• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2019 July 7th (Bahia Mar) depart July 8th for Bimini return July 13th

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
you get to have kidney stones removed in US hospital instead of the infirmary in Bimini LOL
That is true, that was the only but very major benefit to the otherwise disaster.

leonard delia

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello all -

July 6 or 7th through July 12 or 13th of 2019

I will be a first time crosser this year and these are the BEST dates for my family to go. I can use the 4th Holiday to get to Florida and save a little vacation time. I have read almost every Bimini thread and we've been planning on doing this since last summer. We are going one way or another!!

I am really not the person who should be leading the group across the Ocean as it will be my first crossing, but I am quite capable of doing other planning etc.

I am hoping some experienced crossers want to join based on these dates. I am open to suggestions on where to stay and such. I was looking at Big Game Club as my preferred alternate. Also with a smaller group maybe we don't have to add in a night a Bahia Mar, but I am open to that if its best.

I really just want to get the discussion started for these dates. I am flexible for departure to Bimini on Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I would prefer to cross back on Saturday but I am also flexible there too.

About me: I am an experienced inland boater, I have owned a boat since I was 11 years old (Dad's boat) and I bought my Yamaha 212 Ltd S new in July 2017. I have many years experience in a 19' open bow I/O on Lake Michigan. My boat and crew will be equipped and prepared for a solo crossing, but it is not my preference. My first mate is my 20 year old son who has been boating since diapers. Crew of 4 total.

Lets do it!

Edits
Important highlights:

Please read this thoroughly:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/#coast

This is my first time crossing to Bimini, however I am an experienced boater and have lots of group organization experience as well. This trip starts with a 57 mile crossing from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini Bahamas. We start with a 6:30 AM departure from the Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel.

This is a smaller crossing group than in past years so please keep in mind that as the Captain you are responsible for your boat and crew. ALL boats should have VHF radio. When all is said and done, if you aren’t prepared for a solo crossing, then you aren’t prepared to cross with this group.

All boats need to carry sufficient fuel to reach Bimini with a reasonable reserve. For most of our boats that is simply a full tank but for 192/195s that is perhaps an extra 25 gallons.

All boats should maintain sufficient speed to keep up with the group. At minimum that speed will be planing speed. In decent water our speed will be around 30 MPH at which our boats are most efficient. In rougher water we will (try) maintain MINIMUM 25MPH.

Sunday 6:00 PM Captains meeting(s) at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel.

Monday 6:30 AM Departure from the Bahia Mar Yachting Center for Bimini Bahamas.

Saturday ~ 6:00 AM Departure for Fort Lauderdale (Meeting place to be determined later)

It is your decision if you want to take your boat out of Port Everglades and attempt the crossing. I am sure that we will all be monitoring the weather and wave forecasts, keep in mind, the forecast may be wrong. If you do venture out of Port Everglades it is your responsibility to get your crew safely to Bimini or return them to Port Everglades. If you experience difficulties other boats will attempt to help but in conditions such as those experienced in 2015 there is very little that another boat of our size and type can do. If you do take on water please keep your crew on your boat. Once in the water your crew will be moving at an average of 4 mph in the Gulf Stream. It is much safer to stay in the boat and wait for rescue. You need to monitor your fuel consumption. If fuel consumption becomes an issue you need to travel at a more efficient speed.

Stopping - we will do our best to handle any issues that occur within our group. From previous threads I expect a stop part of the way into the trip to clean out seaweed. If a boat needs to stop the others in the group will either circle or stop depending on the conditions. As stated before there is very little that another boat of our size and type can do.

During the crossing we will use VHF marine radios to communicate between boats. In the United States it is not legal to use VHF radios on land. Once in the Bahamas they will be used for communication on shore as well. On shore they are basically a party line to organize outings, find friends, etc.

As users report confirmed details they will be added-

Confirmed:
Trip Leader:
@afsigma21 - Confirmed at Bahia Mar, 7/8 to 7/13 Confirmed cottage and slip at Bimini Big Game Club 2017 212 Ltd S crew of 5 (Sea Goooals)

Confirmed for Trip with details:
@jaburt - 2017 Vetern. confirmed 07/08-13, house in canal, SB 2016 242 242X E
@Blue Hawaiian - 1st time, confirmed 07/08-13, Resort World condo with slip, NB 2018 AR195.
@AJack - Confirmed 07/08 -12, Resort World condo with slip, NB; 2018 SX24
@SlowDorado -1st time, confirmed 07/08 - 11 21' Scout
@jctaylor crew of 3, confirmed at Hilton at Resort World. 2019 Sea Hunt Ultra 211

@leonard delia Crew of 3 confirmed Resort World Condo & Bahia Mar Alice Town Yamaha 242 limited S
Jose Martinez (Username?) Crew of 6 Confirmed Resort World Condo & Bahia Mar Sundeck 26' (Booked at Bahia Mar?)
@LayneG confirmed Crew of 2, Confirmed Resort World Condo & Bahia Mar AR 240
@Denis ‘ATAdventure’ confirmed Bimini Sands crew of 6, 24'

Question Marks:
@Yamaha212limiteds – Crew of 5 with 212 Ltd S, waiting on Resv confirmation.
@chris34 – Originally messaged me he was confirmed, need confirmation of dates/ Stays

Jose martinez signed up his boat is called No way jose

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I got him updated on front page

Blue Hawaiian

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
please update mine of :
@Blue Hawaiian - 1st time, confirmed 07/08-13, Resort World condo with slip, NB 2018 AR195. Crew of 4 (Lu Lammon), thank you !

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
When it comes to things like bilge pumps that can fail. 2 is 1, 1 is none. It's better to have a backup.

The people in that video weren't the brightest group of people it seemed like. I'd been a little upset if my boat is sinking and she was laughing about it.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As julian mentioned a very cheap 2nd/3rd option is overside tsunami pump. I can hook right to battery and pump stupid amount of water. I fill 2100lb in about 4min to surf.

jaburt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My condo in South Bimini just got cancelled through vr has anyone else had this problem

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine is through AirBnB, and I just checked - still reserved. Did they give a reason?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As julian mentioned a very cheap 2nd/3rd option is overside tsunami pump. I can hook right to battery and pump stupid amount of water. I fill 2100lb in about 4min to surf.
Good luck handling that while getting swamped in just about anything over 2ft seas in these boats, while you hold on to your butt, lol.

--

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good luck handling that while getting swamped in just about anything over 2ft seas in these boats, while you hold on to your butt, lol.

--
That's a very good point.
If you're going to go this route with the external pump, make sure it's a team effort. One person can't do everything, especially if things get bad.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

--
If your boat is swamped in over 2 foot seas no bilge pump is going to solve your problem as you'll remain swamped.

A tsunami pump is a great way to clear your deck of water and add bailing capacity over and above what the deck drain is doing. I actually like having it as an option for deck drainage vs opening up the deck to the bilge and flooding the bilge with water.

We went over how to deploy it before leaving - its really hard.....put the head in the water, hose back over the stern and plug it in....couldn't be simpler.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In all seriousness, how many boats have been swamped in all the years jetboaters.net has done organized crossings? Just curious. Trying to be prepared.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
In all seriousness, how many boats have been swamped in all the years jetboaters.net has done organized crossings? Just curious. Trying to be prepared.
From memory.... (@Bruce probably has a better feel for this), I think 2 boats and 2 skis....

Multiple boats have run out of gas (I rescued one with the coast guard).

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In 2015 two Yamahas were swamped near Port Everglades.

In 2017 one cabin cruiser suffered a hull failure that was likely caused by an object impact and was swamped.

In 2018 one Yamaha was swamped but maintained power in the intercostal due to not installing a drain plug.

That is all the swamping that I am aware of.

Several boats and skis have turned back due to mechanical or structural issues over the years.

Previously I calculated the probability of a successful Bimini trip at 67.5% https://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/#prob

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am afraid I will have to agree with @swatski on this one. It depends on how cool and capable the crew is.

If I am in a situation with 6+ inches of water in the cockpit ( which we had in 2017 despite the bow cover being on), I would rather not have my crew moving around the cockpit. Trying to deploy pumps and/or connecting to batteries is not something me or my crew can do in "high" seas. I already had someone falls off the chair during the crossing and as far as I am concerned everyone is staying in their assigned position while I am making sure that bow is pointing up. Hopefully the scupper do its job

As matter of fact we had waves come over the windshield and I am not sure if I want batteries exposed knowing that 30 second before we have water coming from over the windshield. When we arrived everything that was not in vacuum bag was wet. Ski locker, head, rear storage everywhere it was wet. Some places ( like ski locker it was dripping wet). Cannot image having a cushion flipped up knowing a similar waver might come in.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Cannot image having a cushion flipped up
Not flipping up a cushion....plug is in accessible without going under a seat.

Each to their own. My bilge pump is fully operational. My backup is tested. I have 3 radios. I have more than enough insurance! I'm comfortable. :winkingthumbsup"

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All crews are different, some are well-seasoned and practiced, some are much less so. Same with captains. You have to figure out where in that spectrum you and your crew honestly fall. I know a lot of people who like to fool themselves and others into believing they know more than what they really do. I'm not the type to just make assumptions about somebody else's experience, or lack thereof, based on my own experience, or lack thereof.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There were additional extended power outages in Bimini and Nassau over the weekend. As demand increases these will get worse.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A tsunami pump is a great way to clear your deck of water and add bailing capacity over and above what the deck drain is doing.
I have to disagree. Carrying a tsunami throwable little pump... sorry it sounds like a joke. Well, maybe I just spent too much time with a bunch of pretty rough characters when fishing off the Northeast in my youth, lol, but I can assure you this idea would be met with... significant skepticism.

One of the major reasons I looked at Yamaha jet boats to start with is the self bailing deck.

Your “over the side pump” working against gravity will be ten times less efficient as compared to the big drain in the rear of the cockpit with the bow up. That drain working, BTW, is non-negotiable.
Absolutely nothing will clear the deck faster. And if you have water going in under the deck and engine bay and bilge - there are two pumps to help there, and those should be automatic and independent.

In an emergency situation when stuff breaks loose and things start flying around, say your bimini gets loose and starts thrashing around the deck violently - Good luck looking for your 12v cig lighter.

Just my 0.02

:cigar: