• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

House Battery?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am happy to help but not being a e-series owner makes it a bit more difficult. I need someone to remove the solar panel positive wire behind the dvsr and monitor volatge readings over differnt amounts of sunlight hitting the solar panels. The purpose is to verify that it has a charge controller that will not output less than 12 volts. This will need to be one of the triggers to combine but relays typically accept far less juice to trigger.

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'll check it tommorow by putting a piece of cardboard over the panels...1/4 1/2 3/4 1 1.25 1.5 and 1.75 covered

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'll check it tommorow by putting a piece of cardboard over the panels...1/4 1/2 3/4 1 1.25 1.5 and 1.75 covered
While you are doing that...see if there are any identifying IDs on the panels....I have to assume Yamaha didn't make them and that they are brand "X"....perhaps that might give us some info? I hope to get into my boat tomorrow too....but I'm working on my GPS install.....have this weekend to complete it before I head to India.... :)

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah my plan is to trout fish with my son in the morning then get my boat out of storage in the afternoon. I'll pm @Mainah and @Julian When I get to the boat

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure how I missed this thread. But all in all everyone needs to have only 2 wires to the house battery from the boat. One is in a sleeve and the other is the thin black ground wire. If both of these are hooked up to your house negatives. Everything is simple. Those are the main requirements to run off just house while anchored! Probably been answered but I did not read through the whole thread haha.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will try to post pics up later.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have not pushed the sys/ctrl button so I cant say that wont work, but I will try it. When I turn house battery on nothing then turn start battery on and the Connext starts up automatically.
I confirmed the SYS/CTRL button turns on the connext system with only the house battery switch on. YEAH!!!

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I cant seem to find it in the Owners manual (it might be in the service manual) but it stated that you need to leave both (start/house) switches in the on position with engines off to charge from solar panels (the switch for the particular battery needs to be on to charge from solar). Also the "Emergency" switch parallels the batteries, in effect turns two batteries into one.

View attachment 53653
Yamaha Solar Panels 2.jpg

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now that's something new

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm very curious to know the rate of charge on those panels?

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Coheeba I was just doing my connext voltage fix and while connecting into the house and start battery isolation switches, i noticed on the dsvr box the red light was illuminated. Both switches were indeed off. This totally contradicts what the manual says. Telling me the solar panels are indeed adding a charge with the battery switches in the off position. @Mainah I think this puts a kink in our plan for the dsvr fix. Still thinking the best way is a switch on the dsvr loop to the open position while placing on a smart charger/tender

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think that the red light can be misleading. I think The latent charge in the system is enough to hold it for a bit. How the charge controller works is key. Does it prevent under voltage? Does it shut off current at target volatge or does it just limit voltage? There is most certainly a way to make everything work together automatically the key is just figuring out how the charge controller works.

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Mainah i connected the new leads from the gateway connector to the isolation switches on non battery side. thus eliminating the possibilty of accidently swapping the leads while removing the batteries at end of season. My thought here of going this side of the isolation switch is to totally remove possibilty of having a draw on it while not in use. Issue i see is when i go to float mode and open the start battery switch it sounds an alarm on dash for low battery voltage cause obviously there is no longer a voltage present on start battery. do you think i should go to the always hot side of the switch? Just dont want to draw while not in use

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah i connected the new leads from the gateway connector to the isolation switches on non battery side. thus eliminating the possibilty of accidently swapping the leads while removing the batteries at end of season. My thought here of going this side of the isolation switch is to totally remove possibilty of having a draw on it while not in use. Issue i see is when i go to float mode and open the start battery switch it sounds an alarm on dash for low battery voltage cause obviously there is no longer a voltage present on start battery. do you think i should go to the always hot side of the switch? Just dont want to draw while not in use
Nice thinking on connecting to the switches. Connecting to the hot side will not draw power when the battery switches are off. The spu receives power from a separate pin (spu2-32)

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
id make that change to your fix. its more of a cleaner more permenant fix i think

Terry Pittman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got my Yamaha SX240 this June and I can turn on only the house battery and no keys in and press any button on the connext system and it will come on and I can listen to the radio and run my lights. Or I can turn on only the starter battery and then I need the key turned on for the starboard engine turned to the on position and connext turns on without pressing any buttons and I can listen to the radio and lights as well. If you all need pictures I can take some this weekend of how they are wired into the switches. During this test the parallel switch was turned off which it should remain that way unless both batteries are dead and you need to start your engines and then turn it back off again after they start.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's interesting. You shouldn't be able to turn on the connext system if the house battery is turned off. Seems like wiring issue? But I may be wrong.

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Chiming in with the same...2016 242 Limited S...need both house and start batteries switched to on to power connects.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Chiming in with the same...2016 242 Limited S...need both house and start batteries switched to on to power connects.
If you turn only house on and press "sys/cntrl" for about 3 sec your connex system wont turn on?