• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ford Truck says trailer disconnected

Andy88

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2017 Ford F-150 and a Yamaha AR210 with a shoreland’r trailer. I trailed the boat for first time since last summer and mid way through the drive home the truck dash said trailer disconnected. I pulled over and everything looked fine outside. I got home and tried to back boat into driveway and the back two tires on trailer locked up and started skidding. I pulled forward and parked it. All wheels were good in drive. Tried later and it said trailer connected and I backed it in fine. Is this a trailer issue? Truck issue? Anybody have something similar happen to them?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check your wiring harness connection and pins inside the connector. Sounds like it was loose on the ride home, so maybe you didn’t push it in real good and it vibrated loose on the road. If the harness is not connected the brakes will not release when backing up. That is why there is a backup key way to use in the trailer near the surge brake tongue.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
put a bunch of dielectric grease on the connector

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 2017 Ford F-150 and a Yamaha AR210 with a shoreland’r trailer. I trailed the boat for first time since last summer and mid way through the drive home the truck dash said trailer disconnected. I pulled over and everything looked fine outside. I got home and tried to back boat into driveway and the back two tires on trailer locked up and started skidding. I pulled forward and parked it. All wheels were good in drive. Tried later and it said trailer connected and I backed it in fine. Is this a trailer issue? Truck issue? Anybody have something similar happen to them?
Clean both connectors. There is a multi tool you can buy that is made for cleaning these plugs. Be careful when you do the truck side as the charging or always hot pin could short and blow the fuse, check with a test light before starting.

I have a problem with mine on occasion, I will get a message on the dash that says left turn signal lights on trailer malfunction. I unplug it and plug it back in and it works fine. I’m pretty sure there is something going on with the trailer plug.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have cleaned off the hitch with a grinding wheel where the S hook connects from the break away cable and it solved these problems.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Andy88 absolutely due to your wiring harness. The inability to reverse is because the trailer was getting no signal from the tow vehicle that the reverse lights were on - which means, very simply, that the connection to the vehicle reverse lights wasn't good. As others have said, clean the wiring harness and put dielectric grease on it. Make sure the connectors are clean on a regular basis and apply more grease.

@Chip F. it was pure coincidence that you cleaned the hooks and break away cable.....OR, you also cleaned the wiring harness too - that is the root issue (wiring harness)

proplessdancer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Clean both connectors. There is a multi tool you can buy that is made for cleaning these plugs. Be careful when you do the truck side as the charging or always hot pin could short and blow the fuse, check with a test light before starting.

I have a problem with mine on occasion, I will get a message on the dash that says left turn signal lights on trailer malfunction. I unplug it and plug it back in and it works fine. I’m pretty sure there is something going on with the trailer plug.
I have this same issue with another trailer only its the right signal. After replacing light 3 times and the intermittent issue I plan on replacing the plug on trailer side.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Andy88 absolutely due to your wiring harness. The inability to reverse is because the trailer was getting no signal from the tow vehicle that the reverse lights were on - which means, very simply, that the connection to the vehicle reverse lights wasn't good. As others have said, clean the wiring harness and put dielectric grease on it. Make sure the connectors are clean on a regular basis and apply more grease.

@Chip F. it was pure coincidence that you cleaned the hooks and break away cable.....OR, you also cleaned the wiring harness too - that is the root issue (wiring harness)
Or maybe a problem with the ground

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Or maybe a problem with the ground
Highly unlikely given the surface area of a trailer's hookup, but easy enough to trouble shoot - if any of the lights come on, it isn't the ground (turn signals, break lights, running lights). If they do, its not a ground problem from the trailer connection - could be a ground problem to the reverse solenoid - but I'd put money on the plug over that every time.

gmac03

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guy I bought the boat from at the Marina said if this happens it’s due to a disconnect between the wire harness and the car due to an older setup on the car. He recommends popping in the surge brake plug so they don’t activate when reversing because the wiring harness isn’t receiving the appropriate signal to deactivate. 🤷‍♂️

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Guy I bought the boat from at the Marina said if this happens it’s due to a disconnect between the wire harness and the car due to an older setup on the car. He recommends popping in the surge brake plug so they don’t activate when reversing because the wiring harness isn’t receiving the appropriate signal to deactivate. 🤷‍♂️
The signal is the backup lights, if memory serves it’s the yellow wire in traditional 7 pin wiring.

Use a test light and verify you have the back up lights. Underneath the flip cover on most of the tow vehicle is a legend.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My reverse solenoid/wiring has never worked. I gave up on it long ago. Now I just use a magnetic D key to disable the surge break. In a pinch you can tape a nickel in the back half of either slot to accomplish the same thing. The down sides are I sometimes have to put a chalk in front of the trailer tire to disengage the surge brakes after towing and I have to remember to remove the key before hitting the road.
15055CA7-A903-4B65-B42E-2BB19DEB9396.png

Affinity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Question: Is it bad to leave my shorelandr' trailer connected to my truck wire harness? Can it drain the truck battery? I got a new 2022 195s 7 days ago. the trailer has been hooked to the truck for at least 1/2 the time. can that drain the truck battery? should i unhook the wire when not actually towing?
thanks,

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Question: Is it bad to leave my shorelandr' trailer connected to my truck wire harness? Can it drain the truck battery? I got a new 2022 195s 7 days ago. the trailer has been hooked to the truck for at least 1/2 the time. can that drain the truck battery? should i unhook the wire when not actually towing?
thanks,
No.

The fords hot wire to the trailer wiring harness is part of the accessory on only when the ignition is on.