• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Protecting your vehicle from theft

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This guy has one of my current fave YouTube channels and I came across these vids last night. I like this guys salt of the earth personality, and his final words in each segment, “Please be kind to one another”.

I have to say I’m rather surprised at this design flaw. I had known about the previous remote door openers vulnerability and never used it when out and about, I always used the keypad or the key. Now it’s just the keypad or the fob…since there is no key.

Anyway, just thought I’d put this out there for the group in case anyone found this helpful.

And the follow up ….

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This guy has one of my current fave YouTube channels and I came across these vids last night. I like this guys salt of the earth personality, and his final words in each segment, “Please be kind to one another”.

I have to say I’m rather surprised at this design flaw. I had known about the previous remote door openers vulnerability and never used it when out and about, I always used the keypad or the key. Now it’s just the keypad or the fob…since there is no key.

Anyway, just thought I’d put this out there for the group in case anyone found this helpful.

And the follow up ….
Wow....pretty interesting indeed! Certainly makes you wonder if having keyless entry is even worth it! If you have to lock the key, or put it in a pouch it completely defeats the point of keyless entry!!! There is no way I'm putting my keys in a pouch....I'll just have to rely on my insurance replacing the cars! Hopefully the automakers come up with a better security system on the keys!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Right? I thought the vehicle would have been sending out an interrogation ping looking for a securely coded response.

Also, on my vehicle, and from what I understand other vehicles that have this system, there is a place to put the fob in case the battery is dead where the vehicle can read interrogate the fob. It’s like a little molded in holder where the fob will fit into and this will allow operation of the vehicle until a new battery is put into the fob.

Id also expect insurance to replace my vehicle, but, the vehicle I drive is in short supply and may not be available… i like the ounce of prevention / pound of cure adage.

Once again the 2% rule applies…2% of the people mess things up for the rest.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So, just having your key fob in your house.. if the perp has the right equipment they just need to stop in front of your pad and they are in. Meh, for $10 bucks the fob can live in this pouch whenever it is not needed.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A few thoughts on this, didn't watch videos but it's probably not a big deal...

This is big business, semi organized crime in bigger cities that I'm not gonna delve into the reasons why because it will hurt feelings. But it's very big on Hellcats, Corvettes, and other things with motors that people want for swaps. They bring them to chop shops that tear them down for their valuable parts or load them into containers to be shipped overseas to be chopped.

The more common thing theyre doing nowdays is adding keys. They just need access and they can pair a new key to it, sometimes with a new bcm they swap in. The real underlying issue is how easy they make it to add a new key. There's no reason that it can't require you to approve it via app or email nowdays. Vehicle are sending diagnostic data all the time, so there's no reason it couldn't do the same for this.

The automakers just aren't up to the task of integrating tech. That's why I don't trust them for autonomous driving or that sort of stuff.

Bottom line, we need to devote more time and resources to locking criminals up. They do this because they feel there is low risk and high reward.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A few thoughts on this, didn't watch videos but it's probably not a big deal...

This is big business, semi organized crime in bigger cities that I'm not gonna delve into the reasons why because it will hurt feelings. But it's very big on Hellcats, Corvettes, and other things with motors that people want for swaps. They bring them to chop shops that tear them down for their valuable parts or load them into containers to be shipped overseas to be chopped.

The more common thing theyre doing nowdays is adding keys. They just need access and they can pair a new key to it, sometimes with a new bcm they swap in. The real underlying issue is how easy they make it to add a new key. There's no reason that it can't require you to approve it via app or email nowdays. Vehicle are sending diagnostic data all the time, so there's no reason it couldn't do the same for this.

The automakers just aren't up to the task of integrating tech. That's why I don't trust them for autonomous driving or that sort of stuff.

Bottom line, we need to devote more time and resources to locking criminals up. They do this because they feel there is low risk and high reward.
In this case they found his truck later on, in a container at the port ready to be loaded onto a ship. Police told them it is organized crime that is doing it.

Correct again about adding keys. The whole idea with the faraday pouch is to prevent the fob from sending out a constant string of coded information and if a perp has the right machine they just make a key from up to 200 yards away.

Agree on incarcerating criminals. In the old west you got hung for stealing a mans horse.

But now….. only a lad.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So was recently on a trip to Birmingham AL, post forth coming on that, and while at dinner one night I believe I came within minutes of getting my truck stolen.

We were out to dinner and were leaving the restaurant, I told my friends I had to use the restroom and I’d be out in a minute, they walked out to the parking lot. When I walked out I could see them pulling the golf clubs out of the back seat and putting them in the bed, as I walked up I asked them if I had left my truck unlocked. They said no, when they were a ways away from it the lights came on and the doors were open when they got to it. I told them I didn’t do that and that someone must have tried to steal my truck… I had my faraday pouch in the center storage compartment and not in my pocket with my key fob in it, never even thought of it as we had been having fun all day and we were all hungry by the time we got to the restaurant. The next issue was that we were very close to our hotel so whoever did the hack was watching.

After we got back to the hotel I started trying to figure out how to disable the truck so that someone with a cloned key fob couldn’t take my truck. I had my tool box with me so I grabbed a 10mm wrench and headed down to disconnect the battery negative cables, I knew this would be a pita from a pcm and other preset issue, but at least I’d still have a truck to have those pita’s with. I called my friend who has helped me with all my boat stuff and he suggested pulling the run relay, found a cluster of 8 relays but nothing in the owners manual with a legend on that box. He looked up my underhood fuse box and found a 30A fuse for the starter solenoid, I pulled that fuse and tested it, everything worked except the starter. I buttoned up everything and went to bed knowing that someone could gain access but not start the vehicle. I did that for the next four nights I spent there, took about 3 minutes to disable or enable the starter.

You can bet that each time I stop my truck when I’m out and about now the key fob goes into the faraday pouch. lesson learned, I was very fortunate.

Last edited:

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Super easy to put a kill switch in the wheel well on a chevy, grab the fuel pump ground wire.
This and a club will deter the tweakers. Paranoid? let the air out of a tire.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Super easy to put a kill switch in the wheel well on a chevy, grab the fuel pump ground wire.
This and a club will deter the tweakers. Paranoid? let the air out of a tire.
I’ll be intercepting the starter solenoid wire and installing a switch in the cab somewhere… a friend of mine hooked his switch up to one of the rear seat belts which I thought was pretty darn ingenious.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I’ll be intercepting the starter solenoid wire and installing a switch in the cab somewhere… a friend of mine hooked his switch up to one of the rear seat belts which I thought was pretty darn ingenious.
Lot's of cool ways to do it. Once worked on a Jeep that used a headphone jack as a kill switch. Took us about an hour figuring out what we did to mess up the Jeep until we gave in and called them.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Lot's of cool ways to do it. Once worked on a Jeep that used a headphone jack as a kill switch. Took us about an hour figuring out what we did to mess up the Jeep until we gave in and called them.
Thats also a good idea on how to make a permissive to start switch!