• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini Pig Roast June 2014 - Bimini, Bahamas

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ok, admittedly, once again, I am living vicariously through you guys. But I just did two pork butts last weekend. I guess I have about 7 or 8 pounds of clean pulled pork out of that. It is amazing and freezes very well. The only thing you have to do to reconstitute it, is to heat in freezer bags until thawed, pour in some sauce, and your good for BBQ! Amazing sandwiches. Not trying to direct this for you, but pulled pork will keep for months frozen. And a little dry ice will keep it frozen for several days in a very small cooler. Pics to follow!

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have a magma grill and 6 propane bottles that I will be bringing. So I can champion some of the non pig related cooking. Maybe some brats and dogs? Don't know how many to get for 60+ ppl!?

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can bring beer and will be loaded heavy with beer. Mel is right though about the pulled pork. We do that alot here at home with the pork butts and they do last forever in the freezer. That is a thought...

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
per the below screen capture, plus adding in 16 more as an estimate we are a little shy of 50....THATS AWESOME !! do we want to organize this, or make a list and have folks draw from it ?.......do we run the risk of turning this into a Texas barBque.....(meat with a side order of meat) !!

per this thread:
Bruce: Ham, sweet tea, baked beans
justason: Braughts (brats?)
tim2808: potato salad and regular salad
waterboy: Beer, meat
RobA: grill and fuel

upload_2014-3-27_12-38-18.png

@upperdeck how do you feel about adding this list to the Bimini 2104 thread here. I find it useful, and you can add TimH to it as applicable. I'm not sure if all these folks are "here"

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will bring 40 pounds of ham. I can get frozen brats in 10 pound boxes for $2 a pound.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
per the below screen capture, plus adding in 16 more as an estimate we are a little shy of 50....THATS AWESOME !! do we want to organize this, or make a list and have folks draw from it ?.......do we run the risk of turning this into a Texas barBque.....(meat with a side order of meat) !!

per this thread:
Bruce: Ham, sweet tea, baked beans
justason: Braughts (brats?)
tim2808: potato salad and regular salad
waterboy: Beer, meat
RobA: grill and fuel

View attachment 3104

@upperdeck how do you feel about adding this list to the Bimini 2104 thread here. I find it useful, and you can add TimH to it as applicable. I'm not sure if all these folks are "here"
Bruce started the thread, so I think he can add it to the top post. I think everyone from the other site is on here except Yaman and maybe TW00155.

I'm in to bring whatever is needed!

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm down to bring whatever is needed. If someone wants to come up with a rough menu

Chrissy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am sooo excited! I moved from the old forum too (thanks Andy & Cindy)! This will be our first trip (still haven't heard from the hotel - keep your fingers crossed. Lol) I'm a southern girl, you KNOW I'll bring some food for the pig roast!! Yum Yum! Skinny girls LOVE too eat!! Lol

Tyler

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Count us in for this! Our room appears to have a grill on the balcony which could potentially be relocated if needed (i'm not sure what the grill setup is outside) and we're down to bring whatever is needed, however we'll also be in a 21 footer so we'll see how the space issue plays out. Will paper plates and such be needed or is everyone using the ones from their rooms?

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Where are we doing this? Honeymoon cove? Or where the tiki bar is on the south tip? I don't think we are doing this at the marina.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think that's the plan. Its an awesome place to hang out, swim, stingrays, sandy beach, protected place to tie up, etc.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am sooo excited! I moved from the old forum too (thanks Andy & Cindy)! This will be our first trip (still haven't heard from the hotel - keep your fingers crossed. Lol) I'm a southern girl, you KNOW I'll bring some food for the pig roast!! Yum Yum! Skinny girls LOVE too eat!! Lol
Chrissy glad you found your way here. Cindy and I are now going and will definitely bring something to the party.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I smoked a 15 pound ham for a family reunion and thought I would share a preview of what I will be bringing to Bimini. I plan to bring two presmoked 20 pounders.

This is the USDA approved packaging that it will be transported in.

image.jpg

This is the locally produced fully cured product.

image.jpg

This is what 24 hours of hickory smoking does to it

image.jpg

And this is the final testing

image.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I wish I could find an uncooked ham to smoke on the egg...they are special order only around here and that is just during holiday periods.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce the pulled pork looks delicious, looking forward to enjoying some in Bimini.

For the Bimini BBQ Beach Bash we will bring blue cheese coleslaw, South Carolina produced mustard bbq sauce and of course we will also bring a variety of flavors of moonshine :woot:. We are open to helping out/bringing more items if needed. Maybe each boat could bring their own plates, cup, and utensils.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wish I could find an uncooked ham to smoke on the egg...they are special order only around here and that is just during holiday periods.
Mel, I am not sure you really want a raw uncured ham. It will start off with the texture of a pork chop with less flavor. The curing process takes weeks to months.

If you do want one then the best source is going to be a wild hog hunter or a local butcher shop. A butcher shop near me was selling pork from FFA hogs recently. Alternately, Sysco is a huge distributor of wholesale food products. They offer a two pack of raw hams. Most butcher shops and restaurants will order from them. Most small butcher shops would be happy to source a raw ham for you. I know mine is.

I once bought a raw ham. Even after several days of smoking and trying to inject brine I was not happy with the flavor.

I like to buy smoke cured hams. They have hung in a smoke house at a low temperature until cured by the smoke instead of being injected with brine. Then I rub seasoning on the outside and smoke them for another 24 hours around 200 degrees. The warmer smoke for 24 hours turns them into a pulled pork consistency, cooks out much of the fat, enhances the flavor and leaves them nice and juicy. You can see in the pictures above that bones that were fully covered before smoking are now exposed.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Good info @Bruce , maybe that is why I can't find an uncooked ham! It wasn't making sense to me to "smoke" a smoked ham. Pulled pork from a butt was new to me too, until I got the egg and read about them. I am very new to the "smoker" game and glad for any info I get that is learned experience. I will have to get a nice fully cured ham and smoke that puppy then! Should have done that for today. I thought I was flying, but home sick so I could have done it for Mother's Day. That ham looks awesome! I love a good ham sandwich with pull apart ham. It sounds funny, but a well smoked ham or pulled pork butt, to me, tastes as good stand alone as it does with any sauce or mustard on it. It has the best flavor. When we did the 3 pork butts we have done, we reheat them in a ziplock to 200 degrees in water in a pan on the gas stove. It comes back to the original moisture and consistency it had when after cooking. I have added my finishing sauces to it to get moisture back in it, and have done it dry...both fine, but I like the natural flavor and moisture best. Thanks for sharing that...I wish we were going to be on the island with you guys!