• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Moving to The Dark Side. Pilot House w/F300. Just because... it's Atlantic Northeast.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can help u there too. Got some friends there too. Its right down the road from me. We can tour the facility and place your order. Lol
Thank you, very kind of you. I may take you up on this.
Unless Kate wants to hone her newly acquired USCG skills and we would come down to NJ on the water, which will be quite a task - in April.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those dudes are kinda hard to watch.

That cabin is really interesting. The whole go underneath and then slide over through the skinny part into a more open part is......different. Not sure how I feel about it. With that said, this appears to be totally overnightable. I would even wager a long weekend on the boat isn't out of the question. Need a way to make some warm food, but a cast iron skillet and a grill will get you 99% of the way there for that.

Really interesting boat for certain!
That cabin is rudimentary, at best, not what I would consider a "weekender". I love the design, but we were looking for want something w/more open space than a traditional express or a cabin cruiser, but capable offshore here. And kind of trailerable - we considered larger Dual Consoles from Pursuit and Albemarle (which have a full windshield coming up to the hard top - very , very nice. But the layout of the EW is the best. That "cabin" is a bonus. Ride is supposed to be the best in EW, too, but I have not had a chance to ride one - our purchase is a total leap of faith!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't tow the 280cx with the cruiser, it's just not in that range. I would rent a 3/4 or full size diesel truck, or call a pro.
If I lived closer I'd have no issues towing that whenever, wherever you wanted. I'd consider it my payment to you for all of the stuff I picked up in STL.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski like the other guys have said, and I feel the same, if I lived closer I'd be very glade to help get that beauty wherever you need it. Congrats on that great find! We'll never forget the boat ride and tour you took us on last summer. What a treat! Cheers!🍻

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys are too kind. Looking forward to doing more tours this year!
keep me posted if you travel this way, business or pleasure.

The Edgewater is under contract, still some paperwork remains though, the boat is documented (no title) so it will be fun getting it registered in NJ, lol.
assuming the deal holds, I started shopping for a trailer.
Speaking of trailers, I'm just finding out those rated at 10,000lbs go for about $10k now! With a 3 month wait, nonetheless. Nuts.

Will I be able to trailer? Still not sure, need to think about it.
Coming back from one of the Bimini trips I saw @tim h retrieve his 31ft behemoth, he single-handed her so fast I couldn't even help much... It left me in awe. And - a bit humbled! not sure I can muster such skill set... ever.

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

here ya go !
Oh, I wish I was shopping back then. The price this guy mentioned is just about what I'm paying now for a 3 year old boat... And I feel like I'm getting an incredible deal! My quotes for new units are like 375k, before taxes, no strataglass enclosures, and a year-long wait.
Interesting times.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You guys are too kind. Looking forward to doing more tours this year!
keep me posted if you travel this way, business or pleasure.

The Edgewater is under contract, still some paperwork remains though, the boat is documented (no title) so it will be fun getting it registered in NJ, lol.
assuming the deal holds, I started shopping for a trailer.
Speaking of trailers, I'm just finding out those rated at 10,000lbs go for about $10k now! With a 3 month wait, nonetheless. Nuts.

Will I be able to trailer? Still not sure, need to think about it.
Coming back from one of the Bimini trips I saw @tim h retrieve his 31ft behemoth, he single-handed her so fast I couldn't even help much... It left me in awe. And - a bit humbled! not sure I can muster such skill set... ever.

--
Why don't you leave it registered with the USCG. The sales tax and registration in NJ will be more costly than USCG doc. Is the USCG reg. current? Or does it need renewal?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh, I wish I was shopping back then. The price this guy mentioned is just about what I'm paying now for a 3 year old boat... And I feel like I'm getting an incredible deal! My quotes for new units are like 375k, before taxes, no strataglass enclosures, and a year-long wait.
Interesting times.

--
Wait What? Maybe considering Strataglass or Isinglass? Or your new boat has it, so you will just deal with it. lol

We chose a Pilot house, at least in part, for ease of mods like adding a cobia tower...

In the future, we may consider another boat like Axopar. Ranger Tugs / Cut Water / Jeaneau/ Leader - they all look very attractive...

I don't care for isinglass, that's a separate topic, but being able to run into the safety of a fully enclosed cabin and shut the door behind you and turn on windshield wipers when it gets nasty has great appeal to me! Any one who fished in the NE would know, lol...
--
I know @swatski dislikes Isinglass curtains, but I bet he comes around in a year or two and has a bimini and some curtains made for the Parker's aft deck. We will see him out fishing all Winter then. 🛥🌨❄
It only took 10 months, I knew you would come around eventually, lol. It may have taken a different boat and some weather to convince you. ;) Just some leg pullin. As we get older, some creature comforts are almost a necessity.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Maybe Mrs. @zipper could be employed to make some curtains...🤔
She could, but patterning the job 6-7 hours away would be very difficult. I think his has nearly new included.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why don't you leave it registered with the USCG. The sales tax and registration in NJ will be more costly than USCG doc. Is the USCG reg. current? Or does it need renewal?
Absolutely, I will keep the vessel documented. As soon as we take possession we will be applying to USCG for the COD (certificate of documentation) transfer, no state number on the hull etc.

However, because we are in NJ, we still need to pay NJ taxes and registration on a USCG documented boat, on top of USCG documentation fees - since NJ is one of the states that require it (big surprise! lol).

The only issue is, the COD is required before a boat can be registered in NJ. So, I need the COD in hand to pay them for the little reg sticker that goes in the window to avoid fines, or worse. Currently, the application for the COD transfer takes >6months to approve..., so technically a boat is not legal to operate during that time. I think I'll take my chances though and just carry all the paperwork, as it seems many people do just that.

People used to get away with it by placing vessel name/hailing port on transom of a state that doesn't register and/or tax documented boats, like VA; but that shtick no longer works. The new regulations are - if the boat is used or stored in NJ for more than 180 days/ year, it needs registered and taxes paid. They can easily figure this out from marina logs and have been cracking down on offenders, surveying marinas, so it is not worth the gamble.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wait What? Maybe considering Strataglass or Isinglass? Or your new boat has it, so you will just deal with it. lol
I know...
@zipper - you are funny!

So, the boat we are buying has the full enclosure included which is great, especially considering quotes for new units do not.

I really wanted full windshield such as in ~30' Pursuit or Boston Whaler dual consoles, but at the end it's just became another compromise. The EW 280cx checked many boxes, certainly not all.

These other brands, even BW, would not do too well here offshore.
It's just too rough, most of the time. Waves are typically not huge, most of the time it's 3-4' chop, but with very short period which not many midsize boats can handle gracefully...
I looked very hard at Albemarle 27DC, it's a fantastic boat. But at the end the 280cx seemed like a better choice, bigger w/more creature comforts.

Yes, I'm getting old and cranky!

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I know...
@zipper - you are funny!

So, the boat we are buying has the full enclosure included which is great, especially considering quotes for new units do not.

I really wanted full windshield such as in ~30' Pursuit or Boston Whaler dual consoles, but at the end it's just became another compromise. The EW 280cx checked many boxes, certainly not all.

It's just too rough, most of the time. Waves are typically not huge, most of the time it's 3-4' chop, but with very short period which not many midsize boats can handle gracefully...
I looked very hard at Albemarle 27DC, it's a fantastic boat. But at the end the 280cx seemed like a better choice, bigger w/more creature comforts.

--
So you need to start a new thread called...."Hi, My name is Swatski and I have a boat buying problem" LOL (jealous).

Can't wait to see photos of the new ride (or did I miss those in here or another thread?).....

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So you need to start a new thread call...."Hi, My name is Swatski and I have a boat buying problem" LOL (jealous).

Can't wait to see photos of the new ride (or did I miss those in here or another thread?).....
post #326 on a previous page, but I'll certainly post more when we take delivery.

I'm seriously looking forward to settling down, lol, it's just not been easy but I feel this one may work out...!
If the ride is what it is supposed to be I'll likely keep this one forever, these hulls age extremely well due to the way they are built.

I know it can be done. Just how I feel about the AR240, or the Landcruiser, both keepers.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At least we only pay half the normal sales tax rate on boats, probably the only taxation aspect this state got right.
That is very true.
before we moved in here, in 2016 or so it changed from the usual 7% to now 3.5% - thank you Jersey Shore boaters!

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm seriously looking forward to settling down, lol, it's just not been easy but I feel this one may work out...!
If the ride is what it is supposed to be I'll likely keep this one forever,--
somehow it reminds this boat owner whose last boat was name " this is it" and his current boat is named " guess not".
Yall might have see him post here once or twice LOL

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know...
@zipper - you are funny!

--
I know, Pursuits are very nice. This 32'er draws my eye every time at our marina. Tidewater in the background.

20190527_122722.jpg

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We looked very hard at the new Pursuit 296dc, beautiful boat with a full windshield (coming up all the way to the hard top), the one thing with the Edgewater that is a bit of a shortcoming. Otherwise, it is basically the same size and pricing, similar layout albeit the EW 280cx is just outstanding in the use of space for cruising AND fishing.
EW won as it generally gets higher marks for the ride, a key for us, and construction quality. I do wish it had a full windshield, I won't lie.
Albemarle 27dc came in second, but it is a bit smaller and I didn't want to find myself in a position of looking to add another 2feet in a year, lol.

I will miss the Parker cabin, no question. It's an amazing feeling to ride inside a completely enclosed cabin with real windows, in a small boat; just shut the door closed and it feels like riding inside a truck, completely protected from the elements.

--

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Absolutely, I will keep the vessel documented. As soon as we take possession we will be applying to USCG for the COD (certificate of documentation) transfer, no state number on the hull etc.

However, because we are in NJ, we still need to pay NJ taxes and registration on a USCG documented boat, on top of USCG documentation fees - since NJ is one of the states that require it (big surprise! lol).

The only issue is, the COD is required before a boat can be registered in NJ. So, I need the COD in hand to pay them for the little reg sticker that goes in the window to avoid fines, or worse. Currently, the application for the COD transfer takes >6months to approve..., so technically a boat is not legal to operate during that time. I think I'll take my chances though and just carry all the paperwork, as it seems many people do just that.

People used to get away with it by placing vessel name/hailing port on transom of a state that doesn't register and/or tax documented boats, like VA; but that shtick no longer works. The new regulations are - if the boat is used or stored in NJ for more than 180 days/ year, it needs registered and taxes paid. They can easily figure this out from marina logs and have been cracking down on offenders, surveying marinas, so it is not worth the gamble.

--
If you wanted to postpone your state taxes, perhaps, you could register your boat in Delaware for now? We have no taxes on boats and motors (just the trailers). I believe that holds true for non-residents keeping their boats in Delaware as well.

Jim