• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bilge filled with water, pump submerged.

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wet slip the boat and after 3 days I check out the bilge area and its submerged in water, pic attached. Pump never auto turned on and am not sure if this is from rain.
-Any possible culprtis? Leaks?
-Bilge area has always been pretty dry, never saw this much water.

2018 Yamaha 242x with 110hours

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did it rain??

Does the bilge pump work in manual?

Not sure on your year boat if you have to leave the battery switches on or not.

Did you check the fuse for the auto side of the bilge pump?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2017 242X. Did you have the battery switch on for the bilge? You can also test the bilge to make sure it's working. Curious also if it rained? If not, there are other ways to check for a leak.

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2017 242X. Did you have the battery switch on for the bilge? You can also test the bilge to make sure it's working. Curious also if it rained? If not, there are other ways to check for a leak.
No rain that I know of. Battery switches stay off as from my understanding the bilge is an auto sensing bilge even with the batteries off.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I believe - the batteries being off, kills all power, including the bilge pump. Not sure about your model, but that’s the way it works on my model and year.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
No rain that I know of. Battery switches stay off as from my understanding the bilge is an auto sensing bilge even with the batteries off.
I have a '22 275SD and according to the manual the House Battery switch needs to be ON for the bilge pump to operate.

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 6.22.02 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-27 at 6.23.08 AM.png

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I have a '22 275SD and according to the manual the House Battery switch needs to be ON for the bilge pump to operate.

View attachment 186754View attachment 186755
I agree with my 2022 SX195, I need the battery on but the switch can be off and the auto bildge will still work. I believe pre 2019, the battery and switch needs to be on for the bildge to work.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with my 2022 SX195, I need the battery on but the switch can be off and the auto bildge will still work. I believe pre 2019, the battery and switch needs to be on for the bildge to work.
That’s the case with my 2012. Both have to be on.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Chris Kasz My 2017 model the battery switch has to be On for the bilge to work, but the ignition key can be off. Maybe yours is different being a year newer? If you turn your battery switches on, does the bilge kick on after 2 minutes? So we know the Pump definitely works.

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Chris Kasz My 2017 model the battery switch has to be On for the bilge to work, but the ignition key can be off. Maybe yours is different being a year newer? If you turn your battery switches on, does the bilge kick on after 2 minutes? So we know the Pump definitely works.
Pump works when turned on. My 2018 ar190 bilge turned on if there was water even if the battery was off .

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Pump works when turned on. My 2018 ar190 bilge turned on if there was water even if the battery was off .
I always recommend you determine, by testing, how your bilge pump works. Never assume it's wired a particular way. Take a Tupperware container and if you think it should auto sense.....drop it in the Tupperware full of water. If it hasn't pumped it out in 4 minutes....it isn't going to, and you need to look into why (clogged, no power etc)

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I wet slip and was worried about what happened to you.

After taking possession of my 2022 FSH 210, set it in the driveway and made sure the batteries were OFF. Filled the bilge area with a hose to test what happens. My bilge pump turned ON.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wet slip and was worried about what happened to you.

After taking possession of my 2022 FSH 210, set it in the driveway and made sure the batteries were OFF. Filled the bilge area with a hose to test what happens. My bilge pump turned ON.
Same here with my 2021 AR, this is how I tested it, even though my manual specifies it, i wanted to be sure after my oil cooler hose burst and my bilge started to fill with water.

LoWeLL216

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my 2016 AR240 the bilge pump activates (every few minutes) even with both battery switches off.

If I manually turn the autobilge off (on the screen) before I turn off the ignition and the batteries then it doesn't.

Just open your engine bay and listen if you're not sure. You can hear the bilge activate (again - every few min).

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
On my 2020 242SE, the bilge pump is wired directly to the house battery with an inline fuse.

I made a video showing its operation:

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a similar issue as you, but mine was due to a couple of reasons. One, the amount of rain we had gotten. The other culprit, and I really had no idea how much of a difference it made, was water-proofing the mooring cover. I recently re-applied a coating, and the boat has been bone dry. And thats with some additional heavy rain. Getting that water to bead off the cover is a huge first step in keeping it dry.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
.... On the safe side and it will go in this fall when it is easier to work on the boat, I will put a second bilge in, that will be connected directly to the house battery. That way I am always protected, as the 2015's had to have the battery in the on position for the bilge or any electronics to work.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@The Canuck - what protectant/sealant did you use on the mooring cover? we have the snap on covers and our boat is on a mooring all season, any waterproofing would help.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
303 Fabric Guard - Waterproofing

I ended up putting two coats on. First time I did it, got the cover sprayed, and not 2 hours later, the skies opened up and unleashed a dumping as it was laying out in the sun to dry. Says it takes a good 24 hours to cure. Tried it the next day, and I kid you not it rained again, but I was able to get it under some cover in time. Works great, and will more than likely be an every other year event to re-coat. Doesn't take but 30 min to apply once you have it laid out.