• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2019 July 7th (Bahia Mar) depart July 8th for Bimini return July 13th

SlowDorado

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
i don't doubt the power of water. but the experience of the captain makes a world of a difference. if the Scout captain saw what he/she couldn't handle on the water, i would say it was smart of the captain to return to port.

i just don't see a point of inflicting fear vs. providing helpful details on how to manage the crossing.

the intro to this crossing says it best, each captain is responsible for their own boat and crew.

for any captains with only experience handling a floatie in a pool, then the crossing isn't for him or her.

Last edited:

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I asked about the bow cover due to EXPERIENCE on Lake Michigan. We always used it there, we would get water over the bow on occasion and it just rolled off so we did not really have to deal with it on the boat. I was really asking to get feedback. I watched the 3 hour video of the 2018 crossing and he had the bow cover on. I understand the ocean will be different than Lake Michigan, but some of it will be the same.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have always use fear to help guide me. While leading platoon in combat patrols in Iraq, I ensured that complacency never set in. I'm applying everything I learned from what can happen on this crossing, and believe I have redundancy in as much as I can. Even after that, I have created kits in the event total disaster does occur.

At the same time, I've told the crew how bad conditions can get. My plan is to create a mentally tough crossing, and hopefully it'll be better.

SlowDorado

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have always use fear to help guide me. While leading platoon in combat patrols in Iraq, I ensured that complacency never set in. I'm applying everything I learned from what can happen on this crossing, and believe I have redundancy in as much as I can. Even after that, I have created kits in the event total disaster does occur.

At the same time, I've told the crew how bad conditions can get. My plan is to create a mentally tough crossing, and hopefully it'll be better.
I don't think that's necessarily "fear". that's using your experience and leadership skills.

Semper Fi
thank you for your service.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I asked about the bow cover due to EXPERIENCE on Lake Michigan. We always used it there, we would get water over the bow on occasion and it just rolled off so we did not really have to deal with it on the boat. I was really asking to get feedback. I watched the 3 hour video of the 2018 crossing and he had the bow cover on. I understand the ocean will be different than Lake Michigan, but some of it will be the same.
I had a bow cover on one of my previous boats and always used it to prevent water intrusion when it was really nasty out and much like your experience, no matter how much water it took, it all just rolled right off. I attribute it to a bow cover that was installed properly. It's funny, but the bow would dip in and the bow cover would get a big load of water, then flip it up over the bimini on the next wave. People sitting in my two back corner seats got soaked by all the water the bow was flipping back over the bimini. It was great fun! Those were waves!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As per the bow cover. If I was crossing again next week I will not plan to use it. Defiantly not without modifications.

At the beginning of the crossing it held up relatively well. However at some point it became super wet and started to sag. Eventually about half the snap got undone and it was flopping. At that point is more or distraction than really doing anything.

To the bow covers defense; I have no idea how water it might deflected before collapsing. I do have hundreds of GoPro shots showing water over it. As far as I can tell the bow cover is not meant to deflect water in the condition that my boat was in ( or the angle of approach which I directed my boat).

If I were to use it again I would triple the amount of snaps and probably bigger that the suplier ones.

In regard to cost, I hope you are prepared to take a significant dollar amount in damage while crossing. The $160 of bow cover is a drop in the bucket.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Sbrown thank you the description on your bow cover experience. Now I have a better understanding your experience with waves.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only had the cover when crossing in my 190 in 2016(?), I think, and it was very helpful IIRC. But I did not have anything like @Sbrown is discribing happening, that could be annoying.

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@SlowDorado i do not think it is a matter of spreading fear. It is a matter of reality.

I took at least 2 waves which came over my windshield and over my and Sarah’s heads. This was not spray, this was a well form wall of water. Maybe they are crews and captains who find this entrainment, but 20 miles off shore it kid of gets old very quickly. I also hardly remember any of my elder in the Mediterranean taking water over their heads lightly. And these guys had to use a boat to buy milk and bread everyday.

I am going to go on limp here and say that going over major wale from cruise ship might have a very different frequency that what the crossing will present.

Just saying .....

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I watched the 3 hour video of the 2018 crossing and he had the bow cover on. I understand the ocean will be different than Lake Michigan, but some of it will be the same.
The 3 hour video is mine , but the boat is not. I was not at the helm and certainly did not make any decisions as per the boat set up. For the record the reason why that boat has a new paint job is a direct consequence of the 2017 crossing.

For whatever my opinions are worth or not. If there is only thing you will listen to me about is that you should not take the 2018 as a representative of crossing. I attended both crossings in 2018 ( June and July). On the June crossing it was completely ridiculous. We were doing 35 mph and I could on sit the bow of pocket cruiser.
The July crossing was also a joke ( or a comedy/tragedy) but for different reasons. If the July 2018 group had run to surprise 2017 conditions we would made national news.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm beginning to pre-pack the boat for the trip but have not figured out how to keep the cooler in the bow between the seats and prevent it from moving aft. Any suggestions? I might place two ropes from the front port and starboard grab rails to the cooler just to keep it from sliding aftward.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm beginning to pre-pack the boat for the trip but have not figured out how to keep the cooler in the bow between the seats and prevent it from moving aft. Any suggestions? I might place two ropes from the front port and starboard grab rails to the cooler just to keep it from sliding aftward.
I wouldn't put the cooler in the bow. Put it between the seats in the back. Make sure it is clear of your deck drain - put something smaller between it and the drain to allow flow through. Or put it in a storage location and have a small cooler for drinks for the crossing. A cooler in the bow will simply end up in the stern, get hammered to bits, add weight to your bow....etc etc. Light items in the bow. Secure your anchors WELL....or move them. If the crossing is rough, you won't want to have anyone going up to the bow to do anything for long.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will re-state what I have stated in several earlier posts. I am really a group organizer, not a "crossing guide" so to speak. I am an experienced boater but have readily admitted that I have never crossed. Based on the relative success this group has enjoyed over the past 7 years or so I am fairly confident.

However - ALL boats in THIS group have to be mentally and equipmentally prepared to cross by themselves. We simply do not have enough experience to approach it any other way.

I will advise people to stay in site and line up in their 1,2,3,4,5 etc position and stay together etc etc. That's all we can do.

If the weather is bad I am prepared to turn around and spend a day to 5 days in FLL.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will re-state what I have stated in several earlier posts. I am really a group organizer, not a "crossing guide" so to speak. I am an experienced boater but have readily admitted that I have never crossed. Based on the relative success this group has enjoyed over the past 7 years or so I am fairly confident.

However - ALL boats in THIS group have to be mentally and equipmentally prepared to cross by themselves. We simply do not have enough experience to approach it any other way.

I will advise people to stay in site and line up in their 1,2,3,4,5 etc position and stay together etc etc. That's all we can do.

If the weather is bad I am prepared to turn around and spend a day to 5 days in FLL.
I would try not to get too close to each other and not ride too close behind, in other boats' white wash, it tends to decrease your pump/fuel efficiency (due to air ingestion).
Hope you guys have fantastic weather! I'm so envious.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would think, if you can avoid having anything sitting on the deck it would be best, frankly. In an unlikely event you get hit hard with a storm cell (you will be watching the weather so that is unlikely) a cooler can become a missile in a hurry. Load stern heavy, too. Almost nothing heavy in the bow storage, in my book. The center panel window up and strapped, unless the conditions are really smooth.

--

SlowDorado

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use a anti slip mat used to mount fuel tanks under the cooler follow by straps on each side to hold it in place. The mat also helps prevent scratches to the deck.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use a anti slip mat used to mount fuel tanks under the cooler follow by straps on each side to hold it in place. The mat also helps prevent scratches to the deck.
How far have you taken your Scout offshore, if I may ask? In rough conditions? How rough? You mentioned 5-6 foot waves (???!) - if those had relatively short period there is no way your Scout could do very well there in open water...
I could be wrong. Am I wrong?

That said, there are also big differences in design making our jetboats somewhat unique. For example, your 21 footer’s hull length (under water line) on plane is effectively longer than a 24’ Yamaha (Yamaha transom is recessed and they include swim platform in LOA) while your outboard provides a pivot point for the stern/transom whereas our Yamahas break from the water surface as the intakes can not generate enough suction, which makes for a pretty jarring ride and way more inertia for things to break loose and fly around on the deck- in very rough conditions a Yamaha jetboat going fast literally takes the pounding like nothing else, lol.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski your post reminded me the sound of the impellers spinning through air ........ almost makes wanting to tow to FLL right now
I am afraid that productivity is going to deep for the next 3 weeks

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One really wants to avoid going airborne! Can't be helped every now and then, but if you are routinely going airborne you are going too fast and need to slow down. This results in much lower MPG and a longer trip, but doesn't beat the daylights out of your boat and crew- also necessitates carrying fuel reserves. Also, driving into oncoming waves is to be avoided. Tacking for a while to adjust the angle results in a smoother ride, better fuel efficiency but increases the distance traveled.

Then you combine all of the above with watching for storm cells, and ideally going around them, islands of sargassum weeds,.....and it makes this trip challenging!

The sargassum weed issue is one we've touched on a few times. It is critical for each captain to keep an eye on his speed, rpm and listen to the impellers to know when they are cavitating. The boat I rescued did not pay any attention to this and ran out of fuel long before getting close to bimini (because he let the boat cavitate the whole way). I drove their boat in for them and it was cavitating the second I started driving. When I asked the captain if it sounded ok, he said "yes". I stopped and did the reverse manuever and then fought with his plugs (weren't maintained) to clear out weeds, and then it sounded fine and we made it 22 miles on 15 gallons....just ran out 1 mile from the Sands - where Bruce brought us more gas.

At times I felt like we were running an obstacle course with the huge islands of weeds, weaving in and around them! (worse the closer to Ft. Lauderdale you are). I hear that the weeds are getting worse each year.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The cooler will be holding food to be cooked once at Bimini, not for drinks during the ride. Due to the size, it is staying in the room the entire trip as smaller coolers will be used for daily trips (all crew [x3] will be aft of the windshield), thus, too large to fit in any compartment. I read on the preparing for Bimini thread to keep weight up front, but with these posts, I will need to re-adjust the plan.

I wouldn't put the cooler in the bow. Put it between the seats in the back. Make sure it is clear of your deck drain - put something smaller between it and the drain to allow flow through. Or put it in a storage location and have a small cooler for drinks for the crossing. A cooler in the bow will simply end up in the stern, get hammered to bits, add weight to your bow....etc etc. Light items in the bow. Secure your anchors WELL....or move them. If the crossing is rough, you won't want to have anyone going up to the bow to do anything for long.