• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering cable sleeve guide disconnected.

Weeble

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just finished installing the Cobra Jet Steering system in preparation for an Easter holiday trip tomorrow. However, after I completed the install, I noticed that the starboard steering cable sleeve guide had come disconnected from the rear of boat. Without it the cable has no rigidity to move the jet left to right. How does this reattach or is there a way to keep it attached until I can properly replace?

In the 1st pic you can see I slid the rubber boot back for a clearer picture. The tube has a flared end but does not lock or stay connected if just pushed in.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I really would like to use the boat as our whole vacation was planned around it.

Attachments

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Look for a post/thread from @HangOutdoors about replacing the steering cables, or something like that. I can't recall what he did on this, or if it was someone else.

I'd try some electrical tape after sliding the boot back on, for a temporary attempt. Afterwards, disassembling everything and trying some heat shrink tubing over the boot may be more permanent.

At the very least, head to Home Depot and pick up a wax ring for a toilet. @Cobra Jet Steering LLC has suggested using that to lube and seal up stuff like this, and @HangOutdoors has done this too, if I'm recalling correctly.

It seems like those always seem to eventually come loose, the beeswax in the wax ring along with some heatshrink tubing seems like it'd be your best bet, with reapplication as needed, to address the problem, barring any kind of adhesive for that black ring. They apparently don't sell them separately, they come with the steering cable set.

Weeble

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Look for a post/thread from @HangOutdoors about replacing the steering cables, or something like that. I can't recall what he did on this, or if it was someone else.

I'd try some electrical tape after sliding the boot back on, for a temporary attempt. Afterwards, disassembling everything and trying some heat shrink tubing over the boot may be more permanent.

At the very least, head to Home Depot and pick up a wax ring for a toilet. @Cobra Jet Steering LLC has suggested using that to lube and seal up stuff like this, and @HangOutdoors has done this too, if I'm recalling correctly.

It seems like those always seem to eventually come loose, the beeswax in the wax ring along with some heatshrink tubing seems like it'd be your best bet, with reapplication as needed, to address the problem, barring any kind of adhesive for that black ring. They apparently don't sell them separately, they come with the steering cable set.
I should have started that this is a 2010 AR 2010 in great condition that I just purchased.

When initially researching, I did see the thread, I believe, from @HangOutdoors, that was a similar issue as this. That also occurred after installing steering force stabilizers.

The heat shrink wrap may be the best option. I was considering flex seal tape but I wasn’t sure if it would provide enough resistance to secure it, with how frequently that steering cable has to move back and forth, to keep the sleeve from pulling free again. I’ve lubricated and it appears to slide freely, now.

I guess I was wondering how that cable sleeve originally secured to back of boat? It doesn’t seem to have any threading to “screw” in and I don’t see anything that “broke off”, or do I see any where it was clamped etc? I was hoping there was a “trick” to resecure as designed.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It a flair and once the flair pulls out....... you might remove the end cable and push the flair back into the case(it might stay) if not the whole cable will have to be removed and a flair tool to expand the flair and slid back onto cable.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bugslayer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Weeble

This is what I did to mine. It wasn't pulled out, but tye boot was wiped out. So I pulled the boot closest to the transom and used 1/2" clear poly tube. Hose clamped it back at the transom without the boot. Cut it to lengthe so it ended up at the front boot. Slid the front boot back on and inside the clear tube. Hose clamped that joint also.
I bet this would hold the whole works together.
20240224_180030.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length