• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone got the new diesel Yukon/Tahoe/Sububan?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone got one yet? Appears to be a game cha ger with 8000 pounds towing and nearly 30mpg on the highway.

We may be looking at replacing my wife's Rogue sooner than expected, and this seems like the most practical option (outside of it being hella expensive).

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone got one yet? Appears to be a game cha ger with 8000 pounds towing and nearly 30mpg on the highway.

We may be looking at replacing my wife's Rogue sooner than expected, and this seems like the most practical option (outside of it being hella expensive).
TFL Truck on Youtube has done a couple of reviews on the GMC Yukon I think. They also have some seat time in the new Silverado/Sierra with the baby Duramax. They have great things to say about it.

We had a 2003 Yukon and loved it. Interestingly enough my wife also now drives a Rogue. That old Yukon was a beast of a tow vehicle. We had it loaded up with 4 people, the rear cargo area stuffed and the boat being used as a utility trailer of sort for a weeks worth of camping. It did amazingly well, and acted just the same as always. Almost as if nothing changed.

If I had the spare cash sitting around I would seriously consider a new Yukon with the diesel. Wife is talking Jeep Wrangler though, so I doubt I'll get another one :(

meaningreen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've looked at the Sierra with the Diesel in it, but have been waiting to see what faults or concerns come up as more of them get sold and get higher miles on them. Concerns I've seen are the oil pump belt that has to be inspected at 150K by removing the transmission, and there was some other belt at the back of the engine that had to be replaced or inspected at 100K. Otherwise I've heard good things.

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
TFL Truck on Youtube has done a couple of reviews on the GMC Yukon I think. They also have some seat time in the new Silverado/Sierra with the baby Duramax. They have great things to say about it.

We had a 2003 Yukon and loved it. Interestingly enough my wife also now drives a Rogue. That old Yukon was a beast of a tow vehicle. We had it loaded up with 4 people, the rear cargo area stuffed and the boat being used as a utility trailer of sort for a weeks worth of camping. It did amazingly well, and acted just the same as always. Almost as if nothing changed.

If I had the spare cash sitting around I would seriously consider a new Yukon with the diesel. Wife is talking Jeep Wrangler though, so I doubt I'll get another one :(
Our Rogue was overall trouble free until about 50k miles. Early on (25k ish) we had the strut mounts replaced because they were noisy. At 50k one of the side camera went out. Last week the pinch bolt that holds the lower control arm ball joint to the steering knuckle fell off. Luckily it didn't separate on the highway, but it did throw a slip light and some other warnings. We were about to take it to the dealer for that when the ball joint fell out as she was going around our cul de sac, thankfully going like 3 mph.

I managed to get it cobbled back together enough to be movable, and the parking pawl seems to have broke itself, it makes a ratcheting noise when you put it in park and doesn't sit in place without the parking brake, even on mostly flat ground. It rolls back in drive on slightly non flat ground now as well. It got flat bedded to the dealer today, hopefully will hear tomorrow what sort of demon has taken over it.

All in all I'm very thankful that it happened when I was wfh a day, in our cul de sac, and not on the highway at speed. I don't know how long we will be keeping it, as the warranty expires in 3 months. So I guess that's a blessing too, she's at 56k miles and 57 months of the 60 month powertrain warranty. It seems likely that the cvt is gonna get replaced, luckily not on our dime.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've looked at the Sierra with the Diesel in it, but have been waiting to see what faults or concerns come up as more of them get sold and get higher miles on them. Concerns I've seen are the oil pump belt that has to be inspected at 150K by removing the transmission, and there was some other belt at the back of the engine that had to be replaced or inspected at 100K. Otherwise I've heard good things.
I did some poking around off this info. Found a good video of a guy who went over it in the truck. Seems reasonably well thought out. Sucks about the belts, but I suspect it won't be that much worse than a timing belt every 100k like you'd get on an import.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
#J-RAD has one in the Sierra I don’t think he has towed with it yet.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our Rogue was overall trouble free until about 50k miles. Early on (25k ish) we had the strut mounts replaced because they were noisy. At 50k one of the side camera went out. Last week the pinch bolt that holds the lower control arm ball joint to the steering knuckle fell off. Luckily it didn't separate on the highway, but it did throw a slip light and some other warnings. We were about to take it to the dealer for that when the ball joint fell out as she was going around our cul de sac, thankfully going like 3 mph.

I managed to get it cobbled back together enough to be movable, and the parking pawl seems to have broke itself, it makes a ratcheting noise when you put it in park and doesn't sit in place without the parking brake, even on mostly flat ground. It rolls back in drive on slightly non flat ground now as well. It got flat bedded to the dealer today, hopefully will hear tomorrow what sort of demon has taken over it.

All in all I'm very thankful that it happened when I was wfh a day, in our cul de sac, and not on the highway at speed. I don't know how long we will be keeping it, as the warranty expires in 3 months. So I guess that's a blessing too, she's at 56k miles and 57 months of the 60 month powertrain warranty. It seems likely that the cvt is gonna get replaced, luckily not on our dime.
Man, good luck with the warranty and getting it repaired. I had a lower ball joint fail on an S10 at about 3mph and it stopped the truck dead in it's tracks. I had just done a "speed test" well into the triple digits and was literally turning around to head home. Super scary to think of that happening with family in the car.

We bought our Rogue brand new in '18 to replace a failing '10 Traverse neither of us were thrilled about. They had HUGE rebates to move the '18's off the lot in late '19. Got $7,500 rebate, and around $5k off MSRP as well. Local dealer had 52 of them on the lot and was being heavily incentivized to get them gone from Nissan. That covered the down payment, a little bit of negative in the Traverse (because it had noticeable issues), and discounted the price significantly. With it being a commodity car though, we're already back to upside down. I think we paid $22k, and the last time I looked at KBB it's worth like $16k now. I was pushing for a Q5 with the 2.0T and ZF transmission. Purchase price was similar to the Rogue, but it came with 75k miles. I know that driveline and platform decently and wasn't worried about it, she was "My friends say Audis are maintenance nightmares I want something Asian this time". We had an A4 for 5 years that was no more maintenance than our GM cars, but that wasn't the point. Her car, her choice.

Due to Covid, WFH, and the preference to drive my truck over her car. The Rogue only has ~20k miles on it right now. Figure at this rate we have another few years of use out of it. We read all the CVT info, and talked to other people that owned one before we bought. It offered an exceptional value for what we got, even if we factored in a $5k transmission every 5 years (when we were driving a lot). I'm concerned about it to be honest, but am going to leave it be until it shows some problems. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones that doesn't have an issue?!?!

She's talking 4-door Jeep now. We'll see how that works out. I suspect we'll keep the Rogue another few years at least. We have the same 60k warranty to work through, and with the vehicle getting such little use now, we'll run out of months before we run out of warranty. Would LOVE to talk her into a Rivian R1S, as that would be a GREAT vehicle for her. I don't think she's sold on it though, and we'll have to wait until we can see one in person to sign up for it.

iamdarrick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I have a 2021 Chevy Suburban z71. Haven't tow with it yet. This summer I will be pulling my AR210 to Chicago.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

S7INGR4Y

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a Sierra with the 3.0L Duramax. It is an awesome setup. Tons of torque, and great mileage. The 10 speed shifts extremely smooth and doesnt ever gear hunt, or hard shift (common issues with the 8 speed auto GM uses). I average about 25-26mpg in mixed city/interstate, but on longer trips down 55mph roads the truck has averaged 30-32mpg. Pulling the AR192 on the 3hr drive home was a breeze obviously, and I was getting 18mpg towing. The truck only gives subtle hints that it is a diesel, so if you are used to a big 2500-3500, it isnt the same. Its really quiet, and unfortunately you don't get as heavy exhaust braking as I would like (supposedly the trick is with tow mode on, youmanually downshift the truck).KIMG1956.JPG