• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ultranautics Jetstar - Starting problems

JOE ANDREWS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
NA
Greetings,

Thank you so much for sending the parts manual, yes it uploaded perfectly. This will be really helpful especially with the cutaway drawings etc. If you can locate the owner's manual, this will be a bonus. I'm pretty good at figuring things out mechanically, but I always like to have an idea of what the manufacturer outlined for typical boat operations. An example would be when to turn on the bilge pump and other required toggle switches, gas/oil mix (50:1 or 40:1), etc.

Yes to the clean out and the carb review and possible rebuild. What I did notice on my only run on the water so far is when I tried to accelerate the boat ran well at low to moderate speed using the RPM gauge until I pulled the throttle to full and then motor slowed down. This might be an indication of either a fuel or carb issue. I can certainly review this as I like tinkering, but I have a boat mechanic who is really good at figuring these things out and knows the Suzuki motor well. I also noticed a slight rattle when I pulled full throttle. We'll see what comes about after looking at the boat in more detail.

It should be fun runabout for my son and I once it is all renewed. My son is 17 and was looking for as he calls it a little 'rip around boat!'

Again, thank you for responding. That's what these community boards are all about helping each other keep in this case a great little boat running.

Take care.

Joe Andrews

CapnDan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You can clean the tank without pulling by using alcohol and a fuel pump. Drain any remanining fuel by putting a fuel pump on a fuel line coming off the tank into a fuel can. Get at least one gallon of stove alcohol and put it in the tank and let it sit for a couple of hours. Run the alcohol through a fuel filter and repeat the process till there is no more junk in the filter. The second time you run it through the tank should be clean. The tank is a tight fit and this method is much easier vs pulling it. You should also pull the pick up line in the tank as there maybe a brass filter on the end of the line. Remove it to clean the tank. All of this is accessable by removing the storage box in the dash.

CapnDan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ultranautics watercraft owners

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ultranautics watercraft owners
@JOE ANDREWS

I have added Ultranautics to the boat make drop down so you can list your Boat Manufacturer, and Jetstar to the model drop down. You can change this in your Profile.

Let me know if there are other model names I need to add.

hrpuffinstuff

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
Other
Also I have had my fuel line "melt off of the tank twice. so if can't start check that

jdonigancpa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Greetings, I see that you mention that you have an owners manual for your 1991 JetStar. I just purchased a 'in very good condition' what is deemed to be a 1992 JetStar with the Suzuki motor. I have been looking for an owners manual but they are very difficult to find. I was able to locate on the web the Parts manual, but being new to this boat and jetboating in particular, any additional information that I can find will be really helpful.

I would be willing to pay for you to photocopy your owners manual, or maybe you could if you have time (depending on the size of the manual) scan the pages. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My plan is to renew the boat with a new interior, clean up the motor compartment, etc. So far one run on the lake and it was decent. I believe the unit sat for a while thus there maybe some build-up in the carbs that need to be look at.

Any additional information that you can share is most welcomed.

Thank you.

Joe Andrews
Orangeville, Ontario. Canada
I found the Operator's Manual for the JetStar and was able to scan it. It's a little old and dirty, but the info is all there. I hope this helps!

Attachments

butter-bean

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
I started a Jetstar page on Facebook. I have a link to owners manual. A place where we can talk about our boats. owners and boats are a very small population. Talk about problems, parts, and help tips
hi what is the facebook page called? JetStar? I need the manual.
thanks
BB

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
hi what is the facebook page called? JetStar? I need the manual.
thanks
BB
Click on the attachment in post #27 above to download. The manual is there.

butter-bean

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
I have owned a 1991 JetStar for a little over 2 years now. First note I will add is that the owners manual came with mine, and it referenced a 40:1 fuel mix. Not to say that this is your issue, but just a side note. Not sure if that was different for any other year. The issue I have constantly had is that when I finally did get it to start, it would bog down continually. Definitely fuel starved. Fast forward to today, it is in the shop getting the tank pulled so it can be inspected and cleaned out. Also, the fuel intake line is going to be replaced. Our method on figuring this as an issue was that we pushed air from the fuel bulb back to the tank. It acted like there was some blockage. Afterwards it ran great, but only a little while before repeating this issue. My advice from my experience is that based on the age of these boats, the tank needs to be pulled and cleaned, carbs rebuilt (AND BALANCED) and intake/delivery lines replaced. Basically replace your fuel system (best off if you can get by with existing fuel pump since they are out of production). I wish I did it day 1, as I would have been able to enjoy this boat a whole lot more than I have so far.
need to see butterbeans pics on what he pulled out of his tank!

csvick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just picked up a 1991 Ultranautics Jetstar that has a 60hp 800cc 2 stroke engine. The boat is very clean and it pretty good condition. After a new battery, I was able to start it up twice using new fuel in the tank and a little starting fluid (Only a little half second spray, the starting fluid has lubrication as well) As of now, after new plugs, I cannot get the engine started. I have 120/120 compression in both cylinders which sounds normal (anywhere from 120-130). Spark is strong in both cylinders, I arched the plugs and used a spark light tester. Spark+Compression+ Fuel/Air = running engine. I'm kinda stumped as of right now, anybody that can point me in the right direction would be awesome.

This little boat is really cool, I'd like to get it running for this upcoming summer!
I took the fuel pump off and replaced with electric, be sure to make a cover with gasket to go back over the old fuel pump hole, or else you will burn a hole in the cylinder from the cold air

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I know nothing about that boat (like most), but I have had quite a bit of experience with 2-stroke engines. If they have fuel, air, and spark, they will run. This boat was built prior to gasoline with ethanol added. Some fuel lines get gummy because of the ethanol, and this ends up in the carbs. I suggest replacing the fuel lines and cleaning/rebuilding the carb. Good chance a jet is plugged with gummy fuel line junk.

butter-bean

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
Also I have had my fuel line "melt off of the tank twice. so if can't start check that
yep look at my post of all of the crap i found inside my gas tank. amazing

csvick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
my jet star set up for many of years, gas had jelled in the tank, took the tank out and it was like jelly, replaced all the lines and put electric fuel pump on and two filters before the pump, you have to make a adapter plate to go over the hole that the old fuel pump was over. cleaned carbs. patients is the game, it cranks first try now that i got new everything, didn't have to change the plugs, the motor only had 100 hours on it when i found it. the fuel filler had crystallize up and had to drill it out. can"t stress patients. is the name here

butter-bean

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
my jet star set up for many of years, gas had jelled in the tank, took the tank out and it was like jelly, replaced all the lines and put electric fuel pump on and two filters before the pump, you have to make a adapter plate to go over the hole that the old fuel pump was over. cleaned carbs. patients is the game, it cranks first try now that i got new everything, didn't have to change the plugs, the motor only had 100 hours on it when i found it. the fuel filler had crystallize up and had to drill it out. can"t stress patients. is the name here
as far as i can see my wife`s boat is getting good rate of fuel.the engine is NOS the guy i got it from took it right of a crate. and it does look brand new. im looking more to the impeller/wear ring. but have no idea and cant find anybody who knows what the gap/distance between the blades and wear ring should be. when i look at it it looks good with no trash or nicks nothing. the guy i got it from says he just put a rebuilt one on last year and only ran it a few times. so i have to pull the reverse gate assy off anyway to put a zert fitting on the shaft cover so im going to inspect it all when im in there.

JDaws27

Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Jetstar last summer and it was sitting for quite a bit prior to me buying it. It starts and runs and I used it all last summer but I noticed 2 things. First, if there are 2 people in it, it has a very hard time planing out, any more weight and it can't. Second, there is a lot of smoke that comes out when it runs (I am assuming that it is running too rich?). I mix it 50:1. It is a 1989 Jetstar 1250. I saw the posted owners manual (thank you for that) but I didn't know if it mattered the difference in years or if they are using the same motors? I also have to put the boat in fast idle to keep it from turning off while idling. From there I have to quickly shift into gear or it will turn off. I haven't touched the carbs at all. The previous owner changed the gas tank to a jerry can style and there are no issues with the lines or tank. Any suggestions or help would really be appreciated!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Two smokes are notorious for needing carbs cleaned and rebuilt. Gas evaporates over time but the oil in the gas does not. Take the carbs off and buy a rebuild kit. Its. Normally not really all that hard to rebuild them. Then give it a go! If u still have problems then we will look at other stuff... but the problems you are explaining can all be cause by the carbs.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

JDaws27

Reaction score
Boat Make
Ultranautics
Year
Other
Boat Model
Jetstar
Boat Length
Other
Thanks! I have never rebuilt a carb before, going to talk to my mechanic friend. Is there a certain kit I should buy or is it pretty standard across the board? Will keep everyone posted on how it goes! Here’s a couple before and after pics of painting it!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OEM kit from the manufacturer of the carb is the gold standard. Do check the cost of the carb brand new, just to sanity check the pricing. I had a small two cycle engine (single carb 717) where the new carb was so cheap it was the same cost or less to buy a new carb vs paying someone to rebuild the old one with OEM parts.