• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I miss my Yamaha

Manuel Lahens

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
July 4th weekend 2020. Typical Saturday crossing the Florida Bay between Miami and Elliot Key heading to the Sandbar. My wife jumps up and says thats it were done with the Yamaha Ride. Granted the bay was rougher than usual but after a few back aches and vertigo throughout my 8 years ownership of Yamaha we put our 2018 242 Limited SE for sale and we were then boatless for the rest of the summer. So comes the interview process on which boat to get next. All my Miami boater friends said get a real boat something with an outboard they added. Well we only like bowriders with swim platforms so our selection was pretty slim with a handful of reputable brands. Sea Ray Regal Cobalt Fourwinns Monterray and the likes. Clearly my wife would not agree to a 27 Ft Yamaha although I was hopeful. Tried to get a ride on one but was unsuccessful despite my many attempts. Reached out to owners of 27 but there was little to no feedback at the time. Come September we narrowed it down to a Regal LX6 put a deposit and custom ordered the boat. Took delivery second week of January and between one thing and another it wasnt until Feb that we were able to put it in the water. Fast Forward it is now 14 hours usage since February and I have yet to have a day where it is a non problem day beginning to end. Everything from Trailer Fitment to how the Electronics are wired and in between has had a problem. After the maiden the list of problems was so bad that the Factory came and picked up the boat to correct the 18 problems I encountered. Yes the ride is indeed better. A noticeable difference but what I miss the most is Yamaha Fit and Finish. The Quality that goes into the boat. the ease of have part numbers you can get parts online from various sources. The sheer simplicity and joyfulness of owning the Yamaha brand. Hindsight is 20-20 and the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Moral of my story is if you are thinking of moving out of a Yamaha to another 27 Ft or less bowrider with a platform you will be hard pressed to find anything better than a Yamaha. The ride is rough but I think in the end you will have more smile per mile on a Yamaha. BTW yes my wife is happier with the ride but I do believe she is finally realizing that every time we go out we have a problem with the Regal.
Enjoy your rides fellow boaters. I certainly miss mine.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting perspective! Did you have trim tabs on the Yamaha?

What contributes to the (slightly) better ride of the Regal?

Russell

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
It has to be the weight of the vessel. Our Yamahas are way light in comparison to other boats. Yamaha's definitely ride higher as a result.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I see people talk about Yamahas riding bad here or there and I have never understood it. My 21' rides as good, or better, than any other bowrider I have been on in the same size/class.

Manuel Lahens

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting perspective! Did you have trim tabs on the Yamaha?

What contributes to the (slightly) better ride of the Regal?
I owned a 2014 AR240 bought new from Yamaha. On that model I installed the Volvo Trim Tabs. Those are the ones that sit flush to the transom and just slide out as needed. They worked well. When the 242 Limited SE came out I wanted that model so I upgraded the AR for the 242. Had all the neat features dual battery solar panel fresh water rinse plus the new Conext and Fly by wire throttles. As soon as I got it I wanted to install the Lenco Trim tabs that we hear allot about on this forum. Problem was I could not get anyone to want to install it since the model was so new. I trolled a few dealers but no one wanted to touch it and I did not want to risk anyone much less myself trying to do the install so I never got around to it.
The weight on the Regal is near 6000 Lbs dry no engine so thats a big factor.
The other is the deadrise. Its a solid 24 degrees at the stern something Yamaha does not have. They have a decent deadrise at the bow but where the boat rides it is not which is where the trim tabs would have helped. I could have plowed the bow down and get it to cut the rough chop.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man, where's that thread with the 252 with all the quality problems that everyone was piling on. Just saw it yesterday, thought it was kinda petty/little stuff.

Sure seems like the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Manuel Lahens

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I see people talk about Yamahas riding bad here or there and I have never understood it. My 21' rides as good, or better, than any other bowrider I have been on in the same size/class.
The Florida Bay at times can be a handful. 10 - 15 Knots blowing is typical and the bay is often categorized as moderate to rough. Our Yamahas had a distinct jolting feeling at every drop off a wake. I could cross the bay at 20 knots or less and never get jolted. But sometimes when you want to run down to the keys it gets close to an hour and half each way. With the new Regal I have yet to cruise under 30 knots in similiar conditions and not complained about any jolting. Layout on both the yamaha and the Regal are very similar and I comfortably fit 6 large adults, 2 dogs and room to spare

Manuel Lahens

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Man, where's that thread with the 252 with all the quality problems that everyone was piling on. Just saw it yesterday, thought it was kinda petty/little stuff.

To be honest I think this whole Covid has brought allot of manufacturer's Quality Control in the recreational industry to its knees. I dont think its just my brand now that you mentioned it. Everyone is trying to push out products that are high in demand. I just dont have anything to compare other than my two Yamahas to the Regal. Both the dealer and the manufacturer have addressed all concerns were still working on the last few that just showed up recently.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Interesting comments about the Yamaha fit and finish versus the Regal. I can’t tell you how many posts I read about Yamaha’s so-so fit and finish when I bought my 212X 4 years ago. I guess everything is relative.

Did you consider Chaparral? I owned one for 20 years and almost bought the 223VRX when I bought my Yamaha. They used to (and I believe still do) have a very strong reputation for fit and finish. My experience would support this - almost no issues in 20 years vs several with the Yamaha although I will admit that a couple were self-inflicted.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m total opposite of your fit and finish take. I have a regal 29 OBX now and love it! Fit and finish is way better than Yamaha. That tower rattled all the time, head door never sealed right, cheap stainless steel and plenty more. I still loved my Yamaha but the ride was too bumpy for where I boat. Wife hated the bouncing.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The Florida Bay at times can be a handful. 10 - 15 Knots blowing is typical and the bay is often categorized as moderate to rough. Our Yamahas had a distinct jolting feeling at every drop off a wake. I could cross the bay at 20 knots or less and never get jolted. But sometimes when you want to run down to the keys it gets close to an hour and half each way. With the new Regal I have yet to cruise under 30 knots in similiar conditions and not complained about any jolting. Layout on both the yamaha and the Regal are very similar and I comfortably fit 6 large adults, 2 dogs and room to spare
Clearly your hull was a 20kt/23mph hull…. I’ve found the same on my boat, roughly 22mph and hull settles in and is super smooth, in moderate chop. 3‘ waves, drop the speed to 14mph and get the bow up and it rides smooth and dry, even with 30 mph winds.

Sorry to hear that you have had so many issues with your new ride, hope they get resolved soon.

Last edited:

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don’t miss my AR210. I upgraded to a Robalo 246 Cayman as I mostly boat in the Pamlico Sound and it can get rough quick with a little wind. Got tired of the beating in the Yamaha. I can enjoy boating on days I would have never taken AR210 out due to the wind. I haven’t had any fit/finish issues with the Robalo. It is a much heavier boat and rides accordingly. The Yamaha Outboard 300hp at 30mph it’s getting 3.8mpg. I can easily have a conversation with others without screaming at them. In no-wake zones can walk away from helm to get something out of the cooler, put sunscreen on, put bumpers on/off and its still going the same direction. Trim of engine and tabs allows you to easily adjust for waves/wind or fat friends. Digital throttle controls allow for easy steady speeds to pull wakeboards/tubers. T-top means I don’t have to setup/takedown bimini top every time out. Only 1 motor to flush and just hook up hose, run water for 10 min (motor off) go do something esle, turn off water, with no crazy motor on/water on/water off/ motor off sequence. IPilot trolling motor means I can set my location while kids & I swim and I never have to throw my anchor out. I can take cushion out for days when its just the guys fishing or put them back in for cruising. I will say the only thing I do miss is the swim platform when kids are boarding or tubing. That setup was very convenient.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

steering being crooked and never set via the factory is petty? lol Interior pieces not even bolted to the hull petty? 100k boat after taxes prep...id expect it to be better than this. Not to mention today in the sunlight i got a good look at the outside and its swirled to shit by whomever wheeled it at the factory to spit shine it and slap a "quality assured" sticker on this bitch before it got shipped off to my dealer.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
steering being crooked and never set via the factory is petty? lol Interior pieces not even bolted to the hull petty? 100k boat after taxes prep...id expect it to be better than this. Not to mention today in the sunlight i got a good look at the outside and its swirled to shit by whomever wheeled it at the factory to spit shine it and slap a "quality assured" sticker on this bitch before it got shipped off to my dealer.
I don’t envy anyone who bought a Made In COVID boat.

That said, I think that dealers have some level of culpability here; I’ve had some long talks with our dealer about the work they do before handing a new boat to a customer. They take their part very seriously and do their best to correct for any factory/transit shortcomings. Granted, our dealer ain’t cheap, but they understand their reputation is on the line if the boats they sell suck.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I don’t miss my AR210. I upgraded to a Robalo 246 Cayman as I mostly boat in the Pamlico Sound and it can get rough quick with a little wind. Got tired of the beating in the Yamaha. I can enjoy boating on days I would have never taken AR210 out due to the wind. I haven’t had any fit/finish issues with the Robalo. It is a much heavier boat and rides accordingly. The Yamaha Outboard 300hp at 30mph it’s getting 3.8mpg. I can easily have a conversation with others without screaming at them. In no-wake zones can walk away from helm to get something out of the cooler, put sunscreen on, put bumpers on/off and its still going the same direction. Trim of engine and tabs allows you to easily adjust for waves/wind or fat friends. Digital throttle controls allow for easy steady speeds to pull wakeboards/tubers. T-top means I don’t have to setup/takedown bimini top every time out. Only 1 motor to flush and just hook up hose, run water for 10 min (motor off) go do something esle, turn off water, with no crazy motor on/water on/water off/ motor off sequence. IPilot trolling motor means I can set my location while kids & I swim and I never have to throw my anchor out. I can take cushion out for days when its just the guys fishing or put them back in for cruising. I will say the only thing I do miss is the swim platform when kids are boarding or tubing. That setup was very convenient.
Hilarious to even compare those two boats.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How is it hilarious? I have owned a jet boat, which at the time was what I wanted, it served me very well and I had no mechanical issues with it, now I own something else. My Robalo is very much in line price wise with a higher end Yamaha of equal size. I simply stated what I like about my new boat vs the jet boat. For the reasons stated I do not miss my Jet boat.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How is it hilarious? I have owned a jet boat, which at the time was what I wanted, it served me very well and I had no mechanical issues with it, now I own something else. My Robalo is very much in line price wise with a higher end Yamaha of equal size. I simply stated what I like about my new boat vs the jet boat. For the reasons stated I do not miss my Jet boat.
I took it to mean that perhaps the Robolo is a few notches above the Yamaha in general, especially with fit, finish and quality. I have been in them they are very nice boats all the way around, at least from what I thought.

Manuel Lahens

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting comments about the Yamaha fit and finish versus the Regal. I can’t tell you how many posts I read about Yamaha’s so-so fit and finish when I bought my 212X 4 years ago. I guess everything is relative.

Did you consider Chaparral? I owned one for 20 years and almost bought the 223VRX when I bought my Yamaha. They used to (and I believe still do) have a very strong reputation for fit and finish. My experience would support this - almost no issues in 20 years vs several with the Yamaha although I will admit that a couple were self-inflicted.
Pretty much considered every Bow rider including Chaparral. Happened to have a boat dealer nearby with both Chapparral and Four Winns so that was easy. Thing is we were looking to get a 26 to 27 foot. The short list came at Regal and Sea Ray neck and neck fully loaded I was looking at $140K out the door with trailer for Regal LX6 and the Sea Ray SDX270 OB Chaparral and Four Winss were considerably less money just didnt like the platform spare or the interior layout. Regal and Sea Ray for us clearly took the top spot. I went with Regal because I felt the dealership representing the product was more down to earth and workable. Glad I did because the dealership has been spot on with all our concerns.

Manuel Lahens

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m total opposite of your fit and finish take. I have a regal 29 OBX now and love it! Fit and finish is way better than Yamaha. That tower rattled all the time, head door never sealed right, cheap stainless steel and plenty more. I still loved my Yamaha but the ride was too bumpy for where I boat. Wife hated the bouncing.
We looked at the 29 also from Regal and Sea Ray and Monterrey. Would have loved to have gotten one of those but Overall Length on my driveway would say otherwise. I think one of the biggest reason why we had so many issues with the LX is because it is relatively a new boat. released in 2020 so not that many out there.

Your 29 OBX will out do my LX-6 in ride quality just the same as the LX-6 over any of the 24ft Yamaha line but we keep doubling price as we go up the line so it is all relevant.

I am sure had I gone the 29 OBX route I would not have so many issues since that design is tried and tested true already as is the 26 OBX. I went with the LX-6 for all the features you cannot get on the 26OBX. Power Hard Tower, Rear Slide Seating, Electric Lazarrette. Just nice features you would want to have.