• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Forced Logo Merchandise

Keep or remove dealer naming, sticker, license plate frame, etc?

• Keep, I forget they are there (or a really like those people)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remove, it’s the first “mod” everytime

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t want to pollute the welcome thread, so here we go….

First thing that comes off any new car for me is dealer sticker and license plate frame. If they ain’t paying me, I’m not advertising for them. I’ve only made two exceptions for that. @biffdotorg the sticker you describe is utterly ridiculous. I can’t believe a dealer is so ballsy.

These covers with screened dealer logos are even worse, especially if you have no choice. It’s like being forced to wear clothing with a logo. “I’m paying full retail, $600+ for a cover, and your putting your logo on it?” Anything like this should be included at no charge with the sale (and I’m sure some are). Gotta get something for the $3k dealer prep.

This topic came up once before, and your photo reminded me. Do dealers give a discount on the Yamaha mooring cover when they have their logo screen printed on them? They should.

Of course, I'm the guy that peeled the dealers 2ft wide name off the back window of my wife's new SUV before we drove off the lot. I'm the petty jerk that asked how much discount we get for that advertisement, otherwise it's not leaving the lot that way. Of course they refused any discount, or to take it off. So my thumbnail scraper took it off and I disposed of it during closing.

It was nice when the dealer put a nice small emblem on cars and boats.

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Agreed, 1,000%. Before I take delivery on a car, I ask them to remove all the stickers and branding. If I paid retail for a Yamaha cover and it had a dealer logo on it, I'd reject it and wait for an OEM one unless it came with a 50% discount.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Agree....but we are probably the minority....so lets say half the buyers are like us....they get free advertising from the other half!

Would be interesting to add a poll to this to see how many people remove those dealer stickers and license frames.... (I can add that if you cannot edit it)

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
While I was happy with how my dealer treated me, the cost of the boat and accessories (fish finder & trolling motor) was full price and zero discount on any items like life jackets, fenders, anchors etc…. And I had to pay them to have the boat towed by their driver to the first exit inside SD so I wouldn‘t have to pay MN state sales tax. For that last bit I was still $2976 ahead, 3% vs. 7.8%. So, as soon as I got the boat home that dealer sticker in the middle of the transom came off. Had there been a cool guy discount along the way the sticker may have stayed for a while. I get it, it’s business, but as others have said I’m not advertising for someone for free, so the dealer needs to get it as well.

On the flip side, when I bought my truck not only did the dealer give me almost top retail on my trade in, my fleet salesman followed up regularly after the sale to check on how happy I was with the truck. I have never experienced such excellent customer service in my life as I did with my truck purchase. Their modest dealer sticker has remained on the tailgate since my purchase.

It always make me wonder when I see people with the giant Nike symbol on the rear window of their beater car or even nicer cars, and of course it’s not just Nike it’s all kinds of things, like political candidates stickers on cars years after an election..just baffling.

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The logo on the boat cover these days is now advertising which dealers actually have covers! (smile)

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nothing is forced, you always have a choice. If I had it to do over again I would have had a cover custom made, not because of the Yamaha logo but better material and design. I also only remove car stuff if it looks like crap. I've got a list of stuff to worry about and this really hasn't made it.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It started with dealer logos, not manufacturer. I updated the original post to be more clear.

Closer to your point though, I definitely am not the kind of person that de-badges my vehicle. I think that's weird.

Nothing is forced, you always have a choice. If I had it to do over again I would have had a cover custom made, not because of the Yamaha logo but better material and design. I also only remove car stuff if it looks like crap. I've got a list of stuff to worry about and this really hasn't made it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I go a step further and debadge my cars as much as I can. Some badges (like in the grill) can't be removed without exposing obvious design problems. Others come right off as soon as I get it home.

Before:
1654802288854.png <--Click to make bigger

After:
1654802311916.png <--Click to make bigger

Audi logos have holes behind them, so they get to stay. Same with the grill emblem, and the "Quattro" embossed in the side trim pieces. Otherwise it's "fully naked".....I also get the irony in paying more to advertise on the plate after taking all the badges off. Gotta have a plate, might as well make it something I like right?!?!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
God, I must be getting old. I remember when many dealer badges were actually drilled and bolted to the car! :D

Jim

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It started with dealer logos, not manufacturer. I updated the original post to be more clear.

Closer to your point though, I definitely am not the kind of person that de-badges my vehicle. I think that's weird.
I knew what you meant. Some dealer logos on cars are hideous.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
God, I must be getting old. I remember when many dealer badges were actually drilled and bolted to the car! :D

Jim
But back in those days, dealers many times chrome plated them to match OEM badging as well. They put some time into it. Then cut vinyl stickers were cheaper and easier. Then they just got obnoxious and huge to the point that you had a window banner in back. That's just unnacceptable.

But yes, I remember our local chevy and ford dealers nearly matched factory badging.