• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Diagnostic System (YDS)...how to read your hours and errors

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
#YDS

Ever wonder what your engine hours are, how to read them, if your engine threw errors? Well first of all you will need some software (YDS 1.3) and a Cable (Ebay is a good source). Once you have that, here is the process from start to finish of what you need to do:

1. Install the software 1.33 for 2012 or before models. It looks as if you need YDIS 2.13 for 2013 and newer boats. At the moment it appears there is no available software to access these boats. (on some kits sold on EBAY, it has 2 disks...one for the YDS, and one for the cable driver--install BOTH)
  2. Update the DB on the software (launch the SW and press F1)
  3. Make sure the cable is on COM Port 1.
  4. Locate your connection point on the engine. If you have a 2006 or less, it will be behind the cover plate in the rear starboard storage locker (yeah who would have thunk!). On 2007+ 230's it is behind the plate on the starboard side of the engine compartment. On 210s, it is tucked into the wiring harness over the top of the port engine. It will have one red wire on one side of the plug and 3 or 4 wires on the side you will plug into. On the 2015s the YDIS couplers are located in the driver's helm compartment. The YDIS couplers are identified by "DIAGP" tag (port engine) or "DIAGS" tag (starboard engine) on the deck wire harness.
  5. Plug in the YDS cable to your engine.
  6. Start your engine (or just bump the starter enough to get a reading)
  7. Turn on the water to your engine (only if you start the engine)
  8. Plug in the USB plug into your computer
  9. One time only step--you should get a "New Hardware" message...if the disk is still in the drive, it will find the drivers. If it is not, then browse to C:\Program Files\YDS\Driver
  10. Launch the YDS software.
  11. Hit Enter it should says something about communicating to the ECM. If it says it failed to communicate to the ECM, then either your driver didn't install or you aren't plugged in the proper sequence, or your cable isn't assigned to com port 1.
  12. Hit enter and you should have a complete menu of items you can look at. For Engine hours click on "Data Logger" and then click on "Engine Operating Hours according to engine speed"
  13. If you wish to save the hours, click F2 to save the file (it saves as a .csv file or a "Comma Separated Value" file and an .xls file....in a nutshell....a file Excel can read, or most any data application like Notepad, wordpad etc.)
  14. If you want to check out and see if you have had any engine "errors", click on the "Diagnosis", and then on "Diagnosis Record".
  15. Shut off the water
  16. Turn off the engine
Repeat for other engine.
There are lots of other things this software can do, but that is for another day. Here is what it read as an example for my engine hours:

Engine speed Time[h]
- 2000 r/min 30.67
2000 - 4000 r/min 53.97
4000 - 6000 r/min 7.4
6000 - 8000 r/min 27.82
8000 - 10000 r/min 11.2
10000 - 12000 r/min 0.99

Total hours of operation 132

Attached is a copy of the file you can create and save from the software.

Attachments

Last edited:

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FYI, I have the cable and the software if anybody in the Dallas area want to borrow it.

colt45

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FYI I have cable and software in the New Orleans area. I just used it to diagnose a no wake problem. Tps sensor was out of adjustment. Very proud of myself. Wonder what that would have cost at the dealer? No less than 1200.00 at my local dealer, I guarantee it!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

colt45

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian , you have 132 hours on a 2005? If I read your profile correctly. I just checked mine and I have 256 hours on my 2007. I wonder how many hours you can go before having to do a rebuild. Have a good one.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That was an old post I copied and pasted from a few years ago (I'd have to look up when). I think I have in the mid 200's now. Now I'm going to have to fire up the laptop to look it up!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My port engine hours at oil change time in September 2013 were:
5.Data Logger [Engine operating hours according to engine speed]
Engine speed Time[h]
- 2000 r/min 76.96
2000 - 4000 r/min 73.3
4000 - 6000 r/min 11.69
6000 - 8000 r/min 70.43
8000 - 10000 r/min 26.59
10000 - 12000 r/min 1.21
Total hours of operation 260.1

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing that I discovered through fellow Jetboaters was that my YDS wouldn't work unless I had it set to run on com port 1. I'm not computer savvy at all but I would get the dreaded "communication error" until I switched my computer to run it on com port 1.

PS. I'm willing to help anybody out with a YDS reading too if you're in my area.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1) Install the software
2) Update the DB on the software (lauch the SW and press F1)
3) Locate your connection point on the engine.
4) Plug in the YDS cable to your engine.
5) Start your engine
6) Turn on the water...
Here's a little tip for those of you using the YDS software. You dont' have to actually start the engine, so you don't need to hook up to a water supply to read the YDS.

Follow the same steps outlined by Julian, except instead or starting the engine, just "bump" the starter. This gets the communication going between the ECM, the USB dongle, and the YDS software on laptop. The engine does not have to be running and therefore you don't need to have access to water and that makes it much easier to do in many cases.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Julian, I have always wanted to have this, but for so long it just seemed to complicated and expensive.....

colt45

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's the one. I got it from him 2 weeks ago. Works like a charm any questions let me know.

colt45

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not complicated. In fact I think everyone with a yamaha should have this. It is amazing.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian , you have 132 hours on a 2005? If I read your profile correctly. I just checked mine and I have 256 hours on my 2007. I wonder how many hours you can go before having to do a rebuild. Have a good one.
We have heard stories of 1,000 hours on rental jetskis with the mr-1 engines, engine issues are few and far between, just becareful removing spark plug #3 as they can get frozen and break off if some sort of anti seize wasn't used when they were installed.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not complicated. In fact I think everyone with a yamaha should have this. It is amazing.
I agree and I think $75 is a bargain. I bought mine 6 years ago and it was $150 then.

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree @maboat Its amazing the things this software can do. Not only report on conditions and identify codes, but also actually test components too! Using this software we can exercise some of the moving engine components, test fuel injectors, etc. Its really cool to see all the number flow once the engines are running!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We need an inhouse instructor on staff to walk guys through simple scenarios!

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is it YDS or YDIS? I see them used interchangeably but the service manual that I have only has YDIS. I wonder if we are confusing people by using both terms.