• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Stuck on the water at Lake Shelbyville

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, this weekend I learned a little something new about my jet boat: Carry a small pry bar. Generally, as a rule, I carry a small tool kit when I go out, but not this time...Murphy's Law and whatnot.

In planning to attend the Lake Shelbyville meet this July, I decided to get the boat out for the first time this season and go scout the lake a bit. It was a brisk and windy 60 degree day, and the sun didn't come out like the weatherman predicted until late in the afternoon. There was a near constant 1 - 2' chop in the main channels from the wind. Still, we found a calm cove and managed to make a nice afternoon of it. We put in at Bo Woods ramp on the North end of the lake, and ran all the way down to Lithia Springs. It was on the way back that the 'fun' began.

We were headed back North, and had just passed Eagle Creek recreation area when my fiance suggested a walk along the shore. I was gonna nose in, but the wind and waves were more than we wanted to fight, so we decided to find another spot. Mind you, the lake is still at winter pool level. When I went to back away from shore, it took a fair amount of throttle to overcome the wind and waves, and I could hear the pea gravel bottom being sucked through the pumps a bit. Anyway, we got back out into the channel, and...no forward gear. Both buckets were stuck in reverse and would NOT budge. After much investigation, and some very cold and wet arms reaching into the pumps from above and below the deck, I couldn't find any obvious obstruction. It was a very quiet day on the lake with very few boaters, so we ended up backing the boat all the way to Eagle Creek ramp, and found a good samaritan to give me a ride back to Bo Woods to get my truck and trailer. After loading it and pulling out of the water, I still couldn't see any debris, but I got a tire iron from my truck and gave the buckets a bit of gentle persuasion, and they both freed up, and tiny smaller-than-pea-sized rocks fell out of the buckets. After that, they both moved freely, and all was right in the world...but our boating day was concluded.

So, TLDR, our reverse buckets don't like small gravel...carry tools...The End.

That sucks. At most ramps near us, the bottom is a mix of mud and debris over rocks. Just putting the boat in idle reverse you can see the mud get disturbed off the bottom into surrounding water. I never use heavy reverse throttle at the docks for this reason. This is actually a fairly common issue with those who beach or operate in shallow waters - debris clogging up the buckets.

Rule number one - don't operate the engines in less than 3ft of water as the intakes act like vacuum cleaners, especially in reverse where the jets are directing water downward and under the boat stirring up the bottom. While these boats have shallow drafts, the draft depth is not operating depth. Salespeople often use the 18-19 inch draft as a selling point, although it doesn't mean you can operate the boat in 19 inches of water.

Well, this weekend I learned a little something new about my jet boat: Carry a small pry bar. Generally, as a rule, I carry a small tool kit when I go out, but not this time...Murphy's Law and whatnot.

In planning to attend the Lake Shelbyville meet this July, I decided to get the boat out for the first time this season and go scout the lake a bit. It was a brisk and windy 60 degree day, and the sun didn't come out like the weatherman predicted until late in the afternoon. There was a near constant 1 - 2' chop in the main channels from the wind. Still, we found a calm cove and managed to make a nice afternoon of it. We put in at Bo Woods ramp on the North end of the lake, and ran all the way down to Lithia Springs. It was on the way back that the 'fun' began.

We were headed back North, and had just passed Eagle Creek recreation area when my fiance suggested a walk along the shore. I was gonna nose in, but the wind and waves were more than we wanted to fight, so we decided to find another spot. Mind you, the lake is still at winter pool level. When I went to back away from shore, it took a fair amount of throttle to overcome the wind and waves, and I could hear the pea gravel bottom being sucked through the pumps a bit. Anyway, we got back out into the channel, and...no forward gear. Both buckets were stuck in reverse and would NOT budge. After much investigation, and some very cold and wet arms reaching into the pumps from above and below the deck, I couldn't find any obvious obstruction. It was a very quiet day on the lake with very few boaters, so we ended up backing the boat all the way to Eagle Creek ramp, and found a good samaritan to give me a ride back to Bo Woods to get my truck and trailer. After loading it and pulling out of the water, I still couldn't see any debris, but I got a tire iron from my truck and gave the buckets a bit of gentle persuasion, and they both freed up, and tiny smaller-than-pea-sized rocks fell out of the buckets. After that, they both moved freely, and all was right in the world...but our boating day was concluded.

So, TLDR, our reverse buckets don't like small gravel...carry tools...The End.

The spring loaded clip on top of the bucket is one of those need to know how to "operate" items that many boaters either don't know exists or never attempt to operate. I've even seen dealer videos of pump removal where they unbolt the clips vs use the spring release.

In your situation, undoing the spring release would allow you to pull the gate up and down until you could free up the gravel.

Photo of the spring clips:

Me squishing the clip slide together....

cable6-pump-connector-jpg.50

From the other angle....(sorry it was so dirty) - the larger part below is what is attached to the gate, the smaller part to the end of the cable.

cable7-pump-connector-jpg.51

The spring loaded clip on top of the bucket is one of those need to know how to "operate" items that many boaters either don't know exists or never attempt to operate.
Yeah, I know that part exists, but I'll have to practice removing it. I didn't have the dexterity to figure it out on the water.

The spring loaded clip on top of the bucket is one of those need to know how to "operate" items that many boaters either don't know exists or never attempt to operate. I've even seen dealer videos of pump removal where they unbolt the clips vs use the spring release.

In your situation, undoing the spring release would allow you to pull the gate up and down until you could free up the gravel.

From the other angle....(sorry it was so dirty) - the larger part below is what is attached to the gate, the smaller part to the end of the cable.

Damn I've been unscrewing mine just like in the dealer videos. Just did it on Friday when I pulled the pump to remove a plastic pop cap ?

Excellent post.

Yeah, I know that part exists, but I'll have to practice removing it. I didn't have the dexterity to figure it out on the water.
It is tricky to undo for sure. Knowing how it works makes it easier....especially if you are doing it blind leaning over the stern.

Back