• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First day with Cobra Jet fins

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I’m thinking about making the switch from the TV’s. What are your thoughts on the Fangs vs. no fangs?
My thoughts when I bought them was.....its not much more money, and the theory of how they work makes sense....so I bought them! I've not tested reversing with them....I doubt they will make a huge difference, but any help is....helpful!

I'm still amazed at how much better my straight line tracking is now! I'm a total convert (AGAIN) - you'd think I would have learned the first time - but I figured a keel and rudder would be enough..... FINS HELP A TON!!!! I should have done a before and after video. I was going to try and do this with an identical boat in Bimini but I'm not going now. What I want to do is put up the drone and have both boat turn while in no wake and show which one turns faster. Then also video straight line tracking input requirements (how much steering wheel input needed to track on course).

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I feel it does better with weight in the back when I keep bow up.
I'm going to assume you mostly boat in the Gulf? Same theory would apply on a freshwater lake?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
My thoughts when I bought them was.....its not much more money, and the theory of how they work makes sense....so I bought them! I've not tested reversing with them....I doubt they will make a huge difference, but any help is....helpful!

I'm still amazed at how much better my straight line tracking is now! I'm a total convert (AGAIN) - you'd think I would have learned the first time - but I figured a keel and rudder would be enough..... FINS HELP A TON!!!! I should have done a before and after video. I was going to try and do this with an identical boat in Bimini but I'm not going now. What I want to do is put up the drone and have both boat turn while in no wake and show which one turns faster. Then also video straight line tracking input requirements (how much steering wheel input needed to track on course).
How about steering effort? Did that improve? My boat is harder to turn left than right for some reason.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'm going to assume you mostly boat in the Gulf? Same theory would apply on a freshwater lake?
Mostly the ICW but it can get brutal on busy weekends. Keeping the nose high keeps the ride as smooth as possible. I've had 6 people in the front with no one in the back, besides me driving and it feels flat out dangerous.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How about steering effort? Did that improve? My boat is harder to turn left than right for some reason.
Not noticed any difference in steering effort - never had an issue - well - I've always noticed that Yamaha jet boats are more work to turn than I/Os and OBs.....but I'm used to if after 18 years.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We just went out this weekend with the addition of our new Cobras, took off the TV's,. There was a huge difference in the 2 products and with the added steering rod the turning is MUCH easier. Our Surf wave was improved and the spray from our old Tv's were gone. I have to say this was a nice upgrade.
Did you remove the Surfpoint toe in and straighten both nozzles and get a better wake? As I understood it Cobra's required straightening out the nozzles and resulted in quicker blow out of your wake. Maybe that's just with the booster and not the wedge. Insights would be great, always open to learning from others.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Remember there are mega fang plus setups for the 2019 and prior nozzles and there are the single AK fangs for the 2015 through 2018 nozzles to help with reverse handling and a mild power steering effect.. Then the 2019 and newer nozzles have the reverse all redone so you really do not need assistance there I actually have different fins for the new reverse setup. however the AK fangs are still there to direct the back of the boat in turns as well as keep the steering input down at speed because they go forward of the pivot point and coupled with my super fins they make steering at plaining speeds easy to do with no harsh feedback in the wheel. I even have a new design with a longer redesigned fang for more power steering effect. similar to the latest mega fang plus . and I have them for the 19 foot keel models up to the year 2018.

Attachments

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did you remove the Surfpoint toe in and straighten both nozzles and get a better wake? As I understood it Cobra's required straightening out the nozzles and resulted in quicker blow out of your wake. Maybe that's just with the booster and not the wedge. Insights would be great, always open to learning from others.
My boat was a year before surf point so we didn't have to mess with that.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Do you feel your boat handles better with more weight in the front ( Keeps the bow down) ?
What's your definition of "handle better?" More planted through chop, you bet. Light and nimble, nope - better to have that weight in the back.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welp! I've gone and done it... Super Magnum AK Deluxe with AK Fangs.

Looking forward to feeling the changes and seeing my wife's eyes roll when they show up. 🙄 lol!

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Looking forward to feeling the changes and seeing my wife's eyes roll when they show up. 🙄 lol!
Glad to be a part of you making that purchase. Following the "in" crowd huh Jared ? 😂😂

She will end up being happy ! I should upload the videos of Jerry driving with no hands over another boats wake. Boat stays tracking straight through rough chop. Definitely one our well worth it boat purchases ! Changing the steering was an eye opener on the differences between the two.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
https://jetboaters.net/threads/cobra-fins-on-our-18-242x-and-new-top-speed.22744/ I recommend getting rid of the surf point on all the boats that have it, Because to get a surf wave you need ballast mostly and you can use the boat without the ballast when you are not surfing also wake making devices are helpful with the ballast but having your propulsion system all screwed up is not a good idea in my book. If people wanted to use the surf point and my steering they would need to adjust the steering so that it only works at slow speeds, meaning having the fins set up so the bottom of the fin is even with the bottom of the nozzle and then you still get all the influence when the boat is off plane you just give up the high speed portion of it , the part that is set below the nozzle is what creates the high speed assistance.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Glad to be a part of you making that purchase. Following the "in" crowd huh Jared ? 😂😂

She will end up being happy ! I should upload the videos of Jerry driving with no hands over another boats wake. Boat stays tracking straight through rough chop. Definitely one our well worth it boat purchases ! Changing the steering was an eye opener on the differences between the two.

Well I can put her name on the package and you can tell her you purchased it for her so she can do what the other admirals do and show off at the dock loading the trailer and a lot more. remember the super fins automatically adjust their influence with the position of the boat. And you get to decide the level of high speed influence when you set the fin levels. the only part of the fins in the water are the portions under the nozzle, all the rest of the fins and the top fins are only in the water when you come down off plane because you need more influence for that, I also avoid the FULCRUM effect by keeping my fins close to the boat because the further away they go the more of a fulcrum effect they create on the person turning the wheel and adding the fangs makes turning the wheel at speed even more comfortable. And as always NO PLASATIC PARTS NO bars between the fins below the nozzle to create water spray and now plaining surfaces for faster hole shot smoother ride and a cleaner wake for watersport activities on the deluxe versions. Oh and as always the patented second tie rod for balance on the twin engine AK models without increasing the draft of the boat

Attachments

Last edited:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I can only aspire to ascend to "in" status. 😉 I imagine her eyes will eyes will roll back into the front of her face once she experiences the difference.

Thanks Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC, let's not give her to much ownership. I would like to have a turn driving the boat from time to time... 😅

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
not going to happen just order a really comfortable passenger seat for yourself

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can only aspire to ascend to "in" status. 😉 I imagine her eyes will eyes will roll back into the front of her face once she experiences the difference.

Thanks Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC, let's not give her to much ownership. I would like to have a turn driving the boat from time to time... 😅
Didn't know we made it too " in " status either...LOL You will love them and so will your wife!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have to admit that I ordered my upgrade (from a previous generation cobra fins) last night, as well.

Actually, got the invoice last night. Paid it as I was getting ready this morning. And, received the shipping notice / tracking number before lunch today

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Well I can put her name on the package and you can tell her you purchased it for her so she can do what the other admirals do and show off at the dock loading the trailer and a lot more. remember the super fins automatically adjust their influence with the position of the boat. And you get to decide the level of high speed influence when you set the fin levels. the only part of the fins in the water are the portions under the nozzle, all the rest of the fins and the top fins are only in the water when you come down off plane because you need more influence for that, I also avoid the FULCRUM effect by keeping my fins close to the boat because the further away they go the more of a fulcrum effect they create on the person turning the wheel and adding the fangs makes turning the wheel at speed even more comfortable. And as always NO PLASATIC PARTS NO bars between the fins below the nozzle to create water spray and now plaining surfaces for faster hole shot smoother ride and a cleaner wake for watersport activities on the deluxe versions. Oh and as always the patented second tie rod for balance on the twin engine AK models without increasing the draft of the boat
Jeff, do you require straightening out Surfpoint for your system to work?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jeff, do you require straightening out Surfpoint for your system to work?
Yes, the system will require straightening out surf point. But don't feel bad, Surfpoint was kind of a gimmick anyway. Your boat steers better without it and the effect on the wave was negligible.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you want full time steering enhancement then yes you need to reset your nozzles and eliminate surf point since my systems are high performance in the full time mode even off power steering, but if you only want slow speed steering assistance like for docking you can keep the surf point as the fins are capable of being set to provide slow speed only or full time determined by where you set the fins. With the nozzles, fins and rudder in proper alignment you should see improved top speed, better handling and improved fuel economy.