• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Maybe this was a mistake..<where to get service in MN>

_MBK_

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought an SX 195 from a dealer in my home town of Las Vegas. I pulled it up to Bemidji, MN where it will live permanently. One thing I did not consider was service. All the regular boat shops we have used in the past won't work on this boat. I never thought finding a shop would be a problem. Anybody else run into this issue?

Service is simple....this is the beauty of these boats. If you don't want to do it yourself, there has to be a place that works on jetboats and jetskis in your area.

What are you needing?? If you have any skill whatsoever you can do almost anything that these boats may need and parts are usually readily available online as opposed to dealerships which sometimes have to wait weeks or longer on arrival of parts. The closest to me is..... ummmm...

Many people come across this issue. First recommendation is to look for PWC shops. They are more numerous and should have several options closer than the nearest Yahama boat dealer. They should be willing to do powertrain work. Whatever is in-between general boat stuff (body/fiberglass) and powertrain you'll need to learn to do (with our help) or take to the nearest dealer.

Showing my ignorance of MN geography, but @biffdotorg any suggested places for @_MBK_ ?

I appreciate the replies. I have talked to the local PWC shops and they're not interested. I think they don't understand what it is.

Not exactly sure where you are at in MN. I do know the Member Map is not that accurate, but there are quite a few members in MN with jetboats. They must get it done somewhere.

20210605_084933.jpg

I bought an SX 195 from a dealer in my home town of Las Vegas. I pulled it up to Bemidji, MN where it will live permanently. One thing I did not consider was service. All the regular boat shops we have used in the past won't work on this boat. I never thought finding a shop would be a problem. Anybody else run into this issue?

I kinda have the same issue as you..my closest dealer is in Bismarck ND. I bought my boat from River Valley Marine in Red Wing MN. RVM has 6 locations, you’ll have to see which one is closest to you.

There is a Yamaha dealer close to me that sells their line of PWC and they would not work on my boat even though the drive train is the same, tried to get Yamaha lubricants and such there, not only did they not have those items their customer service is sh*t so I now get all “stuff” on line, mainly from Babbitts online, some off of Amazon.

Like the other posters have stated, these boats are super easy to work on. You’ll just need a vacuum evacuator to change the oil, and a grease gun to put grease in the intermediate bearing. There are some other maintenance tasks that are super simple to complete. Get yourself a service manual, it will be very helpful, and you’ll probably save yourself enough money on an oil change to buy a half tank of fuel.

The only thing I can see for a possible dealer visit on the distant horizon is a valve lash check / adjustment at 200 hours, but I’m at 80 hours now so that’s a ways off.

Last edited:
If you ever have a need for warranty work, you will have to go to a Yamaha boat dealer, and that leaves you with River Valley, and they have a twin cities location as well. Otherwise, service and service parts could be done at either of the U-motors locations in Fargo or Detroit Lakes. Revolutions in Grand Forks is a great yamaha shop too.

I would not fret it at all, as anything else you can do yourself. I have yet to take my boat to a dealership for assistance. Call me lucky, but with the help here, I’m not worried in the least.

I did not read the entire thread. However I’m assuming someone sells Yamaha waver runners in your area, they can do the basics. They are not authorized to do warranty work, for that you must take to a Yamaha boat dealer.

I appreciate the replies. I have talked to the local PWC shops and they're not interested. I think they don't understand what it is.
Maybe worth driving over with it and say can you look at. Once they see it they may changer their mind. I think the best idea yet is to find someone else in the area with one and find out where they get it serviced.

River valley power and sport is the only Yamaha boat dealer in the state. They have a service center in Minnetonka but obviously that's haul for you.

Basic maintenance is so easy. Get an electronic oil extractor, put the tube in the dipstick hole and turn it on. When it's done pour 4qts of oil in. Boom oil change with almost no effort.

Basic maintenance is so easy. Get an electronic oil extractor, put the tube in the dipstick hole and turn it on. When it's done pour 4qts of oil in. Boom oil change with almost no effort.

completely new to jet boats… is there no oil filter?

Agree with others, maintenance is super easy and these boats are super reliable. Not hard to work on and plenty of help here. You can do it :thumbsup:

It was pretty easy to lube and change the oil. There are plenty of youtube videos on how to do it. It is just frustrating that the local Yamaha shops don't understand the boat. There isn't any new technology.

Back