• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another good reason to own a jet boat....

Completely off topic but has any one heard how the ar240 capsized in NewYork harbor. I've never seen a Yamaha on its back like that.

I don't think anyone is disputing that but......

My point was that you could be getting ready to pull out..... you look around and everything appears clear.... then someone decides to swim past the back of the boat... spending on the height of your transom you might not see them as you look backwards.... if you backup and hit them, there isn't a prop in the water to do serious injury. Not saying they wouldn't get injured but a prop will cut or amputate, which can result in rapid blood loss.

Stuff can happen.... even with the safest captain.... all I'm saying is a jet eliminates that additional injury potential vs a prop when unexpected things happen. The guys earlier post about the boat hitting as stump and kicking the outboard into the back of the boat and the operator losing a hand is a prime example. A Yamaha Outboard Jet would have prevented that.
Eliminate? Not likely. I dare anyone with long hair or a child to swim under or near a jet intake while the engine is on. It’s ain’t gonna be pretty and would likely drowned. There are also plenty of attachments people add on jet boats (metal fins, surf attachments, ladders etc for example) that can cut someone if the boat was backing up like that and run over people. Jets seem to give people a false sense of security nothing bad can happen. They’re called accidents for a reason and a jet is maybe a little safer but probably not when you have a drunken idiot at the helm.

Eliminate? Not likely. I dare anyone with long hair or a child to swim under or near a jet intake while the engine is on. It’s ain’t gonna be pretty and would likely drowned. There are also plenty of attachments people add on jet boats (metal fins, surf attachments, ladders etc for example) that can cut someone if the boat was backing up like that and run over people. Jets seem to give people a false sense of security nothing bad can happen. They’re called accidents for a reason and a jet is maybe a little safer but probably not when you have a drunken idiot at the helm.

Fair point and yes all bets are off with drunks and idiots... but I suppose I am talking more about prop strikes more than anything.

But I've never heard of anyone having hair sucked into a pump or anyone stuck to a grate.

Last edited:
Back