• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Talk to me about outdoor storage......what am I doing wrong?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We bought our '98 RInker in 2006 and it was stored "Semi outside" in a garage with no door on it, but under roof. We used it quite often until 2012 when we sold it for almost what we paid for it to being with. Each weekend we would come home, throw the cover on it, and back it in the garage.

Looked like this:
1662729978563.png

We would often play all day on the water, then come home and immediately throw the cover on it. We lived in a condo, and Granddad let us keep it in that garage for free so long as we brought him a milkshake whenever we showed up. The cover was a canvas "generic" style cover that came from the previous owner. Had some vents on the top, and a draw string around the hull. VERY similar to the mooring cover we have on the Yamaha now. We never had any issue with mold/mildew. No funky smells, no big deal.

Fast forward to 2017 and we buy our fancy dancy new AR190. It's been in our garage at home for the last 6yrs, and it looks pristine inside and out. Well, maybe not pristine, but damn near like new minus a few wear spots here and there. Anywho, it's in great condition, and I'm certain that's because it's lived most of it's life as near to "indoors" as possible. HOWEVER, I've started storing it outside now. I wanted the garage space back, and with the camper/campsite I have a place that doesn't cost my anything to keep it there. Looks like this:
1662730423989.png

The lot is mostly shaded. Boat sits in front of camper with the black Yamaha mooring/trailering cover on it. I've been leaving the bimini open, but don't want to on a regular basis. Every time we've been out in the last month of storage like this, it's been wet inside when we put it away/put the cover on it. The lot is "mostly" shaded, but the boat does get a little afternoon sun. I'm getting mildew and a bad odor pretty badly now, and there are noticeable signs of water/mildew on the cushions and carpet. It's like the thing is never getting dry all the way. The rear "gutters" around the seats are always full of water, and the area under the bench and behind the seat are also wet every time we've opened it. I'm unsure if it's because I'm putting it away wet and there's no airflow in there, or if it's drying then getting rewetted with the rain and can't dry properly because of the cover.

When I close it up, I've been stacking the seats on the bench to try to promote airflow around them. Noth hatch doors are open, and the ski locker is open. The bow is raised as high as the jack will go, and then set on a jackstand for security (still running the POS factory jack). The tongue is also "uphill" so I think most of the water COULD drain out of the bottom if it ever got that far. I've left some things hanging from the tower under the bimini, and I always come back to those being dry (even if it's rained), but the bimini is starting to look rough already from being deployed 24/7. I think that it's also shading the cover and preventing it from getting any heat to help with drying the inside out.

How do you guys that store outdoors deal with water intrusion like this? Just let it be wet in there? Take the carpet out and home to dry then replace each time? What about the carpet in the storage areas? Should I put a small fan in there to just run all the time and keep air moving? I have electricity available on site, and wouldn't mind it sitting on a trickle charger while I'm at it. Surely I'm not the only one that deals with this.

Follow up question. There is a boat storage place across the street from camp. Has a waitlist, but it's $900/yr for a spot that looks kinda like this:
1662730958013.png

Not quite as nice, but that same "3-sided pole barn" look to it. Would that keep enough rain/weather off of it to justify the cost? Could I store it in there between weekends with the cover off and expect it to dry out and stop smelling funky?

I'm super happy to have been parking BOTH cars back in the garage. I was really looking forward to NOT having to scrape windows on the car this winter. We're also considering a larger boat (when are we not right?) and that won't fit in the garage anyway, so I need to figure this mess out in general. I'm open to any input here on how to proceed. TIA!

that would be frustrating..
mine sleeps in a 2car carport...open everything up, hang any wet lines to dry for a day or two, then put cover back on...it's nice to get things dry, but since the carport is open on 3 sides, crap blows around and gets the inside dusty/dirty.
think it's allowed to put one of these 'temp' structures up? could even be used while you're at camp as a covered patio space or cooking area.

that would be frustrating..
mine sleeps in a 2car carport...open everything up, hang any wet lines to dry for a day or two, then put cover back on...it's nice to get things dry, but since the carport is open on 3 sides, crap blows around and gets the inside dusty/dirty.
think it's allowed to put one of these 'temp' structures up? could even be used while you're at camp as a covered patio space or cooking area.

I had thought about one of these. I'm unsure if they are allowed or not to be honest. I know a lot of people in camp have decks, and gazebos and such. My understanding is that I can't put anything IN the ground, but I can put whatever I want ON the ground. If that's the case, I might be able to make one of these things work.

Any thoughts on if they make them big enough to keep the tower up?

Is the water sheeting off that cover? My guess would be you're getting leakage through the cover.

I'd throw up some sort of covered structure.

I bought this cover from Empire covers and have been very happy with it as it covers the entire upper part. I do get some water that pools on top of the T top canvas between the cover when it rains hard now, for the first year there was no water there. The rest of the boat is always dry underneath. I will open up all the compartments when I get back from the lake if i got water in them while out boating and everything dries out quickly. There are only two small vents in the cover, up high and just behind the T top. This cover has taken a beating in the summer for almost three seasons and while sun bleached is still holding up.

C12123E0-3E99-4B4B-B1AC-46EB3F3AA526.jpeg
0A91BCA2-7880-4F5F-B441-84DAB34CE1D6.jpeg

I had thought about one of these. I'm unsure if they are allowed or not to be honest. I know a lot of people in camp have decks, and gazebos and such. My understanding is that I can't put anything IN the ground, but I can put whatever I want ON the ground. If that's the case, I might be able to make one of these things work.

Any thoughts on if they make them big enough to keep the tower up?

Versatube makes a variety of carports…some large enough for the big RV Busses ..I’ve been considering one of their shelters for my toy hauler, travel trailer and boat.

I think it's time for a new cover.

If you have power at the camp site, set up a box fan under the cover when the boat is not in use. I started doing this a few years ago, it made a noticeable difference.

I think it's time for a new cover.
I thought that.....I'm not sure it's the complete answer because of how the tower protrudes through. There's always going to be some runoff that gets in through the tower openings.

Any thoughts on just coating the cover in "Never-Wet" or something like that? If it keeps the majority of the water out, will it also not let the water that's already in there back out?!?!

What about some sort of fan sewn into the cover? Like a solar powered vent?

If you have power at the camp site, set up a box fan under the cover when the boat is not in use. I started doing this a few years ago, it made a noticeable difference.

Just let it run 24/7 on low speed?

You need to determine if the water causing your mildew is from use, or from cover leaks. If its from use, a way to dry it out inside is what you want, I'd consider a solar powered setup.using a bilge fan or similar. Bonus points if you can dehumidify in some way.

If it's leaking in, you need coverage. Either a new cover, or a shelter. They make relatively inexpensive shelters you could use. I think harbor freight sells.some, but I know home depot does. You can even make them have sided coverage with vinyl walls, throw some panels on the roof and have ventilation inside it. Should be easy to find one that will work with the 19 footer. I looked into it for my sx230 and regret not doing so, I ended up with a ton of mildew after it sat for 1.5 years, but I didn't own the area I was storing it in so a structure wasn't an option.

I thought that.....I'm not sure it's the complete answer because of how the tower protrudes through. There's always going to be some runoff that gets in through the tower openings.

Any thoughts on just coating the cover in "Never-Wet" or something like that? If it keeps the majority of the water out, will it also not let the water that's already in there back out?!?!

What about some sort of fan sewn into the cover? Like a solar powered vent?

Just let it run 24/7 on low speed?

In my thread about my cheap cover we talked about soaking a cover in 303... I bet that'd work.

900 bucks a year would be well worth it. I have a similar shed that costs me 125 a month. My boat stays clean and odor free. I had it in there sans cover for 8 months until I got my cover a few weeks ago.

You can also add solar powered vent fans to the cover to help circulate the air out and dry it out. I've never had to do this, but it might help???

You can also add solar powered vent fans to the cover to help circulate the air out and dry it out. I've never had to do this, but it might help???

I do like the idea of this. I can't always get all the water out before I put the cover on.

We pay about $1300 for full unheated indoor storage from anytime in September through May (though we usually bring it in mid-October and have it back home late-April). It's been fantastic... I just wish we could get access to the boat to work on it during the winter.

Thanks to the guys with the solar fan ideas. I'm looking into it right now.

Storage rates will obviously vary by area, but by me open storage is 100 to 150 a month. Covered is 250ish. Indoor wasn't an option pricewise because it's like 700 plus because it's one of those luxury deals where they like gas it and clean it for an additional fee sonyou don't have to do that peasant crap to be on the water.

Does that cover breathe in the summer? Like does it let water back out if you put it away wet?

I don’t put the cover on my boat when it is like wet wet… at least on a regular basis, I have and don’t recall it being a sweat box the next day. Had to a few times after getting rained on and wanted to protect it from hail damage, I’ve got it down to where I can get the cover on in less than 5 mins.

I’ve washed the boat inside and out and compartments and let it dry for a couple hours then put the cover on and left all compartment hatches open and the next day most everything is dried out.

Back