• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No antifreeze for winterization

Brandon neidemire

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey there boaters. I just watched a you tube video with a jet boat admiral not using antifreeze for winterization on Yamaha jet boat. What is your opinions on this ?I have an sx 240 2013

Some use it and Some don't. Also it would depend on where you live and the winters. I am going to use it this year for my boat and run some through each flush port. I figure it couldn't hurt and could actually help.

It's not required, just blow out your motors. I do it just for peace of mind and because it costs about $10 and 10 minutes of my time - I already need to buy it and get the pump setup to winterize the shower. *shrug*

Hey there boaters. I just watched a you tube video with a jet boat admiral not using antifreeze for winterization on Yamaha jet boat. What is your opinions on this ?I have an sx 240 2013
Many debates on this topic. I used to store my boat(s) in Wisconsin in an unheated garage. NEVER have I used anti freeze on the engines....utter waste of time....but like placebos....makes many people feel good. :cool:

Now....anti freeze on ballast and water tanks.....not a bad idea.

Many debates on this topic. I used to store my boat(s) in Wisconsin in an unheated garage. NEVER have I used anti freeze on the engines....utter waste of time....but like placebos....makes many people feel good. :cool:

I agree with @Julian but my OCD gets the best me sometimes. I already got 5 gallons of antifreeze non poisonous and non toxic so will do it this year at least.

Captain Leon, @Leojay here on jet boaters .net. He has a great winterizing video on youtube where he pumps RV antifreeze into the engine via the flush port. Plus he plugs up all other ports and rust proofs other things.

I did the RV anti freeze thing last winter a couple of different times as I was still using my boat in between hard freezes. Eventually I just would make sure to blow the mufflers out well after taking the boat out and went with that from then on. Having said that I think putting the RV anti freeze in is a good idea not only from a freeze protection stand point, but also from a corrosion protection stand point. Cheap insurance. You will need 4-5 gallons per engine as a lot runs out the jet pump, unless you have tow valves installed to force all of the anti freeze up through the engine.

Captain Leon, @Leojay here on jet boaters .net. He has a great winterizing video on youtube where he pumps RV antifreeze into the engine via the flush port. Plus he plugs up all other ports and rust proofs other things.

I did the RV anti freeze thing last winter a couple of different times as I was still using my boat in between hard freezes. Eventually I just would make sure to blow the mufflers out well after taking the boat out and went with that from then on. Having said that I think putting the RV anti freeze in is a good idea not only from a freeze protection stand point, but also from a corrosion protection stand point. Cheap insurance. You will need 4-5 gallons per engine as a lot runs out the jet pump, unless you have tow valves installed to force all of the anti freeze up through the engine.
The water runs out the back....any water that remains in the round boxes (small amount at the bottom), either evaporates or has plenty of room to expand in the ROUND edged mufflers. As for corrosion....it will be DRY inside the engine. I'm not aware that dried anti freeze leaves any anti corrosion capabilities behind. But again....if you have time and money to waste....and it makes you feel good....go for it!

Well thanks everyone for opinions and information. I'm looking to sell it before it freezes here in Ohio . But if not I would like to get it put away correctly. Last year I used antifreeze but saw many people not doing that so it lit a bulb in my head. Thank you very much everyone !!

I just start up each motor and bump the throttles a couple times at the end of the season. I like to do it once at the launch, then again when i get home assuming some more water has rattled out of there. Is doing it twice a good/bad idea? Also does incline matter? i like to be on a slight incline (bow higher than stern) to help run all the water out, no idea if this makes a difference

I haven't tested if an incline makes a difference, but I can tell you that based on my experience doing it twice is a good idea. I blow water out of the engines after every outing, not just when it's time to winterize. I usually do it once at the ramp, and again when we're back to the boat storage facility. When I do it the second time, I always get additional water out.

I don't antifreeze but I am south of the Mason Dixon line. Usually I put the boat away Thanksgiving weekend and open her back up in early March. I also blow the motors out twice and open all the plugs and back the boat down the boat launch for extra drainage. If I still lived up north I might use some antifreeze, not just for piece of mind but playing with the boat usually gets me out of some household choirs?

I haven't tested if an incline makes a difference, but I can tell you that based on my experience doing it twice is a good idea. I blow water out of the engines after every outing, not just when it's time to winterize. I usually do it once at the ramp, and again when we're back to the boat storage facility. When I do it the second time, I always get additional water out.
Basically did the same last winter for our 2020 212x, except we did the engine blow out several times before storing it in a barn in NH. Didn't do anything for the ballast as well, just made sure it was as empty as possible.

It‘s just one person‘s experience but we had no issues not using antifreeze.

The water runs out the back....any water that remains in the round boxes (small amount at the bottom), either evaporates or has plenty of room to expand in the ROUND edged mufflers. As for corrosion....it will be DRY inside the engine. I'm not aware that dried anti freeze leaves any anti corrosion capabilities behind. But again....if you have time and money to waste....and it makes you feel good....go for it!

As I said, I did the anti freeze at first then I didn‘t later on and just stuck with blowing out the mufflers thoroughly. The other thing the FSH owners need to be sure about is that the raw water wash down lines are blown out with some low pressure compressed air as these lines go up and down on their way to the quick disconnect.

What Julian said... I blow the water out of the exhaust with a few revs of the motors and then I pour RV antifreeze into the the flush ports. I store my boat in an unheated garage in WI. I haven't had any issues in the 3 years that I've owned the boat.

What Julian said... I blow the water out of the exhaust with a few revs of the motors and then I pour RV antifreeze into the the flush ports. I store my boat in an unheated garage in WI. I haven't had any issues in the 3 years that I've owned the boat.
I didn't say anything about pouring anti freeze into flush ports......that will simply run out the jet pump onto the ground (literally- follow the pipes if you don't believe me).

Just rev it a couple of times....and you are done with the engine(s). Ballast tanks, water tanks and washdown hoses need more attention.

I've never used antifreeze in either of my boats. Rinker powered by a 3.0L Mercruiser, or this Yamaha. Pull the plugs and drain them. So long as the water has room to expand it can freeze all it wants.

If you want to use anti-freeze, get a set of hose clamps and clamp off the tube from the jet pump to the engine before you do it, otherwise you'll literally poor it on the ground by way of the engine.

Yamaha told me the engines are self-draining and don't need "winterizing" at all. The water in the exhaust has plenty of room to expand and it's not restricted, so no freezing issues. They recommend fogging and such for "long term storage", but not for the 5 months of winter storage here. They said the biggest issue is owners not draining the hull and water freezes inside the transom/bilge area causing damage to components and rust - rust being a big issue if it's not dry in there.

Last winter I just did what they recommended - pull transom plug, fuel stabilizer added, start the engines out of the water for 15 seconds to push some water out the exhaust watercans, wash and wax, and close her up. It hit -44 at one night here and no issues at all. They said you don't need to fill the fuel tank either, just stabilize what you got in there. Did basically the same with I/O drives for years without issues. I just follow what the manufacturer says. Come spring just pop her in the water and fire her up, good to go.
:)
Changing oil and plugs is part of regular maintenance, but this is about "winterizing"...

Anyone that wants antifreeze better plan on picking it up soon…I picked some up when it first hit the shelves a month ago. It was around 3 bucks a gallon.

Now I am seeing it for six or seven dollars. I suspect that means there is a limited supply.

FJB

Back