• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Windlass, capstan, anchor winch or by any other name

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok after three seasons boating in the NY area Finger Lakes (glacial lakes) I am getting tired (and old) of pulling up my heavy box anchor with out something (no one is usually around to help) to lend a hand! I am looking for something simple like a capstan that I can mount. Any idea's
I found this that may be something that can be used but mounting it would be the issue.

Fot all those thinking Deja vu I posted this on the "other forum" too

$_12.JPG

You can certainly do something like this! Remove the bow ladder for starts. You can probably use the bracket there to make a crossmember hold the crank and anchor. You probably won't get it to flip back into the compartment and close the door without some good manufacturing and ingenuity though, so you would have a hole with this thing on it. Or, it would simply have to be a smaller anchor than most of us like but it would then use the same ladder bracket to flip the whole thing into the ladder "locker". You could even use your old trailer winch if you upgraded like i did on mine to a two speed. Then the cost becomes minimal, b ut you still jave a good bit of engineering and welding or fabbing to make it all work right!

Or, perhaps you store the anchor in another locker and simply attch when avout to use it and detah when it is all the way up. With a box anchor that may be the only solution there just due to size.

I just don't think these boats are big enough for winches and external anchor rollers. However, some rollers are made for sailboats that would be more than adequate to help with the lift and not roll the rope onto it, just use the powered roller to reel it in. Simple is better IMO. I normally don't anchor in depths greater than 35 ft. I do think I will flag my rode 10' from the control arm. So I don't have to watch as close as it comes up.

I've wondered about a windlass...but as Mel says...not much room and no easy way to mount one. If I'm on my own and I anchor close to shore, I just pull the anchor up to within 10' of the rail, tie it off on the cleat, and then head out to deep water (slowly). By the time I get there, the anchor is clean and ready to pull in the rest of the way, and I'm not worrying about blowing into shore. But a fully powered windlass would be cool indeed!

image.jpg
I think you are on the right track Mel. This is what I am going to use and mount it on the prow somewhere. I will have to figure out a pulley or something so my gel coat won't get a "rope burn". I found a star bit so I may be able to rig up a drill to power up the winch. It is a single speed and only $50 bucks on eBay. I will keep everyone posted but if any ideas pop up let me know.

image.jpg image.jpg
Thanks Murf. I like the idea of drawing my rode into my locker and sometimes I am anchoring in waters over 100 ft. I found these but we are talking about $600. Which is more than I care to spend but I can see this being a permanent fixture on the boat! Maybe do an installation similar to what you see below

image.jpg

You gotta love how this idea is evolving!

Last edited:
View attachment 15730
I think you are on the right track Mel. This is what I am going to use and mount it on the prow somewhere. I will have to figure out a pulley or something so my gel coat won't get a "rope burn". I found a star bit so I may be able to rig up a drill to power up the winch. It is a single speed and only $50 bucks on eBay. I will keep everyone posted but if any ideas pop up let me know.

This is a cool idea....there has to be some sort of rope guide you could use to protect the gel coat and rub rail. Perhaps something like this:

A hawes pipe and a chock set would work just fine. The rope rubs on my rub rail for the most part but using that capstan may induce a rub on the upper face of the gunwale above the rub rail. So a chock there would channel the rode through it to protect the hull.

Thanks Julian, for 10 bucks and bolting some "dog ears" on the sides to keep the rope from flipping off, I would be willing to drill a coupe of holes in the hull to accommodate these beauties.

Stainless-Steel-Bow-Fairlead-DECOR-963420.jpg fair_handed.jpg
15480_PKO_1243_PPM.jpg

Just an update. I purchased these items for the project. I am thinking this is going to work. The bit will be attached to an old cordless drill I have lying around. I decided to use a two speedwinch instead of a one speed for the project. I will keep everyone posted on the progress of my winter projectmZnhDyFsdlhAiK63VqrAXyw.jpg $50 images.jpg$20

I am excited to see how this turns out!

Just an update. I purchased these items for the project. I am thinking this is going to work. The bit will be attached to an old cordless drill I have lying around. I decided to use a two speedwinch instead of a one speed for the project. I will keep everyone posted on the progress of my winter projectView attachment 15946 $50 View attachment 15947$20

Sooooo how did this project turn out? @gthh

Wow!! Jan 2015, Digging deep to revive this thread!:winkingthumbsup"

I was responding to another more recent thread and saw this one at the bottom in the similar threads.

...but now it does have me curious. Especially with the 'winch bit' development. Cliffhanger...

Back