• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Jet Boat Owner, here she is....and questions

Cbullard3895

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I just picked up my 2022 212se just in time for winter!

A couple of questions for the group:
- When storing for the winter or longer term (three side enclosed) do you use a trickle charger?
- Do you remove the clean-out ports?
- Winterizing seems to be just blowing out the water, treating fule and fogging the engines.

- I've added thrust vectors and plan to tint the windows and some audio upgrades, are there any other you would recommend?

IMG_1547.jpgIMG_1546.jpgIMG_1548.jpgIMG_1549.jpgIMG_1550.jpgIMG_1551.jpgIMG_1552.jpgIMG_1553.jpg

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get used to removing the plugs religiously, after every outing. It will save you headaches, just get used to the idea as part of your post-trip clean up. Take the plugs out, after every trip. So yes, keep them out during the winter. A trickle charger (I may be using a generic name, perhaps battery maintainer is the correct thing you need) is a necessity to extend battery life. Pulsetech discontinued my model, but their customer service was great as they replaced mine after several years even when it was out of warranty.

This could be their newer version but it is alot pricier than what it was a couple years ago when I was looking to replace the one that no longer worked for me - which they simple swapped out. But hey, Please read https://jetboaters.net/threads/politics-religion-and-other-volatile-topics.1801/!

PRO-12-RP RediPulse 12 Station Battery Maintenance System

And if you use non ethanol gas, you don't need to worry about treating your gas. I have used non eth gas exclusively and never had a lick of a problem in starting up the next spring.

One thing I did with my current boat is keep a log of each and every outing, to include my non eth gas receipts. Of course, keep all receipts for maintenance and add ons. The next owner (if that ever comes) will appreciate knowing you kept records and kept the boat in tip top shape, especially using non eth gas. Lol you will find these boats are very low maintenance. Change the oil and plugs once a year, turn the key and go. Year after year after year. At least that has been my experience on my SX230.

[Edited to remove political content]

Last edited by a moderator:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes....I typically remove the batteries and put them on a charger over the winter. I use zip ties to hold all the wires together in groups so it is easy to replace them in the spring. It is amazing how many people pull their batteries and then miss a wire when reinstalling-this trick will save you every year!

Yes...fuel stabilizer, rev the engines briefly. I don't fog the engines (short winter here in NC). I put damp rid throughout the boat, and remove anything and everything from the inside and store inside.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Get a can of silicone spray and hose the clean out plugs down liberally. This will not only preserve the rubber, but also makes installing and removing the plugs super easy. In regards to clean out plugs, get a J blade type of knife, and a utility razor knife with standard and hooked type of blades to clear any lines or other obstructions from the pumps. Also go to the FAQ section and look up clearing obstructions.

As @OCMD stated, if you can get your hands on non ethanol fuel run it. I run non ethanol fuel and I put a stabilizer in the fuel as the end of the season approaches. The proper way to treat fuel is to add the stabilizer to the tank and then fill the tank up, then go for a ride in your boat to thoroughly mix the stabilizer and run it through the system. Especially true if you if your only option is ethanol laced fuel.

There’s a lot of discussion on fogging of the engine. I personally do not fog my engine, but my boat stays in a heated shop through the months of solid water.

Trickle chargers are a thing of a long by gone era. Get a battery conditioner, NOCO, PULSETECH, MinnKota etc.. mount on your boat and plug it in each time you return from an outing and your batteries will be fully charged for the next outing. The difference between a trickle charger and a battery maintainer is that a trickle charger delivers a constant low amperage charge that will eventually boil off the electrolyte and destroy your battery. A battery maintainer is a smart charger and will be able to provide a specific charge to the battery type, flooded, AGM etc. Said charger will give a good bulk charge, a maintenance charge/float, as well as doing regular equalizing charge on flooded batteries. Spend the money and a little time to install this charger with the plug installed in the boat and you will not have battery issues.

And most importantly if you have not done so already, RTM, or read the manual. Blowing out the excess water from the water locks aka mufflers is important. The rest of the boat will drain down. Do you live in an area that freezes?

Do you have the factory shipping cover? If not get a cover and put it on the boat.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Back East I winterized my boats like a fiend. Read the manual as stated above. Additionally I found that winterizing the boat not only included the engine, interior, exterior etc but should include all the things that touch the water especially if you are in the salt. Dipping the boat in saltwater every weekend during the spring/summer manages to re-wet the salt buildup on things like threads, inserts, nuts and bolts of the pump and wash it away but long periods of storage allows the salt to dry out and turn into a crust that can make their removal in times of need really difficult.

Those in the know have probably rounded out a few allen bolts trying to get the ride plate or intake grate off due to the salt crust. It pays in the long run to take these out and re-grease and add them to your maintenance schedules. You do not want to try to remove a rounded out stainless allen head bolt laying on your back under your boat...

Cbullard3895

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Get a can of silicone spray and hose the clean out plugs down liberally. This will not only preserve the rubber, but also makes installing and removing the plugs super easy. In regards to clean out plugs, get a J blade type of knife, and a utility razor knife with standard and hooked type of blades to clear any lines or other obstructions from the pumps. Also go to the FAQ section and look up clearing obstructions.

As @OCMD stated, if you can get your hands on non ethanol fuel run it. I run non ethanol fuel and I put a stabilizer in the fuel as the end of the season approaches. The proper way to treat fuel is to add the stabilizer to the tank and then fill the tank up, then go for a ride in your boat to thoroughly mix the stabilizer and run it through the system. Especially true if you if your only option is ethanol laced fuel.

There’s a lot of discussion on fogging of the engine. I personally do not fog my engine, but my boat stays in a heated shop through the months of solid water.

Trickle chargers are a thing of a long by gone era. Get a battery conditioner, NOCO, PULSETECH, MinnKota etc.. mount on your boat and plug it in each time you return from an outing and your batteries will be fully charged for the next outing. The difference between a trickle charger and a battery maintainer is that a trickle charger delivers a constant low amperage charge that will eventually boil off the electrolyte and destroy your battery. A battery maintainer is a smart charger and will be able to provide a specific charge to the battery type, flooded, AGM etc. Said charger will give a good bulk charge, a maintenance charge/float, as well as doing regular equalizing charge on flooded batteries. Spend the money and a little time to install this charger with the plug installed in the boat and you will not have battery issues.

And most importantly if you have not done so already, RTM, or read the manual. Blowing out the excess water from the water locks aka mufflers is important. The rest of the boat will drain down. Do you live in an area that freezes?

Do you have the factory shipping cover? If not get a cover and put it on the boat.
Thank you for the detailed response. My plan is to always run non-E gas and I'll prob still do a stabilizer just to be on the safe side.
For the Battery Conditioner; these are new to me...I've found a few options and would appreciate any suggestions.
- https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS10-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B07W3QT226/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=CjwKCAiA-9uNBhBTEiwAN3IlNLNXSZQuzuCYC14nFegA5aA2zH8N_8BEbk2NlvTMLhhfxtcvtTcj6xoCnNMQAvD_BwE&hvadid=490225795104&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009658&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4117304431010012366&hvtargid=kwd-914880681&hydadcr=24656_13446922&keywords=battery+conditioner&qid=1639415295&sr=8-5

- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09195Z3G4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&ascsubtag=853506051-2-257772155.1639415299&tag=shopperz_origin1-20

- PRO-12-RP RediPulse 12 Station Battery Maintenance System

When hooking them up do you connect directly to the batteries?

I am currently reading through the manual so I'm sure I'll get to many of my answers there.

I do have the travel cover and plan to put it back on after the 70degree days are gone here in NC....until then I'm hoping to get out and at least cruise and practice docking.

Chrisbert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Thank you for the detailed response. My plan is to always run non-E gas and I'll prob still do a stabilizer just to be on the safe side.
For the Battery Conditioner; these are new to me...I've found a few options and would appreciate any suggestions.
- https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS10-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B07W3QT226/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=CjwKCAiA-9uNBhBTEiwAN3IlNLNXSZQuzuCYC14nFegA5aA2zH8N_8BEbk2NlvTMLhhfxtcvtTcj6xoCnNMQAvD_BwE&hvadid=490225795104&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009658&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4117304431010012366&hvtargid=kwd-914880681&hydadcr=24656_13446922&keywords=battery+conditioner&qid=1639415295&sr=8-5

- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09195Z3G4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&ascsubtag=853506051-2-257772155.1639415299&tag=shopperz_origin1-20

- PRO-12-RP RediPulse 12 Station Battery Maintenance System

When hooking them up do you connect directly to the batteries?

I am currently reading through the manual so I'm sure I'll get to many of my answers there.

I do have the travel cover and plan to put it back on after the 70degree days are gone here in NC....until then I'm hoping to get out and at least cruise and practice docking.
My NOCO has terminal rings that I attached to the batteries instead of clips.

Skyhawk223

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
The NOCO battery tenders attach directly to the batteries and pulling out the plugs is another good idea.

Chrisbert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
That's the one I will buy when my boat finally comes. I had NOCO on my old boat, but no pics. I just mounted it near the batteries and put the rings on.

Skyhawk223

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
That's the one I bought and used. I thought about mounting next to the batteries using velcro but never got around to it. I removed it when the boat went into winter hibernation.