• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Divorce is a b*tch...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have my divorce paper framed and hanging in my living room divorces are expensive but they are definitely wort it Just learn from your mistakes and don't do it again current girl friend has been here 12 years .

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What's up with SN?#Jeep7797
The ex got to keep the unlimited

I ended up buying a TJ from neighbor and know have Gladiator

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used to have a tj, it was a 97. Little 4 banger but I mildly built it and it off roaded amazingly. Ended up selling it to a buddy because he said he'd appreciate it and let me know if he ever wanted to sell it. Guess what got traded for a RZR about 6 months after selling it to him lol.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you much for the info.
I’ve been a non practicing attorney for over 20 years but I was an intern for a family law attorney in my third year of law school and Am Jured (nationally ranked) in community property law as well. That said, I think a lot of advice above is spot on. That is, you may think it’s cheaper to keep her now but you won’t feel that way if your still paying spousal support for two or more years after the divorce (technically dissolution) is over. It will burn even more if she gets some of your retirement funds.

If I was you, I would let her have the boat and anything acquired during the marriage, short of my 401k/403b, etc. in exchange for waiver of all potential future claims. The boat would only bring me bad feelings so losing it wouldn’t hurt much, if you lose it to her you can offset some of your debt to her plus you can buy a better boat in the future that she has no claim on and nothing to do with.

when I was an intern my mentor was charging $400 per hour back in 1996/1997 and I saw a lot of people going to court just to accrue legal expenses that their soon to be ex spouse would have to pay. I also saw many people going to court to have custody revised even though there was almost no chance of that happening. The judge that I interned for knew the family law attorney and reminded me that family law brings out the worst in the best people.

get out as fast as you can, it will be cheaper in the long run and you will be happier sooner. Be thankful that this didn’t happen later and in CA (after 10 years the family law court retains discretion to award spousal support indefinitely, otherwise the guideline is half the duration of the marriage). Be extra thankful if you don’t have kids with your soon to be ex spouse. Child support, and shared custody are usually long term expenses. I’m not anti kid but when it comes to divorce they are cost centers not revenue centers for both parties involved just more so for the payor spouse, which in your case appears to be you.

good luck

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Spot on!

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SO SO SO glad I'm still single... I feel for you. Sell, Sell, Sell. Get out, don't look back, get new boat, some new 'friend(s)' when ready and start livin' life in the good lane.

Good Luck!

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
That is some cold ass S! Do you know the final disposition? Who paid the fine of $105k plus probably interest?
Nope, but what a creative way to hit back.
Would be interesting to know how it ended 😂

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live just south of Chicago and have read this numerous times and if I remember correctly, it was in the Chicago sun times. That is definitely some creative thinking! As much as I'd like to, I still stand firmly on saying I don't want to prosper from this, only get what's mine. I stand to lose about 60k appx and we were married just over 4 years with no children. Virtually all of these assets I stand to lose are from the sale of my premarital house and since I was never added onto her house, I'm entitled to zero even though I gutted and remodeled her house. Btw, she bought it 4 days after we met so it wasn't like it was from years before we met.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having practiced law for 35 years, believe me many attorney's especially domestic law are professional billers. I don't practice domestic, but have warned many of my friends to be very very careful because these folks are billing machines. A little inside info for example....."2.5 hours to prepare Interrogatories" The truth? The interrogatories are canned documents. The law clerk copies and pastes the interrogatories from another case and just changes the names of the parties, the case number and court, and dates. Takes about 20 minutes but bill it out at 2 to three hours. Letters? Same way. All the same standard BS in the letters, and then bill out 75 minutes on something that took 3 minutes to copy, paste, change names. If you actually think this stuff is crafted specifically for your case you are sadly mistaken. Most of them take a class at their firm when they start on how to bill hours. I am not kidding. IMO it is disgusting which is why I only work on contingency cases. If you don't get paid? I don't get paid. And even then, I feel bad sometimes about how much the fee is in relation to the work done, so I discount things dramatically quite often because 1) I can afford to and 2) what goes around comes around when you treat people fairly that's why my phone rings off the hook. Bottom line just get out of the mess as quick as possible. You will be bent over. Accept it and when it is done, you will be a very happy man. So many of my friend's (divorce lawyer) client's told him when it was all done and they were living in some crappy basement apartment somewhere after being hosed by the B**tch, it didn't matter. To a man they all said they were so, so , so ,so happy living in someone's basement and free of the ogre. Be forewarned - you escaped. Do not ever get married again!

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Guess I got lucky, I'm also going thru a divorce. She didn't want anything, but I gave her 10K to go get an apartment so she wouldn't have to worry.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Guess I got lucky, I'm also going thru a divorce. She didn't want anything, but I gave her 10K to go get an apartment so she wouldn't have to worry.
Get it writing (marital settlement agreement) and have her sign it in front of a notary if possible. A lot can change between separation and dissolution.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The best deal you are going to get is to end the divorce quickly, keep her out of any retirement funds you may have. Otherwise the, ummm ahhhem, attorneys are just going to eat up your money. I’ve been through this a few times with guys I know… in the end it is best to just say okay bitch, here you go, give her what she wants and have her sign off that she will never come back on anything in the future, also might be a good idea to have a shrink evaluate her and say she is within her wits and is not depressed blah blah blah… seen that happen before too. Those guys who didn’t follow my advice had the ummmm women got into their retirement funds.
This is x 100

@Jeep7797 I am guessing that you're in mediation at the moment and not in court. It is best to settle quickly in mediation. Laying down in mediation no. Hell, I walked out of my mediation and said see you in court. She wanted more in monthly alimony payments than I made. But, yes settle as quick as possible because the only ones getting rich are the lawyers.

@Ronnie is on the case.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I got married we had party after seramony think they call ir reception. Thought it was stupid just wanted to leave with wife and go to honeymoon.

Several yrs. Later after leaving judges chambers and being officially divorced I was by myself alone in the car thinking this is the time for that party. We have it all wrong. Parties should be held after divorces not marriages.

Hold in there it will get better.

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wish it was as easy as mediation, nope. Straight to court haha. I asked and offered but her attorney has her seeing dollar signs so my guess is she sees no need for that. It's now up to me to have to PROVE what she isn't entitled to. The fact is, it's impossible to go thru every credit card transaction and decipher what is what. Literally all of the money we had was what I brought into the marriage but the judge says since my dumb ass deposited it into our joint account, she gets half. I was never added onto her house so guess what? None for me... she was having money deposited into 2 accounts from her paycheck that I didn't know about from day 1 and that's one of the only things that's helping me out. It's about 25k she did that for over 4 years but HER attorney is arguing that's her and only her accounts. Thankfully the judge sees it different. She tried going after half the equity I have on my truck even but can only get half of the additional principal, not the rest. It's a morally messed up situation but the law sides with her on most things. I could never ask for something that isn't mine but she and her attorney has no issues with it. The judge actually told my attorney he feels bad for me but his hands are tied with what he legally has to grant. Just to restate here, 4 year marriage, no kids, no debt, no joint anything but a $6000 boat haha.