• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Life jacket use

chileanJK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Last night me and my wife were viewing a few videos from the inlet haulover on YouTube, were several accidents take place and my wife asked me, why they are not using life jackets?, here in Chile, you have to wear a life jacket by law on the water on any kind of boat, in the USA there is no obligation to wear one?

My wife told me to ask you guys, HWHL (Happy Wife Happy Life)

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The haulover inlet videos are not indicative of the boating conditions on either side of the inlet. It is very well known for large swells and waves due to the current/tide/wind. So most folks going through are coming from the beautiful flat waters of the bay on one side, to a relatively calm ocean on the other side.

Yes there are exceptions, but many are surprised by the rolling waves. And lifejackets are not required to be worn by law on adults. Only children. I'm sure many wished they had once they got tossed around in the inlet.

We boat inland, and have the required jackets by law. But we many times do not wear them as our boat has such a high freeboard, in comparison to very low sided fishing boats etc. It's still a good idea to wear them, but in our boat, there is next to no chance that I could get tossed in our conditions. I never turn down anyone asking to wear one, as I am ultimately responsible for them.

usmc6175

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The law is different in every state regarding what age people must wear a life jacket. General rule is adults do not need to wear a life jacket while inside the boat. You must wear one if you are being towed on a tube, skis, wake board, etc. Also you must wear a life jacket while on a jet ski.

chileanJK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks for the info!!!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
In our state of GA, the law is that all kids under a certain age (18?) must wear a vest while under way. And there needs to be easily accessible vests for everyone else in the boat.

chileanJK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
In our state of GA, the law is that all kids under a certain age (18?) must wear a vest while under way. And there needs to be easily accessible vests for everyone else in the boat.
Make sense!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I wear one depending on the conditions or where I’m boating. People debate on the best type of pfd (personal flotation device), but my thought is it’s the one comfortable enough to wear. When I wear one it’s normally an inflatable.

You see some really idiot captains on some of the Haulover type videos. From boats being overloaded for the conditions, to kids in the bow of a boat w/o pfd in sloppy conditions.

Jim

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In US waters the only PFD that must be worn is the type V, inflatable via co2 cartridge. Other types are not required to be worn, but must be at hand. Not stuffed away in a locker when you need them.

We use a type V on the sailboat and either wear type 2 or have it at hand on the fishing boat, depends on conditions.

The "captain" is responsible for the safety of all souls on board, so any guests and crew on our boats will wear supplied PFD's while underway.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I wear inflatable one with co2 cartridge, profile is so small you won’t even notice wearing it after a while
I wear the same type of pfd. Many times I get in my truck to retrieve the boat and find I still have my pfd on.

I wear my inflatable pfd whenever I launch and retrieve my boat both as a promise and for safety. Just about the time I started boating there was a story about a couple who pulled up to a boat ramp east of here and saw a truck parked with the boat trailer in the water, no boat and no people. The boat was found not too long after floating down the Missouri river, the man’s body was found later. I never did hear the findings of the coroner, however it was thought the man either had a stroke or fell and hit his head knocking him unconscious while launching his boat. My friend was worried since I boat alone most of the time so I promised her I would always wear my pfd when launching or retrieving. If you think about it, the risk of falling is greatest when launching / retrieving. While fishing on calm and warmer waters I usually don’t wear my pfd, but if the water is cold, like 30 & 40° cold I have it on, or whenever I’m cruising around or “sport boating”.

Anytime I take people out we have a short safety briefing or tailgate, first thing I ask is whether or not everyone can swim (never make assumptions) I show them where the standard old school dayglow orange PFD’s are in the Tea Bag and how to open it, where the fire extinguisher is, offer everyone an inflatable PFD to wear, if the conditions are calm, not crowded and the water is warm 65°+ and they decline that’s fine. If the water is cold, rough, or there are a lot of boats around I just hand them a PFD to put on and help each person to adjust them so they’re comfy. No one ever argues, there might be a questioning look and I explain why, then they just smile and let me help them put them on, it takes like 30 seconds to adjust the straps and explain they are auto inflating, show them the manual pull handle and show them how to manually deploy the bladder and where the manual fill / top off tube is. If it’s me and my two main fishing partners I just hand them inflatable PFD’s before we leave the marina and we wear them until we are set up trolling or sight casting.

All my inflatable PFD’s are the highest rated pounds of buoyancy, I think they are 33#.

Preachy advisory.…

I also let my passengers know when I ask them to stay seated during docking I mean to stay seated until I say otherwise. I explain its great if you want to help with docking, but it’s a distraction if they move around or put their body outside the boat, I may need to make a quick maneuver and they could fall out. I have my docking stick in one of the vertical rod holders coming in and when I’m a few hundred feet from the dock I’ll hand one of them the docking stick and let them grab the cleat with it.

Last bit, alcohol is a rarity on my boat. I don’t know what t is about people, boats and alcohol, for some reason some people think / feel like it’s necessary to pound the beers when they get on a boat….anyway the only people I will allow to bring alcohol are those I’ve been around who were drinking on dry land, E.G.people I know can handle their booze. I had one experience with someone’s 20 something year old son who couldn’t handle his beer, slammed several tall boys and was a total douche bag, at one point yelling some verbiage in Spanish (he’s a white kid) at the girls on the shore about their big boobies, he didn’t think I knew enough Spanish to know what he was saying. After I told him to STFU, in Spanish, he went and passed out on the swim step and I had to ask his mother to sit there and keep an eye on him. His mother tried to say he was just tired, I told her, no, don’t make excuses for his behavior, he just can’t handle his liquor 🥃. Needless to say those people are persona non grata.

Don‘t mean to be preachy…but I figure if tell everyone what I do, share an experience and it keeps folks from having a bad day on the water then it’s worth me writing this out.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In US waters the only PFD that must be worn is the type V, inflatable via co2 cartridge. Other types are not required to be worn, but must be at hand. Not stuffed away in a locker when you need them.

We use a type V on the sailboat and either wear type 2 or have it at hand on the fishing boat, depends on conditions.

The "captain" is responsible for the safety of all souls on board, so any guests and crew on our boats will wear supplied PFD's while underway.
Agree ♾️!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here is a great link on the US life jacket rules for lifejacket use.

Short story is not matter where you are in the US, children under age 7 (that was the lowest age I found - Missouri) must have a life jacket on while underway. Most states are age 13 and under - In states where no children's life jacket law is in place, a U.S. Coast Guard interim rule requires children under 13 on moving boats to wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket that fits.

State Laws for Life Jackets : BoatUS Foundation

chileanJK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I wear the same type of pfd. Many times I get in my truck to retrieve the boat and find I still have my pfd on.

I wear my inflatable pfd whenever I launch and retrieve my boat both as a promise and for safety. Just about the time I started boating there was a story about a couple who pulled up to a boat ramp east of here and saw a truck parked with the boat trailer in the water, no boat and no people. The boat was found not too long after floating down the Missouri river, the man’s body was found later. I never did hear the findings of the coroner, however it was thought the man either had a stroke or fell and hit his head knocking him unconscious while launching his boat. My friend was worried since I boat alone most of the time so I promised her I would always wear my pfd when launching or retrieving. If you think about it, the risk of falling is greatest when launching / retrieving. While fishing on calm and warmer waters I usually don’t wear my pfd, but if the water is cold, like 30 & 40° cold I have it on, or whenever I’m cruising around or “sport boating”.

Anytime I take people out we have a short safety briefing or tailgate, first thing I ask is whether or not everyone can swim (never make assumptions) I show them where the standard old school dayglow orange PFD’s are in the Tea Bag and how to open it, where the fire extinguisher is, offer everyone an inflatable PFD to wear, if the conditions are calm, not crowded and the water is warm 65°+ and they decline that’s fine. If the water is cold, rough, or there are a lot of boats around I just hand them a PFD to put on and help each person to adjust them so they’re comfy. No one ever argues, there might be a questioning look and I explain why, then they just smile and let me help them put them on, it takes like 30 seconds to adjust the straps and explain they are auto inflating, show them the manual pull handle and show them how to manually deploy the bladder and where the manual fill / top off tube is. If it’s me and my two main fishing partners I just hand them inflatable PFD’s before we leave the marina and we wear them until we are set up trolling or sight casting.

All my inflatable PFD’s are the highest rated pounds of buoyancy, I think they are 33#.

Preachy advisory.…

I also let my passengers know when I ask them to stay seated during docking I mean to stay seated until I say otherwise. I explain its great if you want to help with docking, but it’s a distraction if they move around or put their body outside the boat, I may need to make a quick maneuver and they could fall out. I have my docking stick in one of the vertical rod holders coming in and when I’m a few hundred feet from the dock I’ll hand one of them the docking stick and let them grab the cleat with it.

Last bit, alcohol is a rarity on my boat. I don’t know what t is about people, boats and alcohol, for some reason some people think / feel like it’s necessary to pound the beers when they get on a boat….anyway the only people I will allow to bring alcohol are those I’ve been around who were drinking on dry land, E.G.people I know can handle their booze. I had one experience with someone’s 20 something year old son who couldn’t handle his beer, slammed several tall boys and was a total douche bag, at one point yelling some verbiage in Spanish (he’s a white kid) at the girls on the shore about their big boobies, he didn’t think I knew enough Spanish to know what he was saying. After I told him to STFU, in Spanish, he went and passed out on the swim step and I had to ask his mother to sit there and keep an eye on him. His mother tried to say he was just tired, I told her, no, don’t make excuses for his behavior, he just can’t handle his liquor 🥃. Needless to say those people are persona non grata.

Don‘t mean to be preachy…but I figure if tell everyone what I do, share an experience and it keeps folks from having a bad day on the water then it’s worth me writing this out.
Good tip, about wearing PFD's when launching, every one in my family knows they cant get in boat without PFD and I can't stand drunk people on dry land, imagine let them aboard, no way!. I have no option with people speaking spanish as is our language around here! hahaha