• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone install Polk db521 speakers on their swimdeck?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am planning on putting a pair of these db521 coaxials on the swimdeck of my SX230 and swapping all four of my stock speakers in the bathtub with Polk db651 coaxials.

Likely will put in a switch to swap power to the rear inboards and swimdecks as needed. Will likely not do an amp now, will leave that for a future mod.

Not looking to shake the whole sandbar or hear on the towed tube. Aiming for better/cleaner sound inboard and to hear similar on the swimdeck while anchored.

Thoughts?

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
The dB521 has an open voice coil gap around the tweeter mounted pole piece so every time water washes back there is a chance of getting water and debris remaining in the VC gap. Okay for in-boats but not a good choice for the transom.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The dB521 has an open voice coil gap around the tweeter mounted pole piece so every time water washes back there is a chance of getting water and debris remaining in the VC gap. Okay for in-boats but not a good choice for the transom.
I was thinking about putting them in this location (grabbed photo from @OperationROL):

image.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The Polks are a good reasonably priced upgrade from the stock speakers. Even my wife could tell the difference when I was installing them. I see no reason the Polks wouldn't go in that same spot, although those are 4" Fusions in the photo, so be sure you have enough clearance behind them for the Polks.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'd go with the MM651UM on the swimdeck like I did. I do recommend putting an amp on them for them to reach their full potential. They like power!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@GTBRMC , mounting any speaker in that location will be ok, but they are not sealed well, like @David Analog said. I had the JL MX650 in that exact location, just like @OperationROL and I didn't get water that high up ever from slosh or backwash. It will definitely get the sound out of the bathtub and out back. You can also put the front bow and cockpit speakers on the front channel and the transom speakers on the back channel and use the fader to move the sound to the back speakers, but I am not certain that the speakers or the head unit are capable of driving the 4 speakers off of a two channel setup like an amp could. I don't know about Neil's system, but I can tell you that like @PEARCE is saying, powering the speakers changes your stereo system considerably, and for me, it wasn't about being the most powerful or even playing to the masses. It was about actually being able to play at a level you can hear it both outside at anchor, and inside when cruising...and that takes amplification. Because as you run up the volume, the speaker isn't given a clear power signal from an HU, and the speaker begins to distort quickly. A small amount of power, say 50 watts per speaker, will not only allow the speaker to play cleanly, it will allow it to do so at a much higher level of volume. So now hearing it while running across the lake or even out back when swimming is a possibility. But just adding speakers outside the bathtub alone will get you the ability to hear music while swimming too. And that speaker is a pretty good entry level speaker, certainly miles ahead of the Seaworthy speaker that was stock in your boat!

Last edited:

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Right. You definitely do not want to run two speakers in parallel for a 2-ohm load off the BTL output of a source unit. Series is fine. Using a selector switch is fine.
Ultimately, you will add a small external amplifier to the transom speakers and at that time you may choose to maintain the speaker selector switch in half it's capacity to provide complete isolated zone control. You might also add a PAC LC-1 to the amplifier input if there are times you would want control over the blend.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All - thanks for your input, some great info and helped shape my thoughts.

Also, just read through Mel's audio odyssey thread putting a kick-ass system into (formerly his) SX230 over on YJB. Impressive install and a wealth of info!

I appreciate and realize the differences in various equipment, brands, and setups. If my spare time and spare money were not issues, I would likely go a different route. My current thoughts:

Phase I: swap out the four stock speakers with Polk db651 speakers (very simple, cheap, big immediate sound improvement)

Phase II: add a pair of Polk MM651UM speakers per above photo location, likely add a mid-priced amplifier at that time (more $$$, more complexity, more time, more improvement inside the bathtub, add swimdeck functionality)

Couple thoughts:

- I will not notice any tonal mismatch from the bathtub to the swimdeck (two essentially separate zones) so I could use other brand/construction speakers back there...correct?

- I don't really want to add a sub, but will leave open that possibility for the future. Similarly, if I really get into the audio upgrades, I can toss the db651s and go for better at only a $130ish loss.

Question: Has anyone installed an amp under the port side convertible passenger seat/lounger in an '07 - '09 230 series Yammie? That space always seems wasted to me, but it would be more accessible than the area behind the helm for the install and rare amp check/tweak. Also it would be a much shorter power feed and ground run from/to the batteries than either the helm or port side phone booth locations.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think @jawsf16 added his amp under the port seat. No mismatch I don't believe. And you can go with a number of brands. But only a few out there specialize in marine grade speakers, and labeling them marine grade doesn't mean they actually are. Note that the MM651UM is about the same price as the JL MX650 and both are good speakers, so you can go whatever route you want. When I compared the two, I chose the JL's because I felt the construction and ability to last in a marine environment was maybe a tad better with the JL's. I also liked the white sports grilles. Anyway...enjoy the journey! I am in the middle of mine too @GTBRMC on the Blue Yonder now. I am going with pretty much the same thing I did on the Nauti Dawg, all JL components. I am adding two additional speakers (8 total now) in the helm seating area, to round out the sound from the aft cockpit speakers. I have already changed the 4 existing speakers (2 bow, 2 aft cockpit) for the JL MX650's and will add the helm and transom speakers as well as the 10" JL air suspension Subwoofer. And I will drive the 8 speakers and the sub with two amps, the M600/6 and the M500/3, but the actual use will only push the sub with 180W and each speaker with 60W, so plenty of headroom on the amps and the same drive to all coaxials. I also had to replace the existing Clarion HU and ended up with Yamaha credit and chose the Fusion IP700i and the compatible transom remote, and I have to say I love that HU and remote. Good luck on the upgrade, you will like the Polks, and like you said, if you decide you want more drive later and adding power doesn't suffice, you can change those speakers out and not lose too much at all. As a matter of fact, the DB651 is so popular as a speaker replacement on non powered applications, you can probably sell them and get much of that back!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 2008 SX210 and current boat both had the amps under the port seat right next to the battery. No complaints, easy install, shorter power cables and easy access.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just caved in and bought four Polk db651 speakers for the bathtub on Amazon. $120.48 all-in delivered.
I have held off for five years, just had to do it. :headphone:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2008 SX210 and current boat both had the amps under the port seat right next to the battery. No complaints, easy install, shorter power cables and easy access.
@jawsf16 where/how did you route the line out wires from your head unit over to the port seat amp location?

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@jawsf16 where/how did you route the line out wires from your head unit over to the port seat amp location?
I went through the ski locker, around the upper edges and then into the storage closet and back into the battery compartment. There are several places you can pass the wires through. Take a flashlight and fish tape to it and you will find them. I used Velcro and zip,ties to keep the wires up under the inside lip of,the ski locker.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I went through the ski locker, around the upper edges and then into the storage closet and back into the battery compartment. There are several places you can pass the wires through. Take a flashlight and fish tape to it and you will find them. I used Velcro and zip,ties to keep the wires up under the inside lip of,the ski locker.
Great! I was in the ski locker earlier tonight, figured there had to be a way through in each direction. Quite a bit shorter than going up behind the bow seats or back to the engine compartment and forward to the amp. Also, looks like minimal chances to pick up any interference or signal noise on that route.

Thank you for the insight.