• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Radio antenna on tower options

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Here are pics of the mount I used and radio

Also linked in my signature under 242X link (if you don't see my signature turn your phone on its side)
It's hard for me to tell from the pictures, where does the cable come out at the base of the tower? Is there a way to keep it concealed straight down into the boat or do you need to drill another hole for the cable to come out at the base and it's exposed for a short bit before being tucked back in to run to the helm?

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I drilled a hole in beside the base. You can easily run it in the void up to the helm. I would mention if you drop your tower alot you probably would eventually pinch the cable in the block that tower sits in . I never lower my tower.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
the taller the antenna and the rougher the water the more the antenna will sway and direct the frequency to the water and shorter stronger antenna will sway less and transmit straighter. theres a bunch that will argue with me but dont care , airline pilot , and these frequencies are line of sight. if you have a 8' antenna like most do and you have 4' wave tha mean you boat will rock mostly sida to side , so will your antenna is 8' tall and you are standing still in calm wtwer it will have , probably, grater range. but if you are rocking side by side most od the transmition is hitting the ocean a 4 ' antenna is sturdier therefore lef rocking side to side. i was able to transmit to boat us in Lauderdale 35 miles out of miami with my 4 ' while my friend in distress with an 8" couldnt. Mine was mounted lower on the side of my 2019 ar242se. MY EXPERIENCE.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
the taller the antenna and the rougher the water the more the antenna will sway and direct the frequency to the water and shorter stronger antenna will sway less and transmit straighter. theres a bunch that will argue with me but dont care , airline pilot , and these frequencies are line of sight. if you have a 8' antenna like most do and you have 4' wave tha mean you boat will rock mostly sida to side , so will your antenna is 8' tall and you are standing still in calm wtwer it will have , probably, grater range. but if you are rocking side by side most od the transmition is hitting the ocean a 4 ' antenna is sturdier therefore lef rocking side to side. i was able to transmit to boat us in Lauderdale 35 miles out of miami with my 4 ' while my friend in distress with an 8" couldnt. Mine was mounted lower on the side of my 2019 ar242se. MY EXPERIENCE.
I'm struggling with the geometry on this theory. A boat in waves rocking will have the same angle to the water 1' off the water as it is 12' off the water.....right?

This also reminds me of why we now take a drift anchor with us when we cross (it is useful for fishing in the current), but also good if your have engine issues. Drop the drift anchor, attached to the bow, and keep the bow into the waves reducing lateral rocking. We learned this after the 2017 Bimini rescue at sea. The couple we rescued had been out on the rolling wakes for perhaps 2 hours and were so sea sick they could barely move.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ok, I had to go and research this, and, of course, found a good page that talks about DB gain on antennas and how to chose them:

This is what would come into play with @jocolo21 's wave issue. What it means however is that your short antenna will not reach as far as a longer one, but will be more consistent in those shorter distances if you are in waves.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Of course, you could always just use a handheld VHF (good to 3-8 miles) and a satellite communicator (like a Garmin InReach) good anywhere in the world (to summon assistance/tow or rescue). You have the added safety of the units being: wearable (attach to your PFD), fully independent power sources and the Garmin provides redundant GPS navigation.

A fixed mount VHF marine radio only has a range of about 25 miles, and it has a range of probably 0 miles if - you have a serious electrical failure, a fire, hit something that causes a major hull breach, have some other flooding issue and etc. and etc.

The Garmin costs about the same as a fixed VHF radio, and a basic communications plan cost about the same as 4 gallons of fuel per month. You can also use the Garmin on land (hiking, driving in remote areas, foreign countries).

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Ok, I had to go and research this, and, of course, found a good page that talks about DB gain on antennas and how to chose them:

This is what would come into play with @jocolo21 's wave issue. What it means however is that your short antenna will not reach as far as a longer one, but will be more consistent in those shorter distances if you are in waves.
Agree, but not an expert in any fashion. It looks like the db value changes the shape of the transmission. But using their range calculator, the 4' should transmit farther than the 3' whip (same db). Like you said, a larger (ie. 6db) antenna would work better in calmer waters. I like the idea of a drift anchor.

Of course, a lot of other things come into play like, but not limited to, quality/power/type of both radios, atmospheric conditions, type/quality of anttena/wires/connectors, interferencen from other sources, etc...

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I mounted a Shakespear quick connect antenna on my tower:

This is what it looks like (sorry, these are the best I have):

As others have said, I can remove the antenna completely, or fold it down if I just didn't like the look (haven't bothered). Of course swapping to a longer antenna would be a snap.

I put this on in anticipation of going to Bimini last summer, which never happened, but I've never had the opportunity to these the full range.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I mounted a Shakespear quick connect antenna on my tower:

This is what it looks like (sorry, these are the best I have):

As others have said, I can remove the antenna completely, or fold it down if I just didn't like the look (haven't bothered). Of course swapping to a longer antenna would be a snap.

I put this on in anticipation of going to Bimini last summer, which never happened, but I've never had the opportunity to these the full range.
I like it! Do you have a link to that mount? It looks like it just clamps to the tower, no drilling? I saw Shakespeare makes a clamp mount but didn't look like it was big enough for the diameter of the tower (only 1-1.5"). I can't tell on that Scarab for sure but the tube on my 212X is over 2".

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
What about power - do you all run from the radio at the helm back to the battery or tap onto something already at the helm?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What about power - do you all run from the radio at the helm back to the battery or tap onto something already at the helm?
Alot ot people install a 6-ckt. Blue Sea pos/neg fuse panel at the helm. Feed it from the battery with the correct sized wiring for the run of 100a and circuit breaker. Something like this. ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover - Blue Sea Systems
You may find later you want to add trim tabs, an amp, lighting, chartplotter as well as the radio. That is what I did. It makes installation of all that (electrically) easier/cleaner. Although, I installed in port side storage locker due to the VHF and fishfinder being just above on the dash. I also fed my trim tabs and kenwood amp from it.

I liked this one so much that I also installed one on the Beneteau in the Navpod for the Axiom 9 RV, wind instruments, auto pilot as well as lighting and accessory needs.

20190708_071445.jpg

20190708_071509.jpg

Last edited:

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I like it! Do you have a link to that mount? It looks like it just clamps to the tower, no drilling? I saw Shakespeare makes a clamp mount but didn't look like it was big enough for the diameter of the tower (only 1-1.5"). I can't tell on that Scarab for sure but the tube on my 212X is over 2".
Yep, I shamelessly stole @kthrash 's idea of using a tower speaker mount and attaching my antenna to it. Here is part of the thread that better explains my install.

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I didn't want to risk drawing too much power through the OEM circuit breakers, so I ran a line from a switched power source (ie media system) to a relay that hooked directly to the battery (via fuse). I then connected a fuse box (similar to what @zipper has) to that line to run my accessories. May have been overkill but I'm comfortable that the system will not over tax the OEM circuits and, of course, still be protected.

Last edited:

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Looks good! I think I am going to try the same thing. Which Shakespeare QC mount did you use? The plate or the clamp one? Not sure if it matters.
It was this one. I just removed the base and put the bolt through hole.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Alot ot people install a 6-ckt. Blue Sea pos/neg fuse panel at the helm. Feed it from the battery with the correct sized wiring for the run of 100a and circuit breaker. Something like this. ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover - Blue Sea Systems
You may find later you want to add trim tabs, an amp, lighting, chartplotter as well as the radio. That is what I did. It makes installation of all that (electrically) easier/cleaner. Although, I installed in port side storage locker due to the VHF and fishfinder being just above on the dash. I also fed my trim tabs and kenwood amp from it.

I liked this one so much that I also installed one on the Beneteau in the Navpod for the Axiom 9 RV, wind instruments, auto pilot as well as lighting and accessory needs.

View attachment 138371

View attachment 138372
Anyone have tips on where you connect power to the battery if there is a battery shutoff and I want it to be on the other side of the disconnect so if the battery is shutoff it will cut power?

Also, what about where to ground? Is there a common place good for grounding near the helm on these boats?

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s not a tower install but it’s a very clean install of my Standard Horizon VHF. I didn’t want to deal with a handheld....remembering to bring it, charging, is it charged? 48616CC0-2814-4EAF-88D6-57D8677FED98.jpeg2D8B908C-A08B-4954-A75B-71C96B7964D2.jpeg3737053A-9436-4C1B-B986-42BF9E538226.jpegFFF9FB46-FE19-472A-8E34-20FB50A119D0.jpeg

Last edited: