• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2019 July 7th (Bahia Mar) depart July 8th for Bimini return July 13th

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think it is important to note that a Yamaha has never been saved by a bilge pump or other on board pump during one of the Bimini crossings.

The scupper drains water much faster than a bilge pump or external pump would.

Two Yamahas were pumped out by tow boats. That cost each $8K or so that was not covered by tow insurance.

If you get water in the boat what is important is to keep moving, keep the bow up and avoid taking additional waves over the side or stern.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
All crews are different, some are well-seasoned and practiced, some are much less so. Same with captains. You have to figure out where in that spectrum you and your crew honestly fall. I know a lot of people who like to fool themselves and others into believing they know more than what they really do. I'm not the type to just make assumptions about somebody else's experience, or lack thereof, based on my own experience, or lack thereof.
We talked about this before and the miss understating of the term "projection". But I guess I am hard at learning.
Me and my crew are the voice of incompetence. Cannot go to a foreign county without a passport; cannot tow a boat on a caravan or move around the cockpit when Poseidon is having a field day. As mentioned multiple times in the past, my posts are typically addressed for people who are equally incompetent, so they know what to except. Not all crossings are like 2018 and not all crews are prepared as yours might be. Which reminds I keep this short as you have weather app you need get familiar with.

That being said, for both the incompetent & hubristic crews I wish you have a 2018 crossing. Nothing will make me happier than after all of you have come back I find out that no pumps were were ever needed.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
tsunami throwable little pump
My Tsunami pump is twice the capacity as my built in bilge pump....1000 GPH, and it only needs to lift 2-3 feet or so

You are correct, the deck drain is the primary deck drain and will clear more water than both pumps put together. But I still have a backup.....and insurance. My back up pump is more for use as an alternate bilge pump in the event my primary bilge dies, in a swamped scenario, the best approach is to keep the bow up and keep moving. We went through some pretty serious waves and never came close to stuffing a bow....weight in the back....appropriate speed (not too fast) and all is good!
I wish you have a 2018 crossing.
This would be the ideal for sure! Right now forecasts are favorable!!!! I will make a sacrifice to Poseidon tonight! LOL

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For clarity
We talked about this before and the miss understating of the term "projection". But I guess I am hard at learning.
Me and my crew are the voice of incompetence. Cannot go to a foreign county without a passport; cannot tow a boat on a caravan or move around the cockpit when Poseidon is having a field day. As mentioned multiple times in the past, my posts are typically addressed for people who are equally incompetent, so they know what to except. Not all crossings are like 2018 and not all crews are prepared as yours might be. Which reminds I keep this short as you have weather app you need get familiar with.

That being said, for both the incompetent & hubristic crews I wish you have a 2018 crossing. Nothing will make me happier than after all of you have come back I find out that no pumps were were ever needed.
For clarity for the more sensitive souls, my post was not aimed at anybody in particular. It was just a reminder that not all jetboaters are playing at the exact same level of experience. I am by no means claiming to be anything more than what I am or trying to put anybody else down. I can recognize there are others on this very board with far more salt water experience than I have or will likely ever have. Sometimes we lose sight of that and fail to put recommendations in the proper perspective, my post was merely a reminder expressed as kindly as I know how.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You guys have me a bit nervous now lol. 2 of my crew are getting scared as we approach. They will absolutely freak out if I take water over the bow....
My secondary bilge is 1100GPH but I do not have anything planned for the cockpit area.

I have VHF and a SPOT3 device. I have type 1 vests, I have flares and a floating safety rope. I think I am OK.....

I asked the one non family member of what it was they were scared of .... "I don't want to die" Could use assistance with an answer to that... the chances of that are infinitesimal.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For clarity for the more sensitive souls,....... my post was merely a reminder expressed as kindly as I know how.
Forgive me for lack of better response but your kindness floods my eyes with such a tsunami of tears that my hands are completely preoccupied with the copious amount of liquid coming from above

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You guys have me a bit nervous now lol. 2 of my crew are getting scared as we approach.
scared ? why ? it is not that we are taking a class D boat Bermuda Triangle or anything LOL

The likelihood of anyone dying is significantly less that what your crew in thinking. Are they worried that you will be in a car wreck on the way to FLL?
You got Type1 jackets and the USCG has 10+ hours of sunlight to pick your a*ses from the water.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was honestly so surprised by the comment I was speechless. Unfortunately when I explain things like "Type 1" flotation and all the marine terms, she looked at me like I was talking a foreign language. She is a boat owner. PLUS I was thinking "This trip is like 10 days away and you say this NOW?"

Now my wife is feeling squeamish about the crossing.

I am extremely confident I have everything covered but there is no convincing them! UGH!

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys have me a bit nervous now lol. 2 of my crew are getting scared as we approach. They will absolutely freak out if I take water over the bow....
My secondary bilge is 1100GPH but I do not have anything planned for the cockpit area.

I have VHF and a SPOT3 device. I have type 1 vests, I have flares and a floating safety rope. I think I am OK.....

I asked the one non family member of what it was they were scared of .... "I don't want to die" Could use assistance with an answer to that... the chances of that are infinitesimal.
Best thing I can tell you is take the stories with a grain of salt. Yes they happened, but mostly due to extenuating circumstances. Don't get me wrong, this is a serious endeavor and should not be undertaken lightly, but a little preparation and a realistic assessment of yourself, your crew and you equipment, seasoned with some of the more reasonable advice on this forum (with the excess drama filtered out) will go a long way towards a successful and uneventful trip. IMHO, of course. Last of all, if it's too rough, TURN AROUND! Try to cross another day. Bimini is nice, but not worth a stressful crossing, in my opinion.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What @Sbrown said! This isn't a walk in the park, but no one is going to die from the trip (unless they die of their own cause....heart attack etc). This is one of the busiest water ways in the world. The USCG patrols it incessantly. We will never be out of range of other ships and/or the USCG. The worst case scenario is that a boat sinks. If that happens, you end up on a coast guard cutter back to the US, and you have a story you will NEVER forget! As Betik points out....your driving to work today will risk you more.

Be prepared....and prepare your passengers. You plan for the worst....if you weren't planning for the worst your passengers should worry.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

My perspective is that a cautious approach to the crossing and time spent in Bimini is better than a foolhardy approach. There are many who would encourage you to cross based on their experience. Some of those have less experience than they appear to have.

If I were going this year I would be happy to have you in my crossing group. You are prepared equipment wise and not ignoring the potential risk.

@Julian has two trips and a daunting rescue as experience. He is a great guy and I would feel confident following him across.

This isn't a walk in the park, but no one is going to die from the trip (unless they die of their own cause....heart attack etc).
People die crossing the stream most years. Sometimes they are lost venturing out from Bimini for day trips. We are fortunate not to have lost any JetBoaters.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it were my boat I would prefer that that passenger crossed on the ferry or a flight. I have had an extended family passenger who was afraid of death in my boat in a storm. She made the situation much worse. You do not want to be trying to calm an out of control passenger while navigating rough water.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was honestly so surprised by the comment I was speechless. Unfortunately when I explain things like "Type 1" flotation and all the marine terms, she looked at me like I was talking a foreign language. She is a boat owner. PLUS I was thinking "This trip is like 10 days away and you say this NOW?"

Now my wife is feeling squeamish about the crossing.

I am extremely confident I have everything covered but there is no convincing them! UGH!
If that’s the way they feel I would seriously consider putting them on the ferry or fly them over. Nothing makes for a more miserable crossing than passengers screaming they are going to die, and kill you if they were to survive.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian has two trips and a daunting rescue as experience. He is a great guy and I would feel confident following him across
I couldn't agree more, @Julian is definitely a solid Dependable guy, but unfortunately this would require you moving up your trip to July 1st to coincide with ours, which I wholeheartedly recommend doing, if I may say so.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Working out those details quickly.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Changing directions

Opinions on the bow snap on cover installed or off? Any risk of damage if enough water comes over?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My overside is back up to my backup. I agree self bailing deck is best. 2 pumps in bilge is best.. the over side is more of an oh shit just trying to slow down the sinking

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Changing directions

Opinions on the bow snap on cover installed or off? Any risk of damage if enough water comes over?
No bow cover for me.

I believe @Betik had a bad experience with his in 2017.

If you are worried about the cost of the bow cover then leave it at home. But also remember that this is a trip where damage to your boat could go far beyond the cost of a bow cover and other larger expenses could easily pop up.

SlowDorado

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
im confused, is there a general fear or is it inexperience? there's so much talk of fear of taking on water, sinking and dying here. this is a 50 mile of boating that most boaters do easily in an afternoon. I would think the 5-6 foot wakes I deal with on the Hudson river in and around local ferry traffic is more worrisome. having only owned Boston Whalers and Scout boats with outboards, I seldom see more than a cup of water in my bilge. any water that does come over the bow usually drains right out through the scuppers. the key here is knowing your boat and experience handling your boat.

if you take on water, trim up, throttle up, keep the boat moving and let it drain out.

call me crazy, but if you have that much water in the bilge that you need 2x1100gph pumps. you're better off taking out the drain plug and get the boat on plane as quick as possible. the water will go through a venturi affect and get sucked out as your moving at speed.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@SlowDorado, a similar sized Scout with an experienced Captain returned to port during our 2017 crossing.

People die in the stream.

Last year an experienced crew took $50K of damage to a 62 Ocean before aborting the crossing.

Do no underestimate her.