• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery Fuse at fuse block

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2020 AR195. Single battery OEM. Also tested on new battery today. No amp. No after market speakers, no additional led lights. Basic Jensen radio. D34F382C-22E3-43BE-8244-94FE6247FD68.jpeg
(picture above is blown fuse 30amp battery)
At home check: Terminals we’re cleaned and cables cleaned from any corrosion. Battery was fully charged and tested at 13.1 amps. Hooked up garden hose using connector. Water off. Turned battery switch to on position.Turned blower on for approximately 3 minutes. Started engine. Engine on. Connext working. Turned on garden hose. Engine ran with water coming out piss holes. Let it run for 10minutes.
Issue: 30 amp battery fuse blown at fuse block behind engine. Connext off. Not able to start. No clicking of starter.
What worked: Blower, couresty lights, nav/anc, bilge, horn. Battery tested. Radio.
What happened: On water. Got up to speed (20mph), then idle speed, engine died after 10 minutes on water.
What I checked on water. Impeller. Nothing sucked up. Lanyard safety key was connected. throttle is in neutral.
What I did: Switched off battery rotator switch to off position. Disconnected battery cables. Replaced blown 30 amp fuse with new one. Connected battery cable to newly purchased battery. Tested voltage of new battery 13.2 volts. Turned power rotator switch to on. Pop. Another blown fuse.
Was helped by another boater and got my boat on trailer to bring home.
This is what a I can think of: 30 amp battery fuse in fuse box only blows on the water. Engine bay is dry. And there is no water on the fuse panel. Could it be the transducer? No idea. Maybe the starter relay?
What I discovered at home: Starter relay had a gap on the right side nut connecting battery cable (positive)I placed a washer to fill the gap between the cable and screw.

I’m out of ideas. I checked the fuses behind the helm which were none were blown.
FAAD324B-CF96-48BF-9E4D-BD27788F7C94.jpeg(New battery specs)5390C76D-E28D-4CF3-BCE1-6D1F01CE23C4.jpeg (starter relay) right side nut had gap between main positive cable and female end. I added a washer and tightened the screw with cable attached. No more gap. Could that be the issue? A gap on the starter relay?

Last edited:

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Any idea what that fuse is resposible for? That would be my first question. That will give you a better sarting point for troubleshooting. Either that circuit is drawing to many amps from whatever appliance it is supporting, or your chaffing off somewhere to ground.

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Owners manual and fuse diagram identifies it as “battery”. Not much more to go off. I know my battery positive terminal has one large positive going into the engine bay. My negative terminal on house battery has 3 connections. One is a larger 4awg (likely main ground), two ground cables listed ground 1 and ground 2 (not really helpful). I might have to pull the wiring harness out to find the ground that might be shorting. But what would short only on the water and not resting on the trailer dry?
Edit: can the transducer (speed/depth) sensor short the 30amp battery fuse? Seems unlikely.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check your connections in the battery switch? Mine were pretty loose, only noticed because I was adding some new toys to the switch.

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check your connections in the battery switch? Mine were pretty loose, only noticed because I was adding some new toys to the switch.
I will do so. Thanks for the feedback Inthrustwetrust. Can anybody read this diagram? My blown fuse is “g” but I’m confused as to where and what it protects.216B057C-1E56-4E1E-8FFA-9F83945C56E0.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Were you having this issue before the new battery? What type of battery is it? Why did you replace the battery?

If you we’re not having this issue with your old battery then logic dictates it’s the new battery.

Your 30 A fuse G goes to the regulator / rectifier from the fuse block. So all the output from your alternator / generator passes through that fuse on its way to the battery and the main buss that supplies all of the power to the boats electrical system when the engine is running. It is possible that the regulator/ rectifier has gone bad and is producing too much current, or has a direct short to ground. The alternator does not put out full power until roughly 3500 rpm, so if you are just idling on the hose the output from the alternator is at its lowest. Re reading your post I see that the on the water fuse change resulted in another blown fuse, this makes me think the reg/rec has gone bad. If you have the service manual there might be a test in the manual with an ohm meter on the reg/rec leads to test whether or not the reg/rec has gone bad.

Have you tested since you put the washer under the connection on the starter?

If you follow the wire down from fuse G to its connector near the reg/rec you will see the two pin connector with a red and black wire. The black wire goes to the multi pin block that inturn is hooked to the Earth Plate which is the common ground buss for the whole system and provides ground reference to all the other multi pin plugs and their associated devices.

You can also try unplugging the two pin connector that goes to the reg/rec when you replace the fuse to isolate the fault.

Last edited:

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Were you having this issue before the new battery? What type of battery is it? Why did you replace the battery?

If you we’re not having this issue with your old battery then logic dictates it’s the new battery.

Your 30 A fuse G goes to the regulator / rectifier from the fuse block. So all the output from your alternator / generator passes through that fuse on its way to the battery and the main buss that supplies all of the power to the boats electrical system when the engine is running. It is possible that the regulator/ rectifier has gone bad and is producing too much current, or has a direct short to ground. The alternator does not put out full power until roughly 3500 rpm, so if you are just idling on the hose the output from the alternator is at its lowest. Re reading your post I see that the on the water fuse change resulted in another blown fuse, this makes me think the reg/rec has gone bad. If you have the service manual there might be a test in the manual with an ohm meter on the reg/rec leads to test whether or not the reg/rec has gone bad.

If you follow the wire down from fuse G to its connector near the reg/rec you will see the two pin connector with a red and black wire. The black wire goes to the multi pin block that inturn is hooked to the Earth Plate which is the common ground buss for the whole system and provides ground reference to all the other multi pin plugs and their associated devices.

You can also try unplugging the two pin connector that goes to the reg/rec when you replace the fuse to isolate the fault.
I had the problem on the oem battery before I bought the new battery. I replaced the battery because I thought at first it could be a bad battery. I also wanted extra piece of mind if the oem battery died on the water I’d have a new battery to get back home.
I have not tested it since adding the washer on the starter relay. I will pull out the service manual this evening and see if I can test the reg/rec. and check connections on the earth plate. It’s a good place to start. I’ll also unplug the two pin connector to isolate the fault. As much as this was frustrating, this was a positive experience. Those electrical diagrams have so much going on in the picture can be hard to focus at 10pm in the evening. Thank you for your explaination FSH-210-Sport.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had the problem on the oem battery before I bought the new battery. I replaced the battery because I thought at first it could be a bad battery. I also wanted extra piece of mind if the oem battery died on the water I’d have a new battery to get back home.
I have not tested it since adding the washer on the starter relay. I will pull out the service manual this evening and see if I can test the reg/rec. and check connections on the earth plate. It’s a good place to start. I’ll also unplug the two pin connector to isolate the fault. As much as this was frustrating, this was a positive experience. Those electrical diagrams have so much going on in the picture can be hard to focus at 10pm in the evening. Thank you for your explaination FSH-210-Sport.
Check the charging voltage when it is on the hose. Should be upwards of 14.4 volts.

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Checked main battery switch for loose wires. Found none, but did find a dead bug in the switch. Kinda weird.

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I just tested with the washer on the lead. It holds 14.4-14.5 volts at 3500 or more rpm’s. At idle it’s 14.15.-14.3 volts. The up and down could be a result of my unsteady hands holding prongs on the engine and fuse.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Checked main battery switch for loose wires. Found none, but did find a dead bug in the switch. Kinda weird.
Was it across the terminals?

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wiring gremlins suck. Beginning to sound to me like you have a short somewhere in the boat that occurs when the wires are moved and touch together (while the boat is moving). But to blow only the 30amp battery fuse means it must be pretty close to the battery otherwise it would blow an accessory etc fuse.

Perhaps post some photos taken all around your battery compartment.....maybe something will leap out to us - or be more visible on camera??? just brainstorming here....(aka grasping at straws LOL)

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wiring gremlins suck. Beginning to sound to me like you have a short somewhere in the boat that occurs when the wires are moved and touch together (while the boat is moving). But to blow only the 30amp battery fuse means it must be pretty close to the battery otherwise it would blow an accessory etc fuse.

Perhaps post some photos taken all around your battery compartment.....maybe something will leap out to us - or be more visible on camera??? just brainstorming here....(aka grasping at straws LOL)
I’ll take some pictures and video. See if somebody notices something out of place. While I really want to get on the water, I also enjoy solving mysteries so it’s not a complete disappoint. I checked the earth ground and that was tight and secure. No wiggle from the connected cables. Also the bolts were secure as well. Can the starter relay short the 30amp battery fuse? That little washer I installed on the +battery cable to stater relay keeps popping up in my head pun intended. No loose connections with the oem battery On/Off switch. Could be a loose battery terminal but doesn’t seem right considering both my oem and new battery resulted in same blown fuse.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’ll take some pictures and video. See if somebody notices something out of place. While I really want to get on the water, I also enjoy solving mysteries so it’s not a complete disappoint. I checked the earth ground and that was tight and secure. No wiggle from the connected cables. Also the bolts were secure as well. Can the starter relay short the 30amp battery fuse? That little washer I installed on the +battery cable to stater relay keeps popping up in my head pun intended. No loose connections with the oem battery On/Off switch. Could be a loose battery terminal but doesn’t seem right considering both my oem and new battery resulted in same blown fuse.
From the wiring diagram above, the starter is connected to the battery directly - it only shows the starter connected to the ground....which is strange...how does the rest of the boat have a ground connection? You only have one battery correct?

something is clearly moving and/or touching to cause a short, and based on that wiring diagram my guess is its a battery or starter connection.
@tek4fun any guesses here?

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From the wiring diagram above, the starter is connected to the battery directly - it only shows the starter connected to the ground....which is strange...how does the rest of the boat have a ground connection? You only have one battery correct?

something is clearly moving and/or touching to cause a short, and based on that wiring diagram my guess is its a battery or starter connection.
@tek4fun any guesses here?
Correct, I only have one battery. If a positive cable in the starter relay was loose or had too much play could that short the starter and Connext system?

Rakkaone187

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It died again. On the water, idling. Drove around 15 minutes, went variable speeds 4-20mph. Fuse box is good. I took it apart and inspected it. The wiring harnesses looks good. No signs of burning or melted rubber. Got a warning check engine bring to Yamaha dealer.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It died again. On the water, idling. Drove around 15 minutes, went variable speeds 4-20mph. Fuse box is good. I took it apart and inspected it. The wiring harnesses looks good. No signs of burning or melted rubber. Got a warning check engine bring to Yamaha dealer.
Did it blow the fuse again?