• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2016 Lineup of boats - The real info will be posted at 7 PM EST on Saturday August 22nd

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
All the issues here with Chap and Scarab, Im staying with Yamaha
What issues? I only saw a couple issues with Scarab 165's and 195's? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
What issues? I only saw a couple issues with Scarab 165's and 195's? Am I missing something?
You're not missing anything. Just passionate Yamaha owners. It happens in nearly every scarab or chap thread, you just have to take it with a grain of salt.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Im the last guy to call a Fanboy, Seriously. For a new boat line I saw more of those 2 boats in threads where people had issues with boats that didnt run, had to go to the dealers and they didnt have a clue. I didnt see much of that from Yamaha boats this summer. Yer talking about the guy who calls his boat Paper Tornado cause of the cheap interior materials

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Evil Sports I'm with you. I know yamahas aren't the best boat on the water but I think they are the best jet boat as far as reliability. I like the looks and interior quality of both the scarabs and chaps but I know the Yamaha will get me home at the end of the day. I haven't heard of anyone saying thier Yamaha was in the shop to get engines replaced or realigned, no cavitation issues that I know of, no dealers saying I don't know what to do etc etc. believe me I'm not bashing the other brands, I just think they are going through some serious growing pains and it will take a couple years to get these bugs worked out. Until then I'm sticking with the all one brand boat, Yamaha.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I've been having cavitation issues for the last year. I went to replace my second impeller after resealong both pumps and the shop stripped my driveshaft splines. Now I'm fighting with them over that.

I think most people just don't post about their issues if it is a well known topic that is easily researched.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Every brand has their issues - every brand has pros & cons.
Jump on the MasterCraft forum and read about guys having issues with their brand new $145k X23. And then theirs the $155k Nautique G23's that were stranded after losing their driveshafts.
The thing is - people come on forums to seek advice and to bitch about issues - motorcycle forums, truck forums, car forums, etc. Most people don't post about the wonderful times they're having. So for every post about a mechanical issue or a dealer issue, there's 100's, maybe even 1000's of people living large. Think about how many Yamaha's owners don't even know about this forum.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Scarab, Chap, Yamaha and every other jetboat has an advantage over the prop boats. It is called jetboaters.net

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Forums in general are the place for people to vent their frustrations, seek assistance, or show off. I was mentioning that in almost every single thread that is Scarab or Chap specific, you'll see some sort of jab from a Yamaha owner, and I haven't quite figured out why. There are many proud owners who have worked very hard and are very proud of their BRP powered boats, but somebody always feels the need to mention how their boat isn't as good as the Yamaha one is. The overwelming majority of the time, the provided reasoning is inaccurate.

This board is littered with issues (mostly Yamaha issues). It's what the board is here for. People focus on the Scarab issues because they are new and different.

As a member that does not yet own a jetboat, I don't have blind brand loyalty. There is support for each make of jetboat on this forum, but we all know it's yamaha support or @ScarabMike .

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
SILENCE - X1.jpg

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
What the heck just happened to this thread?
Pics of the new boats or it doesn't exist!

My wife is thrilled with the 255 porta potty setup. She also just bought me a tower a couple months ago. Don't think I am going anywhere for about 10 years, and when I do it may be a totally different boat.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Forums in general are the place for people to vent their frustrations, seek assistance, or show off. I was mentioning that in almost every single thread that is Scarab or Chap specific, you'll see some sort of jab from a Yamaha owner, and I haven't quite figured out why. There are many proud owners who have worked very hard and are very proud of their BRP powered boats, but somebody always feels the need to mention how their boat isn't as good as the Yamaha one is. The overwelming majority of the time, the provided reasoning is inaccurate.

This board is littered with issues (mostly Yamaha issues). It's what the board is here for. People focus on the Scarab issues because they are new and different.

As a member that does not yet own a jetboat, I don't have blind brand loyalty. There is support for each make of jetboat on this forum, but we all know it's yamaha support or @ScarabMike .

You have to remember that this forum was born off of another specific Yamaha Jet boat forum. You may or may not know that. People always go back to what they know best and this community knows Yamaha the best. We are growing in the other areas and hope to be will versed on all brands of jet boats in due time, but it takes time. Most of the comments from the members to other members are usually in good fun and shouldn't be taken anything but that. This group as a whole is a fantastic group and I would personally try to help with any issue with any boat that I could. I would love to take a ride on any of the other jet boat brands just to see the pros / cons.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, I haven't read every post in this thread just those on this page. I figured it's getting close to release time and someone may have some pics of the new boats being tested or transported. Nope, just the usual Chevy v Ford conversation right now.

Given that the 240s underwent a major overhaul in 2015, I don't think here will be any big changes in those models this year. Yamaha also introduced the fsh this year so I don't think there will be any other new models except maybe a larger fsh. I am hoping that Yamaha incorporates some of the new features of the 240s into its other models, they could all be quieter and would benefit from an articulating keel. However, Yamaha's release history has got me setting low expectations like the graphics will change and the msrp will go up 3% to 5% but that is about it.

The scarabs and chaps are beautiful looking boats better than the current lineup of Yamaha IMHO. I get that a lot of what I read about scarabs is from a small sample of owners and that the nature of forums like this I may see more complaints than compliments but if I was in the market for a new jet boat and stumbled across this site I would be leaning toward a Yamaha because the idea of buying a new boat only to have issues with it that immediatly put it into the shop instead of in the water would just kill me.

It seems like half of the scarab threads I've read are about problems with the pumps. I recently read about a 255 that cost $75k with numerous issues. These are not just inconveniences like an errant warning or micro cracks in the gel coat, these are things that will keep you off of the water which is the exact opposite of my goal of I'm buying or just bought a new boat. Until boat test starts being more objective in its reviews I'd have to stick to word of mouth to determine what a boat is really like and that means relying on posts/reviews on sites like this (I.e., actual owner reviews).

Now who has early release pics of the latest Yamahas? I'd like to see what kind of graphics changes will be made for the usual increase in msrp.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Its not the boats as Chap and Scarab have made excellent boats for years, it is the power plants that people are having issues with, electrical gremlins etc. I have a SeaDoo Ski and it has always ran but not a fan of it for other reasons, primarily their weedless system and plastic wear ring. While good intentions with the idea, the fact that a little twig that I can dislodge on my Yamaha and keep going with no issues, that same twig on the ski puts it in the shop getting a new wear ring every time. That is getting old at $90 a pop so much that the ski has sat for most of the summer...

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I, for the record, really like the Yamaha boats. I am not blind to the issues that some of the scarab boats are having, and also the lack of experience when it comes to the dealer techs. It is definitely far from perfect. It is the reason I am tuning into this thread, I am as excited as anyone to see what is coming next from Yamaha. I believe a 24 ft version of a 212 X might ultimately be what I am looking for from yamaha. Something a little sportier looking, maybe a little faster than the current 24 models, with low speed control, OEM ballast, perfect pass, and chartplotter. Today, that boat doesn't exist in Yamaha's line-up, so I've been looking at alternatives. Not many seem to acknowledge the fact that the competitors offer this stuff already. I would love a yamaha boat, but as of today, you must option your boat via the aftermarket.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Your wish will be granted... 242X will be seen in a few days.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is a supercharger any good without bigger pumps?
It makes a noticeable difference on the 192 vs. the 190, especially when you add weight. I am pretty sure the pumps are the same. I think the added torque converts to more pump suction and compression. It also kills the fuel economy. A 1.8 twin engine supercharged boat would be thirsty, but it might be what the doctor ordered to handle the ballast weight for surfing, and it would be fast as f%^$ without ballast loaded!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Jetboaters staff recently had the opportunity to spend time with Yamaha checking out the new models and we'll post photos and video when they are released. We are under NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) with them, so can't divulge anything, but are delighted to have had the opportunity to do this, and can't wait to share tons of photos and videos!!! Less than 10 days to wait!!!!!!

Top Bottom