• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water temperature

Smitty244

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So far the water temperature seems like it’s way off unless I’m missing something. It has said it’s about 72 degrees and I know for a fact Lake Erie is only about 60 right now. Am I missing something in the settings?

Where are you getting your data from?

1623336792679.png

I guess it would depend on exactly where you are. Here is current info from NOAA for Lake Erie Surface and Bottom Temperature.

NOAA/GLERL GLCFS-FVCOM

I didn’t clarify that very well. My gauge in the boat shows 72. Weather.gov says it’s only 61

Does everyone else think the Yamaha gauge is accurate? There is no way it is 72. I believe 60 to be more accurate lol.

On my AR210 it is pretty accurate within a degree to my hand held thermometer.

You do see on Weather.Gov that the temps are taken at 30 feet down??

NOAA should be spot on at surface.

1623337663954.png

The depth is the key. On your boat, the temp probe is about 12-18" below the surface, which is essentially at the surface and fluctuates based on heat from the sun. The official readings are being taken at ~30 feet. Massive difference in temperatures.

Yeah that’s obvious but I didn’t even really think about it either. Just wondered how accurate they are but sounds like it’s legit.

I don't think mine is accurate. Water temp showed in the 80's last week and it was freezing. It's like it was reading the air temp.

With that said, a toe dipped in will tell me if I am going in or not. lol I don't rely much on the gauge.

I don't think mine is accurate. Water temp showed in the 80's last week and it was freezing. It's like it was reading the air temp.

With that said, a toe dipped in will tell me if I am going in or not. lol I don't rely much on the gauge.
This is the way I was feeling about mine

Mine has been accurate....but again....its reading surface Temps. If the wind is blowing towards the cove we are in, it can change the temperature 5-10 degrees (as compared to the other side of the lake) as its pushing all that warm surface water to one side of the lake (while the far side is getting bottom water pulled up).

Our lake was a chilly 83 last weekend. Hottest I've seen was 103!!!! We went to the other side of the lake that day!

Mine has been accurate....but again....its reading surface Temps. If the wind is blowing towards the cove we are in, it can change the temperature 5-10 degrees (as compared to the other side of the lake) as its pushing all that warm surface water to one side of the lake (while the far side is getting bottom water pulled up).

Our lake was a chilly 83 last weekend. Hottest I've seen was 103!!!! We went to the other side of the lake that day!
Must be nice. North east Ohio in Lake Erie we are lucky to hit 78 degrees once a year

Our temp gauge is accurate. I've checked it in water and on the trailer using a thermo-gun known to be accurate, and it's bang on. We were in the mouth of the St Lawrence at the edge of Lake Ontario this week and water was reading 68F. Out in the lake it's probably cooler, and in the bays and coves, probably warmer - water volume and location affects surface temps. We typically see low 80's during July and August.

Mine reads high by about 5 to 7 degrees. I have compared to my simrad and other boats next to me many times.

Some days it says the river is 95 degrees,,,, no way while some moving current seems warm, no way its that high

Does anyone know where on the hull the water temp sensor is? I'd like to inspect mine. I just picked up my 2022 212XE and took it out. It was telling me that the water temp was between 82 and 83 when I know it was mid 70's. I'm curious if the boat was shipped with tape or something over the sensor to protect it in transit and the dealer didn't remove it??

The connext temp on my boat is accurate I believe, it’s within a degree or two of what my fish finders’ temperature indicates.

I have noticed that the OEM temp will read a bit higher than my fish finder by 2° after I have been running the engines for a while and then stop, like there is a bit of heat soak from the engine bay

Does anyone know where on the hull the water temp sensor is? I'd like to inspect mine. I just picked up my 2022 212XE and took it out. It was telling me that the water temp was between 82 and 83 when I know it was mid 70's. I'm curious if the boat was shipped with tape or something over the sensor to protect it in transit and the dealer didn't remove it??
The sensor is in the through-hull transducer beside the intake grates - round black fitting you can easily spot when you look at the bottom of the hull near the transom. It wouldn't need anything for shipping I think as water at speed is very harsh. Mine is accurate but something to remember is if you just docked or anchored, the engine exhaust can warm the water near the sensor giving a false reading. I check the water temp when I'm idling along to get an accurate reading moving over the water.

Back