• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel additives ...

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
whats everyones favorite cocktail to make our engines purr even better ... Marvel , lucas , stp ? ..... I use a half of bottle of marvel on fresh new tank its suppose to lubricate all fuel system components and pump , as well as clean injectors and combustion chamber

This is what I use..

I use the Yamaha Additive with my tanks of gas and for long term storage use the STA-BIL 360 Marine only.

whats everyones favorite cocktail to make our engines purr even better ... Marvel , lucas , stp ? ..... I use a half of bottle of marvel on fresh new tank its suppose to lubricate all fuel system components and pump , as well as clean injectors and combustion chamber
Top tier fuel does not need any extra additives...fuel injected engines are designed to run optimally with pump fuel. Most of the additives are gimmicks and hype to sell stuff you don't need. Just like over the counter cold medication - they don't really do anything except give very short relief of some symptoms, but the pharma companies make a killing from it as it takes pennies to make the junk and they charge dollars to sell it.
:D
The only thing you really need is fuel stabilizer if you winter for months with ethanol gas.

Premium grade gasoline in the summer and Seafoam in winter. That’s it ?

Unfortunately there is not always a non-ethanol option available from “top tier” sellers in all areas. There are no name brand providers in my area that carry non-ethanol, and only a few unbranded stores, all of which only have 87 octane NE (a reason why the 195 was not an option for me). Some may not care or they may run enough gas through during the season to not want/need non-ethanol, but I avoid ethanol gas when I can.

Sta-bil hear in FL all year long........use boat every week then she will set for 2 month of non use. Sta-bil helps fuel for the longer periods of non use but not long enough to do a WINTERIZE .............that's a word we don't use in FL.

I also use NON ethanol fuel

Sta-bil Marine 360 in every tank.

This is a great video that demonstrates the negative effects of Ethanol fuel in boats. This validates my belief that adding an additive everytime I fillup is a good thing.

If you're using your motor enough, no additives needed, just run pump 87 (on NA engines). Long term storage, 93 no corn + sea foam.

@RobbieO that video has at least one inaccuracy: it says car fuel tanks aren't vented (not true). Then when he put the fan over the jars I rolled my eyes and stopped watching. How much air movement will you see down a tube that is 6 feet long and perhaps 1/2 inch wide (outside diameter).

I agree with @anmut - use stabil if your boat will sit with ethanol in it for months at a time with no use (or very little use). Otherwise don't waste your money on additives. (Julian's opinion - clearly others have differing opinions - I spend that money on BEER).

@RobbieO that video has at least one inaccuracy: it says car fuel tanks aren't vented (not true). Then when he put the fan over the jars I rolled my eyes and stopped watching. How much air movement will you see down a tube that is 6 feet long and perhaps 1/2 inch wide (outside diameter).

I agree with @anmut - use stabil if your boat will sit with ethanol in it for months at a time with no use (or very little use). Otherwise don't waste your money on additives. (Julian's opinion - clearly others have differing opinions - I spend that money on BEER).
That is incorrect. Fuel tank vapors are stored in a charcoal fuel canister and then purged into the engine intake system. All newer vehicles have a built-in EVAP tests that checks the system for leaks, to ensure no vapors are being vented to the atmosphere. If you have a 55' Chevy, then yes, the fuel system is vented to the atmosphere. lol

Anyone ever drain their tank or try to get the water out of it if there is any?

And just like those cars our newer boats have item #16 on them (my 2016 does-don't know what year they began putting them in). It is not like you are having air flow over your gas!

My point is that his demonstration is hogwash. There is no flow of air over the gasoline in your boat! In fact, if he was honest (or smart- or both), he would have pointed out that gasoline evaporates and creates pressure in your tank ALL THE TIME, this evaporation is actually pushing the vapors OUT of your tank all the time. The ONLY time vapor ever gets pulled in is when the vapor creation is slower than the reducing temperature drop of the liquid (going into winter). This is why you leave your tank FULL for the winter, so there is less air volume in the tank to pull in and out. But of course he doesn't mention this (at least before I gave up on his bs). So no, I didn't like the video, and I disagree with his theories. Does ethanol absorb water...yes. Is it a serious risk for our boats - yes - only after long (typically cold) storage periods when you have air pulled into the tank due to contraction of the gas volume. Otherwise....keep on boating and use whatever gas your boat specs (which for mine is 87 octane - ethanol or not).

The other untruth he says is that the only reason we are using ethanol is for emissions reasons. Not true (except to a degree in ONE state - California). The gas suppliers are using ethanol for 2 reasons - 1 because of the RFS law (Renewable Fuel Standard) and 2- it is the cheapest way to get the octane amounts needed - and the fact is, #2 (the MONEY) is the real answer! Ethanol is now so cheap it is by far the cheapest way to raise the octane level of gas. Has zero to do with RFS anymore (RFS was the trigger to the creation of mass ethanol production) and all to do with money.
1623258989316.png

Automotive gas tanks are vented, but only one way, and that is into the tank. That is why your gas cap is tested as part of a smog test on your vehicle. If the gas tank in a modern vehicle does not have positive pressure, a check engine light will come on on the dash. Our boats are different, they can vent either in our out, but the vapors must pass through a charcoal canister to reduce the amount of photo-reactive smog stuff.

True the RFS was the original idea behind ethanol lacing of fuel, and it is a lot cheaper than MTBE which was a true oxygenator that had the same BTU’s per gallon, as opposed to ethanol’s 44,000 btu’s which is less than half of gasoline’s 95,000 btu’s. Also true that it is an easy way to increase octane.

But the only reason ethanol is cheaper is due to the ridiculous amount of tax payer funded subsidies, can you say wag the dog?

As I said in another post, ethanol requires 1.3 units of energy in for every 1 unit of energy out. And the emissions part, that is equally as laughable, until 2019 the amount of ethanol was reduced in summer time gasoline due to higher NOx emissions, which is why the label on the gas pumps says “up to 10%” ethanol added.

You guys all know that all gasoline is basically the same octane when produced, and octane boosting additives as well as things like Techron are added when the tanker trucks are getting filled?

Back on topic..

I run the Amsoil upper cylinder lubricant during the boating season, with the occasional dosing of a detergent to help keep things clean. When it comes to store the boat for a few months, I add the Amsoil fuel stabilizer at a full fill up before the last outing of the year and go use the boat again to make sure it is all mixed well and that it is all through the fuel system.

So I took my 2020 AR240 and got in t winterized. They asked me about adding a fule stabilizer, i told them no, i would add it at home since they charge $30. When I picked the boat up i got to reading on the Yamaha fuel stabilizer to "run engines a few minutes after adding to fuel. Did I just screw myself? I know I can add Stabil to any gas but should I have added Stabil before I dropped the boat off to have it winterized? Thanks in advance!

So I took my 2020 AR240 and got in t winterized. They asked me about adding a fule stabilizer, i told them no, i would add it at home since they charge $30. When I picked the boat up i got to reading on the Yamaha fuel stabilizer to "run engines a few minutes after adding to fuel. Did I just screw myself? I know I can add Stabil to any gas but should I have added Stabil before I dropped the boat off to have it winterized? Thanks in advance!

I was wondering the same thing as I just added 48 oz. of fuel stabilizer to my tank before I put it in storage. I already had pulled the batteries out so I decided just to go with that. Then I remembered I run stabilizer all season so hopefully there are some remnants in the fuel system including the rails and injectors. I'll know in April if that was a bad decision.

Yes you should have added fuel stabilizer well in advance of winter storage, this way the stabilizing agent will have mixed completely in with the fuel and spread throughout the entire fuel system.

Are you running ethanol laced gasoline or non ethanol gasoline?

When you say you had your boat winterized, what was done to the boat?

Back