• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing when Disabled

JetBoatNewb07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Guidance question gang...have a '23 252SD, while I'm hoping to avoid any issues that put me down on the water, I realize it does happen. I haven't found anything that walks through the steps of how to properly have the boat towed on the water to avoid damaging the engine(s) that are down. I have purchased the pinch clamps that others have suggested but I'm unsure which line needs to be pinched. I've also seen that you don't need to pinch any hoses closed as long as it's towed at barely above an idle. Can someone on the forum answer this for me or point in the direction of an adequate article? Thanks in advance!

Most of the Yamaha manuals call for 5mph or less. Now on the lines it depends on engine and boat I look yours boat on Partzilla and it looks like yours is the same hose set up as my 1.8L SX240 so you have 2 places to stop water from reaching the exhaust valves flooding the engine. The best on for most is the intake hose from the jet pump this hose enters the engine compartment and has a plastic Y pipe one hose (mine is red) comes from the engine flush ports the hose fitting iside my hull at the back next to my speakers. The second rubber hose on this Y pipe comes from the jet pick up on the jet nossel on the back of the boat (putting a clamp on this hose rearward of the Y pipe stop all water from entering the engine.

Now Seatow can go over 5mph or your second engine can push faster than 5 mph to get you home..............NOW just as a precaution if my clamp was not tight enough or came off the water would flood the engine through the exhaust valves that are open.................I would remove plugs as soon as I got her back to dock and turn engine over and see if water comes out of the pistons with no spark she will spit water out not damaging the piston rods and if water is present CHANGE the oil and all will be well.

Hope this helps

PS if you clamp a second clamp on the rubber hose that feeds the exhaust system.....it comes from the Voltage regulator cooler this little hose is the only hose that feeds water to the wet exhaust and is the only hose that direct feeds the exhaust and fills the valves..........clamping both hoses gives you a 99.999% chance of water never reaching the open exhaust valve/piston cyl. Unless both clamps fail......LOL

Sorry for the book!!!

Guidance question gang...have a '23 252SD, while I'm hoping to avoid any issues that put me down on the water, I realize it does happen. I haven't found anything that walks through the steps of how to properly have the boat towed on the water to avoid damaging the engine(s) that are down. I have purchased the pinch clamps that others have suggested but I'm unsure which line needs to be pinched. I've also seen that you don't need to pinch any hoses closed as long as it's towed at barely above an idle. Can someone on the forum answer this for me or point in the direction of an adequate article? Thanks in advance!

If you don’t have a service manual you should get one. In the service manual there are drawings that will help you to understand how the cooling water gets to the engine from the pump.

In the short term you can pull the access hatch in the clean out tray and look down in there with a flashlight to find the flush hoses and then where those connect to the Y fitting on the cooling water supply hose coming from the jet pump and where that line goes through the bulkhead into the engine bay.

We had an issue on day one during break-in and had to be towed. If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have known to clamp the hoses, as the manual doesn't mention it at all. The Tow Boat Us captain did a good job of keeping us at the required mph.

Back