• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

0 - 30 mph & 1/4 mile Speed Tracking App

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm going to nerd out a bit on this one...

In antici(say it)pation of our Yamaha arriving we've been picking up a few 'boat' items here an there. Fathers Day brought a set of Lucky 13 Cones and Ribbon Delete Rings. (the $40 off per cone at GreenHulk is still a thing btw) Once performance type stuff started showing up my mind went racing (pun intended) to visions of before vs. after runs in our new boat on some random Tuesday afternoon while the lake is empty and quiet. Being an empirical data type of guy at work I wanted a better way to quantify my tests beyond; "Yep, that felt faster/quicker". Did a little searching and found a free app by the name of GPS Race Timer. Looks like you can set two timers, either can be 0 to whatever, or time over distance 1/4 mile type. It also shows current and max speed. It just happened to be the first one that was not an 'In App Purchases' type. There is a very small add ticker at the bottom of the screen. Oh, almost forgot, it's GPS triggered, no start button. Long story short, I got excited about it, and figured some of you might as well. Anyone ever use it, or know of others?

Apple LINK
Android LINK

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Dragy is what most car guys use.

Realistically though once you get the boat and on the water, I doubt you will give 2 shits about performance #s.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
once you get the boat and on the water, I doubt you will give 2 shits about performance #s.
Long term, no doubt. Just looking to play with it pre/post install of those cones and ribbon rings. Now if we were getting anything with the super customizable SVHOs... I'd hard mount something like this to the helm. :cool:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Long term, no doubt. Just looking to play with it pre/post install of those cones and ribbon rings. Now if we were getting anything with the super customizable SVHOs... I'd hard mount something like this to the helm. :cool:
Even the SVHOs on this boat - there isn't much you can do. From what I have read, the mods you are looking to do have minimal effect. These motors are set up damn near maxed out from factory.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'm going to nerd out a bit on this one...

In antici(say it)pation of our Yamaha arriving we've been picking up a few 'boat' items here an there. Fathers Day brought a set of Lucky 13 Cones and Ribbon Delete Rings. (the $40 off per cone at GreenHulk is still a thing btw) Once performance type stuff started showing up my mind went racing (pun intended) to visions of before vs. after runs in our new boat on some random Tuesday afternoon while the lake is empty and quiet. Being an empirical data type of guy at work I wanted a better way to quantify my tests beyond; "Yep, that felt faster/quicker". Did a little searching and found a free app by the name of GPS Race Timer. Looks like you can set two timers, either can be 0 to whatever, or time over distance 1/4 mile type. It also shows current and max speed. It just happened to be the first one that was not an 'In App Purchases' type. There is a very small add ticker at the bottom of the screen. Oh, almost forgot, it's GPS triggered, no start button. Long story short, I got excited about it, and figured some of you might as well. Anyone ever use it, or know of others?

Apple LINK
Android LINK
In reply to your first sentence…. (hopefully I’m on the same page with you)

Maybe the Ray is really to blame… I’ll remove the cause…. But NOT the symptom.

I was just listening to the opening song this morning….

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In reply to your first sentence…. (hopefully I’m on the same page with you)

Maybe the Ray is really to blame… I’ll remove the cause…. But NOT the symptom.

I was just listening to the opening song this morning….
Back in the mid to late 80's the local theater in the mall held a midnight double feature every other Saturday night with Rocky Horror and Heavy Metal.

It was an absolute blast.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Back in the mid to late 80's the local theater in the mall held a midnight double feature every other Saturday night with Rocky Horror and Heavy Metal.

It was an absolute blast.
Now that would have been a great double feature! We used to go see the RHPS in a theater that used to be an indoor pool.. still had the tile around the sides and the seats were in the old pool… we used to go ice blocking in a park before the show.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now that would have been a great double feature! We used to go see the RHPS in a theater that used to be an indoor pool.. still had the tile around the sides and the seats were in the old pool… we used to go ice blocking in a park before the show.
I must admit... had to Google "Ice Blocking". That looks like fun on a hot summer day!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
use the Torque app on Android. It has 0-30 0-60 and 1/4mi timers that are based on accelerometers and GPS. Might not be accurate for crap, but it's precise enough to tell differences between before/afters.

Summerweatherlover

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I’ve used GPS Race Timer and Race Stats. Both can be GPS triggered but GPS Race Timer is is better suited to boats because it is more customizable to the typical boating speed ranges. Race Stats does however have a 1/4 mile timer.

I’ve also had limited experience with Harry’s GPS Buddy but haven’t found it to be as useful. There are several other paid Harry’s apps which may be better suited but they are fairly expensive. Not interested in shelling out cash on something that might not fit my needs.

I just recently started playing around with the free version of Track Addict and like what I’m seeing so far. For boating the Drag Race and possibly the Raw Data modes look promising. The Drag Race mode allows you to select 1 of 6 distances ranging from 1/8 to 1 mile. What I like is this app records video and provides a data overlay without having to buy any other peripherals (unlike the popular Dragy). The free version is limited to 3 recordings but you can delete previous recordings to use the free version on an ongoing basis. The paid pro version removes this limitation and is well priced assuming it works as hoped. I plan to try out the free version soon but it looks like it could be a complete solution.

Here’s a quick snapshot of the apps I’ve mentioned. I likely will cut this down to GPS Race Timer (for simple timing runs) and Track Addict (when video recording is preferred).

6ED2F750-8922-4F33-8777-5B4ACB626B1D.jpeg

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dragy is what most car guys use.

Realistically though once you get the boat and on the water, I doubt you will give 2 shits about performance #s.
I just got a dragy. It's pretty cool. It'd be pretty fun to use it on the boat, lol.

Cellphone apps aren't going to be very accurate. Phones update GPS at 1 Hz, once per second. Dragy is 10Hz, so it's much more accurate. There's a few options out there that are in the 20Hz range, but they don't seem to be any more accurate.

With a phone app, your margin of error is about a second. With a dragy, it's a tenth.