• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to handle other boaters wake

dv_damian57

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, Im new to boating. My biggest fear was actually the boat ramp. Seen too many issues on youtube, that part had me a little nervous. Well, after being out twice now the biggest issue Im finding its wether I should accelerate or slowdown when a coming boat wake comes towards me. Ive been looking online for videos that explain what the proper process is but I found nothing online to my surprise. Any suggestions or videos?

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have found in my 2018 195 that the sweet spot to go thru wake is in between 25-28mph. Any slower and you just get beat all to hell, well and any faster just isn't very safe. All depends the size of the wake and angle you can hit it as well IMO.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I try to hit such wakes at 90 degrees. how fast depends on how big the wake is, if the water I’m boating in is smooth or rough and how many other boats are in the area. I assume this isn’t the answer you wanted but IMHO there is no single best way to cross another boat’s wake. Whenever I do so without breaking anything or anyone, losing my patience or getting criticized by strangers at the ramp I consider it a victory.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Too many variables to get just one answer. Is the wake big or small, how much room do you have to make maneuvers to take on wake, what speed are you going and a few other questions. The best thing to do is get out there and try different things and find out what works best for you and your crew. Also, one thing to remember is that sometimes your just going to have to take a beating due to unforeseen circumstances.

Michal

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Agree with @Babin Farms, so many variables. My goto at any speed has been 45 degrees, seems to work well on the ICW with much bigger boats in the channel. Practice and see what works best for you.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
So, Im new to boating. My biggest fear was actually the boat ramp. Seen too many issues on youtube, that part had me a little nervous. Well, after being out twice now the biggest issue Im finding its wether I should accelerate or slowdown when a coming boat wake comes towards me. Ive been looking online for videos that explain what the proper process is but I found nothing online to my surprise. Any suggestions or videos?
If you have ever driven a waverunner, is basically the same scenario, except you are much bigger. I like 45 degrees.

dv_damian57

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the plan its going to be the following....

Im going to take my go-pro next time and Ill let you guys see what Im doing and hopefully get some feedback after that as well.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I think the plan its going to be the following....

Im going to take my go-pro next time and Ill let you guys see what Im doing and hopefully get some feedback after that as well.
When I had my Sanger Superjet back in the 70"s, there was only one way. Bury the throttle and learn to fly. That's probably why my back is trash.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
While sailing, I learned to take a wake at 45 degrees. The benefit of doing so is that it puts you in a good place for the second one.

Jim

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree.....45 degrees is the typical recommendation. Speed depends on your willingness to go airborne and hurt yourself, your crew or your boat.

I know of a member who didn't realize the size of the wake they were approaching, slowed down, but not enough, and the result was one broken arm, one spinal compression, and one fractured eye socket (all occupants of the bow).

Slowing down too slow can cause your bow to stuff. So for me the ideal is just below planing speed (15-18mph on my boat). So your bow is as high as you can get it, and you can plow throw the inevitable 2nd wave. If I can see the wakes clearly (like on a lake), I will go faster. On the ocean or busy ICW etc it is often far harder to see the nature of the wave. For example, crossing to Bimini, we often see large container vessels. We KNOW their wakes are approaching, and I slow down to "find" them. Hitting one out of the blue hurts - we never have anyone in the bow while crossing to bimini - but you get the point!

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Slowing down too slow can cause your bow to stuff. So for me the ideal is just below planing speed (15-18mph on my boat). So your bow is as high as you can get it, and you can plow throw the inevitable 2nd wave. If I can see the wakes clearly (like on a lake), I will go faster. On the ocean or busy ICW etc it is often far harder to see the nature of the wave. For example, crossing to Bimini, we often see large container vessels. We KNOW their wakes are approaching, and I slow down to "find" them. Hitting one out of the blue hurts - we never have anyone in the bow while crossing to bimini - but you get the point!
I sometimes find in interesting to watch the "Haulover" videos especially since you can often see what leads up to folks stuffing the bows of their boats. Often it is due to captains not approaching at the correct speed, sometimes too fast, but most often too slow getting the bow to point down into the next wave.

I totally agree with the bow thoughts, if you have big waves passengers should be in the back of the boat. Aside from the possibility of injury there is a possibility of getting tossed right out of the boat. WIth multiple big waves, and especially little kids, maybe its also time for captains to think about pfd's until things calm down.

Jim

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
NO

B42033B2-C3A3-4054-A93F-E8307B18F4B3.jpeg

YES

7D04E431-D171-440F-9F42-6170D92E1E0D.jpeg

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Completely agree with the 45 degree suggestion. I tend to slow down if it is a big wake and kinda roll it. Specially if older folks on board. Otherwise if just the kids and wife and it is a moderate to small wake I take it like a champ at 25mph-ish. You may feel it more the slower you go on these smaller wakes. So like everyone said, go out, have fun safely, and you'll figure it out.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

dv_damian57

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I sometimes find in interesting to watch the "Haulover" videos especially since you can often see what leads up to folks stuffing the bows of their boats. Often it is due to captains not approaching at the correct speed, sometimes too fast, but most often too slow getting the bow to point down into the next wave.

I totally agree with the bow thoughts, if you have big waves passengers should be in the back of the boat. Aside from the possibility of injury there is a possibility of getting tossed right out of the boat. WIth multiple big waves, and especially little kids, maybe its also time for captains to think about pfd's until things calm down.

Jim

I cant watch those. Usually very painful to watch

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Where are all the PFD's / Vests? If I ever run Haulover, will surely have mine on as well as everyone in the boat with one on.
In the NO pic, what you can’t see is a young boy with a life jacket on….who got haulover rinsed off of the bow seat along with the three women who were sitting up front… all should have been in the back seats.

I agree with you about the PFD’s. Whenever I’m in motion using main propulsion I have my pfd on, along with my ignition cut off lanyard.

In the YES pic, weight is balanced, under power, probably going about 14-17 mph bow / shield up, cruising through with authority.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I cant watch those. Usually very painful to watch
You should watch them to learn what not to do, and what TO do. All part of lessons learned from a safety aspect. Was never any fun watching safety vids from the industry I worked in as some of the injuries were gruesome to say the least, but it sure leaves an impression as to what you better not do.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
In the NO pic, what you can’t see is a young boy with a life jacket on….who got haulover rinsed off of the bow seat along with the three women who were sitting up front… all should have been in the back seats.

I agree with you about the PFD’s. Whenever I’m in motion using main propulsion I have my pfd on, along with my ignition cut off lanyard.

In the YES pic, weight is balanced, under power, probably going about 14-17 mph bow / shield up, cruising through with authority.
There is a very timely video from Boats vs Haulover Inlet a couple of days ago (2:05 mark in the video). Captain got tossed overboard and not wearing a pfd. Also probably not a safety lanyard, but more importantly is the comment made that you need to teach rudimentary skills to the crew and have a second safety lanyard on board so the crew can pilot the boat back to the captain overboard.

Jim

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You should watch them to learn what not to do, and what TO do. All part of lessons learned from a safety aspect. Was never any fun watching safety vids from the industry I worked in as some of the injuries were gruesome to say the least, but it sure leaves an impression as to what you better not do.
I would agree. Most new captains will drive their boat slowly over the waves/wakes in these inlets out of an abundance of caution. This is when they tend to stuff the bow. They then continue to keep the bow down, potentially stuffing it again and not get the water already on board back to the scuppers so that it can drain overboard.

Jim