• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Totally agreed about infrastructure. For a little perspective, it's taken 115 years to build out our US gas station network to where it is today, and refineries had to be built along the way to provide supply. Electrical generation and charge point availability will likewise need to grow and expand. I think of that as a plus in terms of creating local US jobs, but the down side is that gas station owners will be hit hard, and oil majors will have to change their business model or die.

Related, check out the Nova production Search for the Super Battery. It shows that lithium ion batteries aren't the only solution for storing clean energy at production facilities, and gives me hope we have the technology today to displace fossil-fuel based electricity production.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The taxpayers will ultimately end up paying for the infrastructure for EV charging stations. I wonder how states are going to tax EV vehicles to pay for road maintenance, in PA we pay a tax on every gallon of gas we buy that goes for road maintenance. Mining for lithium is the new gold rush and its destroying the oceans and deserts but I guess as long as it's not seen then EV are considered eco friendly.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The taxpayers will ultimately end up paying for the infrastructure for EV charging stations. I wonder how states are going to tax EV vehicles to pay for road maintenance, in PA we pay a tax on every gallon of gas we buy that goes for road maintenance. Mining for lithium is the new gold rush and its destroying the oceans and deserts but I guess as long as it's not seen then EV are considered eco friendly.
1) Companies (auto or otherwise) will need to build out charging stations just like Tesla has done.

2) Many states (Wisconsin included) are adding a charge to the registration if you have an EV. Interesting that it is actually more than I paid for fuel tax when I had gas cars, but whatever.

3) Certainly not the place to get into a debate over the environmental consequences of EVs vs the oil industry/gas cars, but there is a reason why COUNTRIES are banning gas cars in the future.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't own EVs to be green. I don't believe in anthropogenic (human-caused) climate change. I own EVs because the driving experience is so much better than ANY internal combustion solution, period. After I drove the Tesla Roadster my manual shift C6 Corvette was simply a pile of garbage (and I LOVED that car for 5 years).

Telepathic response - never waiting for boost to build or getting caught out in the wrong gear/waiting for the transmission to downshift. The amount of torque available is astounding. The car has a full "tank" every morning. A couple pages back someone asked about all the cars waiting at gas stations to charge. Nope. With a gas/diesel vehicle you have to refuel at a petrol station no matter your driving pattern. With an EV, you only use a public charging station when going beyond the range of your vehicle. I hardly ever use public chargers. So I am SAVING a lot of time not having to stop for gas/diesel. As an example, the few times a year when we go to Silver Dollar City I park the car in an RV spot and charge it up overnight.

Yes, there are people in apartments or condos that can't charge at home. For those people they will just have to wait or deal with spotty coverage until the stations catch up. No different than in the early days of the gas car.

I think it's safe to expect 200 miles of towing range w/ a 500 EPA mile truck.

I can't wait for Tesla to have some real competition. Hummer, Ford, Rivian, Atlis, I say bring it on. Tesla will have to improve as a company or perish.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
^^^ This. Environment wasn’t even thought about when we bought the Tesla. It’s stupid fast, basically costs nothing to run/maintain, the driving experience is phenomenal, and it is just plain out fun.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Plenty of places on the internet to talk about climate change. This place is like grandma’s house no politics or religion discussed. 😁👍😘

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The climate changed today. Went up 2 degrees from yesterday :D

But seriously though, has anyone towed with their X on here yet? Thread is 30 pages and I have no idea the point of it lol.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The climate changed today. Went up 2 degrees from yesterday :D

But seriously though, has anyone towed with their X on here yet? Thread is 30 pages and I have no idea the point of it lol.
I think we're 30 pages in on speculation and second hand info. Not sure we have a member that's towed a jetboat with an EV at this point.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think we're 30 pages in on speculation and second hand info. Not sure we have a member that's towed a jetboat with an EV at this point.
That's pretty much what I gathered as well :D

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I can't wait for Tesla to have some real competition. Hummer, Ford, Rivian, Atlis, I say bring it on. Tesla will have to improve as a company or perish.
@grywlfbg Seems whenever the competition appears to be getting close, Elon gives us a little bit more to stay in front. About a month ago, thru a software update, I gained 5% more power; car is about 515hp and 0-60 times at 2.98 seconds. Now, they're talking about giving the S and X more range. I believe they really de-tuned their cars. Brilliant strategy IMO. I feel like a have a new car every month. I waited 7 years to get one and have no intentions on going back (ICE).

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Until there's a battery swap system or 10min-til-full charging, there won't be any mass adaptation. Go sit at a local gas station and count the cars that show up for a half hour. The imagine all those cars needing to sit for 30-60 minutes. Also, yes there's electricity at these gas stations, but I would suspect that they don't have the connection to support 15 240v+ stations.

NIO, a chinese EV company, came up with a hot-swap battery system where it's like going through a car wash cycle. That's probably the best solution, however then you have the issue of relying on robotics and storing/charging hundreds of fuel cell packages.
I see this working. As Ive mentioned before, in a large warehouse I used to work at, there are hundreds of forklifts running around 24-7. roll up to the "battery room" and swap the battery, in/out 2 minutes. Theres a guy doing it, not a robot. Just think, he could sell you cigarettes and candy too. lol

As youre pointing out, we are far out from this being widely adopted though.

Sure theres some difficulties and couldnt be as cool a car as Tesla though... It makes the most sense to me especially for cities and their suburbs.. Leave one battery at home charging regular power. Or. bring it with you lol

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Regarding the charging discussion, I see it will be a two step process. Step one will be the need to define a high speed charging standard (I assume we will end up waiting for the EU to force that the same way they did phone charging!), then Step two will see all the major US gas stations racing to get them installed. They are the perfect pairing for places like Wawa, speedway etc as they would encourage people to come into the store/restaurant - which is where they make the most money!

As for the grid discussion, home solar continues to grow. My neighbor generates more off his roof than he consumes (most days). He's in line for a Tesla battery so he can store energy vs only dumping to the grid. California over produces and sometimes gives away their power to neighboring states (for free).

My next vehicle will be an electric commuter....it is perfect for my purposes. My office has EV parking and chargers, and Tesla super chargers across the street. I drive 20 miles a day 90% of the time. So rather than buying a car for my teen, I'll buy myself an EV, give my wife the Audi, and the teen can have the Santa Fe. :cool:

I am very interested in the Performance Model Teslas just for the fun of them....but not sure I'll spring for one when the time comes - as my commute is all side streets...do I really NEED it? No. But I sure would enjoy it! LOL

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Regarding the charging discussion, I see it will be a two step process. Step one will be the need to define a high speed charging standard (I assume we will end up waiting for the EU to force that the same way they did phone charging!), then Step two will see all the major US gas stations racing to get them installed. They are the perfect pairing for places like Wawa, speedway etc as they would encourage people to come into the store/restaurant - which is where they make the most money!

As for the grid discussion, home solar continues to grow. My neighbor generates more off his roof than he consumes (most days). He's in line for a Tesla battery so he can store energy vs only dumping to the grid. California over produces and sometimes gives away their power to neighboring states (for free).

My next vehicle will be an electric commuter....it is perfect for my purposes. My office has EV parking and chargers, and Tesla super chargers across the street. I drive 20 miles a day 90% of the time. So rather than buying a car for my teen, I'll buy myself an EV, give my wife the Audi, and the teen can have the Santa Fe. :cool:

I am very interested in the Performance Model Teslas just for the fun of them....but not sure I'll spring for one when the time comes - as my commute is all side streets...do I really NEED it? No. But I sure would enjoy it! LOL
Nobody NEEDS to go 0-60 in 3 seconds but it sure is fun. It's also nice to know I can beet 97% off the car off the line with ease (and without making a sound). Love it!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Here are the missing scenes on the Cybertruck:

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not a fan of the cybertruck look, but i'll buy one if those specs/price come in as advertised.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
1) Companies (auto or otherwise) will need to build out charging stations just like Tesla has done.

2) Many states (Wisconsin included) are adding a charge to the registration if you have an EV. Interesting that it is actually more than I paid for fuel tax when I had gas cars, but whatever.

3) Certainly not the place to get into a debate over the environmental consequences of EVs vs the oil industry/gas cars, but there is a reason why COUNTRIES are banning gas cars in the future.
I just got hit with this on our hybrid car in WI. 110 for registration on a sedan (includes a "wheel tax" for county road repairs) plus a $75 surcharge because it's a hybrid. CROOKS.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I don't own EVs to be green. I don't believe in anthropogenic (human-caused) climate change. I own EVs because the driving experience is so much better than ANY internal combustion solution, period. After I drove the Tesla Roadster my manual shift C6 Corvette was simply a pile of garbage (and I LOVED that car for 5 years).
The only thing I can't get past is the zero engine noise on performance electric. Being raised on IC power, you expect NOISE when you hit it and the exhaust to send those big, beautiful plumes of smoke driving to the rear. I've watched some burnout videos from Model S's and it's so pathetic sounding with just the tire sound and no IC engine belching. It's like going to a concert expecting Metallica but getting Kenny G.

I will say that, when EV catches on mainstream, it'll mean cheaper big blocks and fuel for us petrol heads.

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The only thing I can't get past is the zero engine noise on performance electric. Being raised on IC power, you expect NOISE when you hit it and the exhaust to send those big, beautiful plumes of smoke driving to the rear. I've watched some burnout videos from Model S's and it's so pathetic sounding with just the tire sound and no IC engine belching. It's like going to a concert expecting Metallica but getting Kenny G.

I will say that, when EV catches on mainstream, it'll mean cheaper big blocks and fuel for us petrol heads.
When EV catches on mainstream you'll more likely be paying a heavy premium for your ICE vehicle.