• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where do you draw the line? <shoes & pets>

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Zipper, does that dog not know how to swim? Or do you keep the life jacket on for safety??

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don't really have many "rules". People get onto the boat and the first thing we do is ask them to take off their shoes, and they all go under a seat. Other than that...no Smoking, and I keep a really close eye on the types of snacks being pulled out. If I see young kids with cheetos, they get sent to the swim platform, then thrown in the water once done!

My SX230 had 4 or 5 small burn marks in the vinyl behind the captains chair. Was like that when I bought it, and the PO pointed them out to me....he was pissed too. Said someone lit a cigarette behind him while he was driving and he didn't see, then embers blew and burned the vinyl. So the few smokers we know, know that smoking is only allowed while floating on a noodle...or on the swim platform (carefully).

Other than that....have FUN and don't sweat the rules.....I enjoy the company and life is too short to worry about the small stuff! The older I get, the less I care....

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My only other rule is if u bring your kid on the boat u bring your kids life jacket. If u don't have one, buy one. I dont want something bad to happen in my life jacket

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Zipper, does that dog not know how to swim? Or do you keep the life jacket on for safety??
Funny, Ya she can swim now and was 5 mos. old in the pictures. We did not want her to have any accidents and develop a fear of the boat/water.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We have a 70 lb golden doodle that wears a life jacket. She swims just fine, the issue becomes when it’s time to re-board. Instead of her clawing to get back on the platform I just pick her up by the handle like a case of beer.

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Makes sense with the handle. That was my job last summer, hauling him back in the boat... It was a pain in the ass, but worth it watching him leap off of the swim platform and go after my kids.. He also would just swim around in the middle of the lake where it’s 70ft, so might not be the worst purchase in the world for summer 2020

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The main rule we have for both boats is no spray sunscreen. I encourage our guests on the Yamaha to remove shoes when boarding and never step on the seats. None of our friends drink red wine while on the lake. It's usually a beer, water or some sort of soft drink kind of crowd. Something in a glass bottle has never been a bother to me because I like beer out of a bottle too. If you're gonna eat something that's orange, or just messy, you are to enjoy it on the swim deck or in your car on the way home. No ifs, ands, or buts! The captain's word is law!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got a pair of "Hey Dudes" for Christmas. Can't wait to get to wear them this summer.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
this has been a fascinating thread to follow from those who have draconian rules to some like me, 76 years old, who basically have no rules other than safety rules (life jackets for childre, no drinking and driving, then to enjoy one’s day on the water. So my question is when do we lighten up on our rules? I be liege mine began when I retired and had grandchildren on the boat[flag]
My brother in law was a real stickler for rules on his boat. Then one of his grandchildren accidentally pee'd on the boat and he didn't lose his mind. Surprised everyone. I guess grandkids are just different.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Makes sense with the handle. That was my job last summer, hauling him back in the boat... It was a pain in the ass, but worth it watching him leap off of the swim platform and go after my kids.. He also would just swim around in the middle of the lake where it’s 70ft, so might not be the worst purchase in the world for summer 2020
Would be smart to have them wear a life jacket IMHO. I am not sure I'd want my dog out in the middle of the lake far from help either. A couple of years ago a dog swam out from a popular island swim spot and it got out into the middle of the lake and he got hit. I'd treat your animals like small children at the lake and lean to the side of caution. Pets get tired and can drown. Best to be safe than sorry IMO.

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Life jackets on the dogs are always a good idea. I have a retriever that swims like a fish, but if something happened and he bounced out at 30MPH, I would want him in one. Also, way easier to get back in the boat with a handle, lol.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
- Flip flops/sandals only, no shoes
- No stepping on seats, I removed the center cushion on the engine hatch for a reason.
- All eating must be done on the swim deck
- Sunscreen is applied on the dock, or swim deck only. I'll even point the boat into the wind if they use spray sunscreen.
- Don't complain about food and beverage or sunscreen rules unless your joining me in cleaning the boat
- And for heavens sake, be on time.

And speaking of sunscreen. How do you get that crap off the textured vinyl trim on the seats. One of my friends pasty white 8yo sat down with what I percieved to be an entire bottle of sunscreen on, and I can't get it off the charcoal colored textured vinyl on the seats. < this is when my sunscreen rule changed.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
- Flip flops/sandals only, no shoes
- No stepping on seats, I removed the center cushion on the engine hatch for a reason.
- All eating must be done on the swim deck
- Sunscreen is applied on the dock, or swim deck only. I'll even point the boat into the wind if they use spray sunscreen.
- Don't complain about food and beverage or sunscreen rules unless your joining me in cleaning the boat
- And for heavens sake, be on time.

And speaking of sunscreen. How do you get that crap off the textured vinyl trim on the seats. One of my friends pasty white 8yo sat down with what I percieved to be an entire bottle of sunscreen on, and I can't get it off the charcoal colored textured vinyl on the seats. < this is when my sunscreen rule changed.
I must agree, be on time. Great point. I hate being late (for anything). I remember walking into church after the door were closed cause Dad was late for everything. Head down, feel embarrassed, not a pleasant experience. Yes, please be on time.

Ducrotchy1098

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Definitely no shoes or flip flops!
If we're fishing in colder weather footwear is a must so all the flooring comes out for easy washdown. Sunscreen aside nail polish scuff everywhere is becoming a pain! I use the clear 3" wide 3m tape to cover the pass thru, nose and swim deck access to help thwart the scuffs, but after one season they need to be replaced. Time consuming but well worth it.