• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 24ft jetboat vs Robalo 24ft to Bimini Island

cargarci53

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi all, I am planing to buy a boat next month and will be using it a lot to cross from miami to bimini island. I am trying to get an honest opinion of the pros and cons of getting a Yamaha 24ft jetboat or a Robalo 24ft to Bimini Island?

How does the Yamaha 24ft jetboat handles the ocean crossing? Is it very different than riding on a Robalo 24ft?

Thanks in advance!

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don’t own a Robalo but it’s definitely the better choice since it’s built for offshore if u can live without the swim platform when u get to the blue water of the Bahamas lol.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How did you come to compare these two boats? They seem very dissimilar in purpose, price and etc. A 24 foot Yamaha is a ski/watersports boat. If you go to a 25 foot FSH, you might have something to compare. In terms of price, a 24 foot Robalo (using MSRPs) is much more expensive than a similarly equipped 25 foot FSH (the FSH has twin engines and a twin Robalo 24 center console would be about 50% more). A dual console 24 Robalo is even more.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Be ware of fan boy bias in a thread like this. You are talking truly 2 different class of boats here. Again Robalo is a true off shore brand, Yamaha is a value inshore boat. After 8 years Im sure I understand Yamaha quite well.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Be ware of fan boy bias in a thread like this. You are talking truly 2 different class of boats here. Again Robalo is a true off shore brand, Yamaha is a value inshore boat. After 8 years Im sure I understand Yamaha quite well.
The only way I could see choosing the Yamaha over the Robalo would be to compare a 25 foot FSH with its twin engines to a 24 Robalo with one engine. The prices would be closer (Robalo still higher), and at least you would have something to weigh (slightly bigger twin versus marginally smaller single). It might be worth test driving both in some less than ideal conditions.

The natural default choice, if similarly equipped, would be an outboard center console.

Last edited:

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Robalo. And I LOVE my jet for lake work.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When I was looking for my boat last year my friend had these questions that helped guide me to the 210 FSH I bought.

Where are you going to use the boat?
What are you going to use the boat for?
How many people are going to be on the boat?

Since the answer to the first question is “off shore” the Yamaha side of the equation would be either the 252 or 255 FSH. As others have stated in this post, the 25’ FSH has a new hull designed for off shore use, and reports keep coming in from our members that the boat works very well in bigger water.

The Robalo is a fine looking and serious off shore center console with some great features that justify its higher price point.

The Robalo‘s range at a best cruise speed of 28 mph is 327 statute miles with a 10% reserve of its 150 gallon fuel tank netting 2.42 mpg with twin 150 hp Yamaha’s. Should also be noted that Yamaha now offers the digital control / joy stick operating system for the 150’s which gives you auto pilot, anchor lock, and incredible low speed maneuvering. The 255 FSH Sport E Yamaha range with its supercharged engines ( 500 hp) has a best cruise speed of 31 mph, 211 statute miles with a 10% reserve of its 111 gallon fuel tank netting 2.1 mpg.

Heres two test reports from boat test highlighting these two boats.

As the others have stated above, I love my 210 FSH but if the mission is longer off shore adventures the Robalo seems like the best choice, but the 252 or 255 FSH could very well fill the bill at a lower price point.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bogus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have yamaha 242x E 2017 with 140 hours:
Two times changed shift cables. One time changed steering cable. Audio Polk at stern is not working. Changed pair of polk speaker they stoped working. Oil leaks in engine. GPS is not working. Now im waiting for display that cost $2400 cause its not loading. Tower get deformation because of the regular sea wind. You May dislike my post but this it the truth yamaha is not a reliable boat. Also problebs with bearings. This is after Two years at river and Two years at the sea. Is it realible? At 140 hours the boat is full apart. Also gel coat and hull is very thin.

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Two times changed shift cables. One time changed steering cable. Audio Polk at stern is not working. Changed pair of polk speaker they stoped working. Oil leaks in engine. GPS is not working. Now im waiting for display that cost $2400 cause its not loading. Tower get deformation because of the regular sea wind. You May dislike my post but this it the truth yamaha is not a reliable boat. Also problebs with bearings. This is after Two years at river and Two years at the sea. Is it realible? At 140 hours the boat is full apart. Also gel coat and hull is very thin.
that sounds rather unusual. Sorry to hear you had such bad luck because this is not the norm

Bogus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
P. S. Tower Led lits diddnt work since factory

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This thread is likely pointless; the website shows the OP has not visited since posting his first and only post.

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
That may be the first time I've heard Yamaha referred to as "unreliable". Sounds like Larry at the factory was drunk that day he assembled your boat. Sorry man.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This thread is likely pointless; the website shows the OP has not visited since posting his first and only post.
but its fun. haha.

So what should I get, a 6 pack of Pernicious IPA or a bottle of woodford reserve? Similar question right? Both are kinda awesome but completely different.