• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water leaking from stbd motor!

Lawrence Gill Jr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
i have 29 hrs on my 210 fsh, i usually never leave it in for longer than 24-36 hrs at a time before i pull it back out and keep in on the trailer. That being said, everytime i would pull it out i would have alot more water coming out of the drianplug than i thought was acceptable (obviously none is the only acceptable amount!) but i kept chalking it up to rain, washing the boat etc.. finally the last time i went out on it i kept noticing the bilge auto light coming on while underway and could even catch it running while the boat was at rest. So i pulled it out and the next day put in on the garden hose figuring i would find a loose hose or something fairly straight forward, not the case! There is a black hose running into the engine block directly underneath the exhaust manifold, and the water was coming from there in a pretty good amount! And this was on a hose at idle, imagine sucking water outta the lake at 7800 rpms!
So i removed the weak spring clamps and replaced them with stainless screw type hoping it was that simple, but it was actually coming from behind the fitting out of the block! So needless to say the boat is back at thr dealership as this is warranty work and its been 8 days and they still haven't assigned a tech to it! Yamaha needs more dealers in michigan! There are only 2 in the metro detroit area! BS!
Has anyone heard of this issue? Figured no since it wasnt anywhere on the forum, but figured i would throw this out there for everyone to read

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ah, the joys of owning a FSH and the master craftsmanship of Yamaha USA manufacturing.

Best of luck to you brother!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The older MR1 engines had a few reported cases of cracked blocks behind the exhaust manifold. Not an easy fix. Hopefully yours is easier than mine was. :(

Lawrence Gill Jr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I would assume that at that point they just drop a new motor in.....i wouldnt accept anything less than that. Those things are meant to come in and out of the engine room these days so aside from the dealership getting one from yamaha that would still be a fairly easy fix in the grand scheme of things

Lawrence Gill Jr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
UPDATE dealership called, engine block is crAcked
POS yamaha! Called corporate to voice my displeasure and to try to get this process expedited now, seemed like they didnt give a shit!
Very very disappointed in yamaha!

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
POS yamaha! Called corporate to voice my displeasure and to try to get this process expedited now, seemed like they didnt give a shit!
Very, very, very sorry to hear this. Welcome to the club of those who have been burned by the FSH. Its a club no one wants to be apart of.....but it continues to grow.....its seems exponentially lately.

Best of luck to you brother, hope everything works out in the end.

—Яiвs>

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
That’s a rough situation I hope the dealer takes care of it. Also agree we need more reps in Michigan.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What did the dealer say about a time frame to fix?

Unfortunately we've seen calls to corporate don't yield much results,

HABANEROTE

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If this goes on reddit they will listen to you...They don't want bad press in a page that has more exposure than a forum... if we have to help you on reddit because they don't do it on a timely manner.... count me in... i'm on your side...

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I feel your pain man. My boat is as in the shop for 2 months... but you know what, I got it back better than new. I picked out everything I didn’t like and it all got fixed while it was there. Thankfully you have a warranty.

If you bitch enough to Yamaha customer service, they will throw you a $100 credit towards Yamaha accessories to shut you up. I ended up buying an oil pump (for oil changes) and some other doo dads. No where near enough for my trouble, but it’s something.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh no!! So sorry to hear that. I’m curious to see what their remedy is for this. I’d bet that they’ll try to swap all of your internals over to a new block. Whatever avenue they decide to go, push them for a free extended warranty.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Bummer....we see very few cases of cracked blocks on the forum. The problem is that replacing an engine is a time consuming job and summer time is a boat dealers busiest time. The dealer would prefer to do lots of small jobs at massive margins than tackle a big warranty job at low margins. Sucks, and Yamaha has little control over forcing a dealer to do it ASAP....but they can put pressure on them. That said, it won't be fast no matter what...which sucks when the summer season in MI is as short as it is. I actually had a similar experience with my first Yamaha in 2003....bearing broke after 15 hours and engine blew....took weeks to repair, but was the exception to those motors...not common....which is the same for your boat. This is very uncommon. Keep calling Yamaha and work your way up the chain.

This has nothing to do with it being an FSH (try and do your best to ignore Clemsontiger, he wanted an 80k CC with SS rod holders and thought he'd get that by spending 30k on a 190FSH). If you get tired of his negativity you can click on his name and click on the "Ignore" button.

boudin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Lawrence Gill Jr any updates on a timeframe from the dealer? If the block is cracked it might be a manufacturing or assembly defect (wrong bolt torque) or overheating... it would be nice to know a diagnosis.

My assumption would be Yamaha would ship a new long block to the dealer, and then the Yamaha tech swaps out electronics, sensors, stator, oil pump, etc. to the new motor. That should not be more than an 8-12 hour job, but it'll depend on their workload and also how quickly the dealer can get a motor.

-Greg

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Bummer....we see very few cases of cracked blocks on the forum. The problem is that replacing an engine is a time consuming job and summer time is a boat dealers busiest time. The dealer would prefer to do lots of small jobs at massive margins than tackle a big warranty job at low margins. Sucks, and Yamaha has little control over forcing a dealer to do it ASAP....but they can put pressure on them. That said, it won't be fast no matter what...which sucks when the summer season in MI is as short as it is. I actually had a similar experience with my first Yamaha in 2003....bearing broke after 15 hours and engine blew....took weeks to repair, but was the exception to those motors...not common....which is the same for your boat. This is very uncommon. Keep calling Yamaha and work your way up the chain.

This has nothing to do with it being an FSH (try and do your best to ignore Clemsontiger, he wanted an 80k CC with SS rod holders and thought he'd get that by spending 30k on a 190FSH). If you get tired of his negativity you can click on his name and click on the "Ignore" button.
Be wary of unwavering optimism and support regardless of the situation. You will only hear one sided opinions on this board and if you speak opposite of the groupthink that occurs here...well best beware of the wrath that will be laid upon you lol.

@Julian Last week you made assumptions regarding my posts and responded with your own judgemental opinion. Now you have continued to make additional assumptions about my intent when I purchased the FSH and you continue to cast your judgemental opinions. Just like last week when your assumption was incorrect, your assumption now is also incorrect.

If I wanted a 80K CC when I purchased the FSH...I would have purchased a 80K CC. I ended up purchasing a 67K CC (sorry your 80K is hyperbole) 9 months after I purchased the FSH. So clearly, if that is what I wanted to begin with, I would have purchased it from the beginning.

It is very ostentatious and pompous of you to assume you know my intent, wants and reasoning. This is the 2nd time within a 3-4 day period. You clearly have an axe to grind with me, which is your choice to make, but I will not sit quietly as you speak untruths and claim them to be facts.

Thank you Admin, and take care!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry @ClemsonTiger but we have multiple and consistent complaints from members (FSH owners) to the admins about you and your negativity regarding the boat. So we feel it is important for new members to know that we are aware of your position and to point out that there is a negative history here. As I've said on other threads, it would be nice if members could find your "story" as to why you hold this position and read a clear and concise post that explains your experience. Without that, we are forced to fill in the blanks with what we can discern from your posts.

I stand corrected...you bought a USED CC for 67k to replace your new FSH that is less than half that price. And not surprisingly you love it much more than your FSH. (apples to apples ..IE ...new boat to new boat...it would be 80k plus - from YOUR numbers)

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The older MR1 engines had a few reported cases of cracked blocks behind the exhaust manifold. Not an easy fix. Hopefully yours is easier than mine was. :(
Is that a random/material defect or did you guys figure out something specific, that's causative?

--

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
As I've said on other threads, it would be nice if members could find your "story" as to why you hold this position and read a clear and concise post that explains your experience. Without that, we are forced to fill in the blanks with what we can discern from your posts.
And why am I to post my "story"? Are all members expected to post a "story" to explain any opinions they have or to explain any of their comments/posts? If that is the norm and members will abide by it, then sign me up! Otherwise I see no reason I should be held to a different standard.

Your justification for making assumptions is an excuse granted by yourself to yourself. You can justify your incorrect actions anyway you deem suitable, but it will not make it a correct action.

Lawrence Gill Jr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
No timeline from the dealership, when they called me to inform me of the cracked block, it was right after they discovered it, I immediately got pissed because they told me that they need to get the old motor out and yamaha likes to diagnose what happened BEFORE they ship the dealer a new motor! Clearly i could have reached through the phone and choked the guy when he told me that!! So i gained my composure and immediately called corporate, unfortunately i knew their number from my long debacle trying to obtain my cover this winter/spring. But the problem was even though corporate could see my boat was in the dealership for service through their computer system, since the dealer just figured out the issue they hadnt yet put in for a new engine yet. So yamaha said until that claim was made they couldnt really help me out. So this all took place last friday at about 11:30 am
I gave them the rest of that day and all of today, from tomororw at lunch time until i get my damn boat back i will be calling the dealership and yamaha corporate twice a day! I want them to cringe when they see my number on the caller id!
Any one with any advice on any better or just anything different than phone calls i.e. Any social media accounts i should be hounding! Please let me know! I want my damn boat back!
And i dont remember who said it but to the one that suggested they may want to swap my internals! I will not let that happen! Rest assured!
And i did get a 3 year warranty with the boat show special they were running. Anyone ever heard of them giving out longer than that due to situations like this?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length