR. (#2 below)

DVSR optional connections.PNG

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Gotcha @Julian When i install my bank charger im totally doing this. Going to def do the voltage display issue fix tommorow after work. Thank you guys so much. I was going to pm you earlier about what to do with our e and x series boats with the solar and dvsr on them for adding a on shore charger. Totally understand now...... i think lmao

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
WARNING!!!!! If you have an e-series boat you may not want to cut the DVSR loop sense wire and connect only to engine on. If @ Julian is correct on how the solar panels are wired the DVSR would not be able to flip over and use the solar panels to charge the house battery without the engines running. On an e-series boat the dvsr loop sense wire would be best connected to a relay that high level triggers with the engine on wire and and flips to the solar panels with engine off. Alternatively the loop sense could be just connected to the solar panels but then the DVSR would not work in low light or night conditions to charge the house battery. So either relay or not cutting at all is best for an e-series owner IMO given the information at hand.

Did not even think of that until reading this thread. If an e-series owner does as advised with the engine on wire only then they are not getting the benefit of charging their house battery with the solar panels provided @ Julian is correct on the wiring.