• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My 14yr Old Daughter Decided The Military

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
So my wife and I have been talking to our kids about what they plan do do after high school. I said they needed to do something, either go to college, join an apprenticeship and learn a skill or trade (like I did), attend a community college, something to become a proactive member of society. Our son is up in the air about some engineering ideas or something computer related, and my daughter out of nowhere goes "I think the Navy, I don't know what I want to do". Keep in mind they are in 8th grade right now. The next day she brings home the paperwork that SHE filled out to join JROTC at her middle school and all we had to do was review and sign it. Today is day 1 of JROTC. I'm not opposed to this, and actually think its a good idea. What is everyone's thought on this?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
First off I applaud your daughters ability to make a decision on her future !!!

Second I applaud you and your wife’s decision to support her.

Third, totally agree with you about either getting a degree or a skill, or as my Dad used to say you will be picking shit with the chickens. I chose the skill avenue and it served me well.

Fourth, I think military service should be compulsory.

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
JROTC can be a great pathway to the military, it can provide opportunities to join at a higher rank and pay grade. It will also greatly benefit her when she joins by already understanding the expectations and military code of conduct.

My only recommendation is to vet the program, meet with the instructors and make sure it is a quality program. When she enters high school, see if there is a center based Career Technical Education (CTE) program that serves your county and see if they have a JROTC program she can enroll in.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
JROTC can be a great pathway to the military, it can provide opportunities to join at a higher rank and pay grade. It will also greatly benefit her when she joins by already understanding the expectations and military code of conduct.

My only recommendation is to vet the program, meet with the instructors and make sure it is a quality program. When she enters high school, see if there is a center based Career Technical Education (CTE) program that serves your county and see if they have a JROTC program she can enroll in.
Fantastic news thank you. Next weekend there is a program at her school with all branches of the military that we are going to attend to get more information, this might be the right time to ask it. I would assume we have something local to our area as we are a hot bed for transient military and families stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think this is great. The military is a great way to begin life for many folks. Once you're in you stick out your commitment and then you will know whether or not you want to make a career out of it. I personally did not want to make it a career, but it did get me financially stable and off on a good base to pursue whatever I wanted to afterwards. There is a sense of pride later in life knowing you are a Veteran and served your country that she will enjoy forever. You will also have some close relationships that will last for a long time. I communicate daily with 8 other of my fellow Navy buddies who all served on the USS South Carolina together. We get together for 3-4 days every 2 years in a random location to hang out.

The Navy is probably the most technical of all the branches of military. The allow women in Navy Nuclear Power School now so if she pretty smart that is one direction to look at. The money she could make early on is much higher than any of the other rates. The last I heard they were offering close to $100,000 re-enlistment bonus if you decide to re-enlist for just 2 more years. To be a Navy Nuke you must commit to 6 years from the start. You go into the military as an E-3 rank not E-1. As soon as you graduate boot camp they make you an E-4 which is about 10 weeks. Once you graduate Navy Nuclear Power School they give you another bonus. Back when I was in it was $6,000 and that was 1993. God knows what that bonus is now. You also get hazardous duty pay. I believe they have declassified much of the course work now as well so she would get college credit up to about 60-90 hours I believe. Math, Calculus, physics, heat transfer and thermodynamic fluid flow, chemistry, etc. We even studied a little bit of Quantum Physics while in Nuke School.

In my opinion though, I would not be too forceful with trying to make them decide what they want to do or be too early. 8th grade seems a bit too early for the whole "do you know what you want to do in life" speech. I think it's good to kind of get them thinking about it, but school is so stressful these days it seems. The whole social media dynamic just seems like school today is not what it was when we went. You want them to have fun and enjoy high school if possible.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like a great idea, but she's 14... if she changes her mind next year, that's ok too.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I think this is great. The military is a great way to begin life for many folks. Once you're in you stick out your commitment and then you will know whether or not you want to make a career out of it. I personally did not want to make it a career, but it did get me financially stable and off on a good base to pursue whatever I wanted to afterwards. There is a sense of pride later in life knowing you are a Veteran and served your country that she will enjoy forever. You will also have some close relationships that will last for a long time. I communicate daily with 8 other of my fellow Navy buddies who all served on the USS South Carolina together. We get together for 3-4 days every 2 years in a random location to hang out.

The Navy is probably the most technical of all the branches of military. The allow women in Navy Nuclear Power School now so if she pretty smart that is one direction to look at. The money she could make early on is much higher than any of the other rates. The last I heard they were offering close to $100,000 re-enlistment bonus if you decide to re-enlist for just 2 more years. To be a Navy Nuke you must commit to 6 years from the start. You go into the military as an E-3 rank not E-1. As soon as you graduate boot camp they make you an E-4 which is about 10 weeks. Once you graduate Navy Nuclear Power School they give you another bonus. Back when I was in it was $6,000 and that was 1993. God knows what that bonus is now. You also get hazardous duty pay. I believe they have declassified much of the course work now as well so she would get college credit up to about 60-90 hours I believe. Math, Calculus, physics, heat transfer and thermodynamic fluid flow, chemistry, etc. We even studied a little bit of Quantum Physics while in Nuke School.

In my opinion though, I would not be too forceful with trying to make them decide what they want to do or be too early. 8th grade seems a bit too early for the whole "do you know what you want to do in life" speech. I think it's good to kind of get them thinking about it, but school is so stressful these days it seems. The whole social media dynamic just seems like school today is not what it was when we went. You want them to have fun and enjoy high school if possible.
I agree 100%. When I was going into high school towards the end of our middle school year, we had to sit with a counselor for the high school and figure out our classes for the next 4 years on what our plans were so we could achieve that plan. That's pretty much how this conversation started. She will be a freshman next year so I would assume she will have to do the same at the end of this year.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I enlisted when I was 17 years old. Best decision I ever made. The military teaches teamwork, respect. and discipline. All traits that will be needed later on in life. I would also recommend a MOS that could translate into a career after the military. Only skills I learned being in the infantry was to dig really nice foxholes and shoot people from really far away.
All good skills to have but don’t correlate to civilian life. My buddy was a radar repairmen in the Air Force and has a really good job working on radar facilities all over the south.
Also the modern GI BILL is outstanding.

Last edited:

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I enlisted when I was 17 years old. Best decision I ever made. The military teaches teamwork,respect. and discipline. All traits that will be needed latter on in life.
I spent a lot of my younger years with my grandfather who was on the USS New Jersey in Korea. There are certain traits I still have and do that are common for me, walking into a house or building taking your hat off, dressing people are Sir or Mam.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If she sticks with it and likes it encourage her to look at ROTC while in a college. They have many scholarship programs that will pay for a majority if not all of your school. After you graduate you commission as a officer, and owe the military 4-10 years of service, depending on your job. Officer side pays much better, and generally the QOL is much better.

Going guard/reserve once out of high school is also a option to look at. One weekend a month, 2 weeks a year type stuff. Depending on the job/unit there can be opportunities to work extra “shifts” for some extra cash, or even be a full time guard member. Many states have programs for free college tuition at that states college system for those serving in the guard. It provides some great structure after high school, college benefits, while allowing you to not move across the country/word and pursue outside career opportunities.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I joined the navy right out of high school even though I had been accepted to several colleges and was prepared to start at San Diego state. I think it is one of the best decisions I ever made. To this day I still get up early and get as much done as I can before most other people I know get out of bed.

The GI bill benefits can’t be beat but you have to earn them. I know a guy who got all of his law school tuition paid by the U.S., well over $100k. Many more vets I know were able to buy their first homes with a $1 down payment and many government and private companies contract with vets on a preferred basis.

my son’s friend joined the ROTC program as a freshman in college. Now they have him traveling internationally learning foreign languages and about foreign cultures. Aside from this the military teaches, it’s successful members, discipline and there is a lot to be said about the pride you feel serving your country.

that stated, I think the military is a great alternative to college or trade schools, especially for those who are not sure of what field they want to study (caveat, if you are strong enough both physically and mentally).

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My daughter did Navy JROTC in high school. Only downside was we had some very early mornings, as they sometimes drilled before class. The Commander of her unit was okay with the kids, the Master Sergeant was phenomenal! My daughter had a health issue and we figured out when she was a junior in high school that she wouldn't be able to get a commission. Still it was time well spent, and she still has some fond memories of the experience ten year later.

Jim

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My older brother is retired Airforce and man he have his shit together financially, physically and mentally. The military really took care of him and he always has good stories of places he's been and things he has seen. My youngest son is leaning towards the military and it has a lot to do with my brother.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
This is all great information for her and me as a parent!

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great idea and I'd say go for it!

I'm actually active duty Navy and have about 24 years of service. I was an enlisted Submariner for the first 12 years of my career and eventually became a Navy Chief (E-7). About 10 years ago I was Commissioned through the Limited Duty Officer program and was just selected as a Lieutenant Commander.

There has been a lot of ups and downs but there are a ton of benefits! The Navy has paid for my Bachelors and Masters degrees and I get to transfer my GI Bill to my son! Cant' forget about the VA home loan and medical.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you ever have any questions as I've been in practically every community the Navy can throw at you: Submarines, Surface, Aviation, Naval Special Warfare, Intelligence, SeaBees, and Special Security.

Last edited:

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Fourth, I think military service should be compulsory.
Even though I tend to be dovish when it comes to military engagement, I agree with compulsory service. 1-2 years, like is done in Germany or Switzerland, leaves you with a populace that understands what the impact of military involvement is and a greater respect for what it means to engage in war.

That said, I worked for years in the humanitarian space in armed conflict areas and interacted with the US military and they are overwhelmingly upstanding folks.

Last edited:

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Today was military career day. We got literature from all branches and a pendant from the AirForce.
5015E5EE-5234-4BA5-9DFE-4D9021C76062.jpeg

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Just noticed these…
230B2AEF-1031-4ED4-B1B7-CC67214493B9.jpeg