• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine overheats on hose

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Ian M
Posted on behalf of Ian M
Hi Guys
I’ve recently got this boat and when flushing the starboard motor it overheated , as soon as the alarm went off I took out the water hose and turned off the engine. The overheat alarm stopped shortly afterwards. Anyone have any thoughts on why this would happen, maybe not enough water pressure in the hose ? Or your thoughts would be most appreciated ?
kind thanks

From what I have read; If water is coming out of the pisser then you should have enough water.
I connect to a fairly high-pressure line at my house, so I usually only open the valve part way. I still have a good stream and tons of water coming out the back of the jets.

Cooling system is clogged somewhere. I have had the best results looking for overheating, using a infra red thermometer taking readings near the exhaust manifolds while running on the hose. Any temps approaching 200F should have your attention. Might just be temporary. If you can run it on the water at higher rpms without overheating that would be a good way to remove the blockage. Also, check the thermostat for blockage.

For me it took at least 65-70 psi at the spigot to not throw an overheat. Most homes have their regulators much lower. If it doesn’t overheat on the water but overheats on the hose then low water pressure at the house is likely the culprit. If it threw an overheat and then stopped the alarm you may have just had some junk clogging the cooling system intake screen located near the pump nozzle(s).

You best tool for diagnosis hear is what WREKS suggest a digital temp gun.............temp the engine block at the exhaust ports and the water exiting the thermostat port at the jet drives under the deck it a small plastic and the larger exhaust port will be spiting water also should see a little steam from these ports...................mine were 140 degrees for the therm exit and 135 for the larger exhaust port...........this match within a degree or 2 of the other engine.

Temp your(non) alarm engine first and use that as a guide for the one sounding the alarm. Also you should see water flow(at both these ports under deck and the pisser) should be about the same rate coming from both engines.........if flow is lower at one engine then temp should be higher......... blockage or thermostat is going to be you issue. If flow is the same and temps are vary close the sensor is the suspect.

hope this helps a little.

Last edited:
You best tool for diagnosis hear is what WREKS suggest a digital temp gun.............temp the engine block at the exhaust ports and the water exiting the thermostat port at the jet drives under the deck it a small plastic and the larger exhaust port will be spiting water also should see a little steam from these ports...................mine were 140 degrees for the therm exit and 135 for the larger exhaust port...........this match within a degree or 2 of the other engine.

Temp your(non) alarm engine first and use that as a guide for the one sounding the alarm.

Sage advice!

Opps for got to add if flow is down the red tubes that come from the hose plugins sometimes can get kinked............somone out hear had that problem on an overheat.

Mine overheats almost every time on the hose.. but runs fine on the water… if that’s the same as me.. my guess is low water pressure.

Mine overheats almost every time on the hose.. but runs fine on the water… if that’s the same as me.. my guess is low water pressure.

I have had a similar experience with my ski. My driveway has a 4% incline and at times the warning light will come on while on the hose.
I would make atrip on my local ramp on a quotient day sip it and start on the trailer. Confirm that you have water off the piasers and chil for while. Then take her on no wake and close to the ramp . Hopefully after 10 minutes of feeling like a fool you park the truck and go for WOT test …..

From what I have read; If water is coming out of the pisser then you should have enough water.
I connect to a fairly high-pressure line at my house, so I usually only open the valve part way. I still have a good stream and tons of water coming out the back of the jets.
Hi , Thanks for the advice and video, so water is coming out the exhaust but not the pisser ? I had changed batteries and saw there is water at the back channel in that compartment and also at the passenger seat deck level. Just could not locate a loose or disconnected pipe ?

Cooling system is clogged somewhere. I have had the best results looking for overheating, using a infra red thermometer taking readings near the exhaust manifolds while running on the hose. Any temps approaching 200F should have your attention. Might just be temporary. If you can run it on the water at higher rpms without overheating that would be a good way to remove the blockage. Also, check the thermostat for blockage.
Thanks Wreks, the boat goes fine out on the water and then flows well out of the pissers. It’s only when I try flush that no water comes out pissers. I’m quite convinced that there’s a loose/ leaking pipe on the hose but I can’t find the location ? Looked in the battery compartment and there’s water at the back channel but just cannot see the leak ?

Thanks for the advice, I thought that may be the issue so I connected to 3/4” hose to increase volume but still no water out of the pissers, does come out the exhaust though.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, this platform is so helpful ! I think the problem may be low pressure on the tapwater even though I have changed to 3/4” hose to increase volume and pressure or there is a leak/ kinked or disconnected hose in the system somewhere that I just cannot locate ? When flushing water comes out the jets/ exhausts but not the pissers. On the water the boat runs perfect, im
just worried it’s not flushing the salt water out of the cooling system.

Most likely you have low pressure on the hose. Aside from bigger hose, kinks etc is your boat level or some odd incline when you try to flush ?

My starboard engine does the same thing. Dealer replacing the hose assembly on warranty. Said it was defective. They said over a month to get part but no issues on water.

“ Ordered parts to correct bad valve in water intake hose for flushing adapter”. Is on my repair order.

My 275 did the same thing. It's my water pressure at the house.

Hopefully, low pressure is the answer. My 200 pound MR-1s need little water to flush, but the 300 pound 1.8s need quite a bit more. That makes sense. I'm just guessing on what they weigh.

Most likely you have low pressure on the hose. Aside from bigger hose, kinks etc is your boat level or some odd incline when you try to flush ?
Thx Betik, yes the boat is level . Water is leaking into the battery compartment at the stern Portside and at the passenger seat deck , that’s why I think it may be a pipe leak ?

My boat is not level.. maybe that might be the reason.. because the one time I didn’t have the overheat warning was because I made sure it was a level as possible for an oil change.. idk.. but that is a difference from then and now.. I have not leveled it to run on hose . Ehh.. it runs great on the water … so I figured it was low pressure…

Back