• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

One in a Million chance!

CigarJeff68

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, I took the boat out yesterday with the wife, daughter and 3 of my daughters friends. I was about 500 yards from the slip heading out of the canal ans all of a sudden we hear one of the engines making a odd noise. I shut both engines off immediately, fire the port engine up, all good, fire up the starboard engine and noise. Shut down the engine, and limp out of the canal on the port engine. Just needed to get to the lake so I could see if I sucked up anything. Get out to the lake, open the clean out, the wife reaches in to see what she can feel, and says Holy Sh**, there is a 2x4 in there! Well after 10 or 15 minutes of fiddling with it, she finally shoved the piece out the bottom grate, and I see it float up next to the boat. Attached is a picture of the culprit. The boat seemed to run fine after she removed the 2x4, but I noticed at full throttle I lost about 8 mile per hour, and in reverse it acted different. Think I may have taken out a blade on my impeller. At least it is at the end of the season, so I won't missing any boating weekends, and it gives Yamaha the winter to fix her. Does anyone know if mu "YES" warranty would cover this? I'm tempted to go by a lottery ticket as the chance of that 2x4 sliding in my grate had to be a one in a million shot!

1632765707190.png

Your "Yes" warranty won't cover this.....your insurance policy might....

Ouch! 2x4 that’s a first! I’m in the process of replacing my impellers and it’s not too bad. Are you mechanically inclined? You might be able to swap out the damaged impeller for a replacement….

I am mechanically inclined, so I may take a crack at it. But as you've seen, my luck isn't the best! I just put a call into my insurance company, as per Julian's suggestion. If it is covered, I might just let my dealership take care of it.

first take a close look from under the boat because there may still be a small piece of wood lodged in between the impeller blades and that may be all there is to getting it back to normal you can also see if the impeller is mangled but I doubt it

I'll be pulling her out of the water this weekend, so I will take a look and see if anything is lodged in there. Thanks for the advice.

I am mechanically inclined, so I may take a crack at it. But as you've seen, my luck isn't the best! I just put a call into my insurance company, as per Julian's suggestion. If it is covered, I might just let my dealership take care of it.

Sounds like you may have bent the impeller blades a little. There are several threads here on how R&R your jet pumps. I’ve done it several times now and I can tell you it is pretty darn easy.

For both pumps there are 15 bolts total, one 10mm, 4- 6mm bolts, and 8-8mm bolts. Without hurrying it takes me 1.5 hours to pull the pumps, change impellers, and reinstall the pumps.

You can get the impeller(s) repaired at Impros out in So Cal.

Back