• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Disappointed

TraCo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone has else is feeling the same disappointment in their Yamaha due to BCU. 3 months ago we purchased a 2020 242x. We have experienced sensor issues every time we have taken it out. Got some Little Rock’s stuck in the gate and had to take it to the dealer to have the BCU reset. I was told that is how it is with this model. I can’t reset a bcu. Rocks stuck in a gate is a simple fix and shouldn’t require a reset by the dealer only. The dealer told me that the 2021 model and newer owners are able to reset their own bcu’s for small issues like this. Does anyone know if Yamaha is rectifying this computer issue for later models? It’s ridiculous. I have buyers remorse at this point and want to get rid of the boat.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Based on the ratio of reads to responses to your question, I am assuming you confused even the most knowlegable of this group. Do you care to elaborate? BCU? A rock in a grate doesn't usually throw a code, so I am unsure what you actually had happen.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Based on the ratio of reads to responses to your question, I am assuming you confused even the most knowlegable of this group. Do you care to elaborate? BCU? A rock in a grate doesn't usually throw a code, so I am unsure what you actually had happen.
Sounds like he's saying that the first generation e-drive systems need a dealer to reset the codes.

@ OP - have you tried resetting the errors with the on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on method?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sounds like he's saying that the first generation e-drive systems need a dealer to reset the codes.

@ OP - have you tried resetting the errors with the on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on method?
And there is the issue of that wire not being tied down correctly on the card.. that was the source of the steering fault code.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
where are you at ?
what dealer are you using ?
how many hours are on the engines ?
what sensors or error messages are you getting ?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
where are you at ?
what dealer are you using ?
how many hours are on the engines ?
what sensors or error messages are you getting ?
Great questions.. I should have asked those..

Help us to help you to solve your problem, tons of info and very knowledgeable people on this site who have experienced your issues.

TraCo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
BCU is the boat control unit sensor. This is connected to the throttle. If the gate gets stuck due to rocks or sand an BCU error code is thrown. When this occurs, even though I have cleared the gate, the boat has to be taken to the dealer to reset the code. Clearing the gate is an easy fix. It’s having to go to a dealer that is frustrating. The error code does occur when the gate is stuck. I have spoken to 3 different dealers and they all have said the same thing. I find it frustrating that I am not able to reset a BCU error when it is an easy fix. The wknd comes to an abrupt end when this happens. To my knowledge Yamaha has not offered any sort of recall or adjustment for this issue in the computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

TraCo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Great questions.. I should have asked those..

Help us to help you to solve your problem, tons of info and very knowledgeable people on this site who have experienced your issues.
I am in Arizona. 60 hours on the boat. I’ve been to two dealers here and one in Vegas. The Vegas dealer was very helpful and great to work with. In researching this issue I have found many Yamaha owners that have had the same issue. I’ve been a boat owner for 30 years but this my first “computer” boat.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This post is in such lack of detail and so heavy on the brand bashing I have to say - smells like a bot. User has only posted this complaint thread and isn't checking it frequently.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How often do you get rocks stuck in your gate ?? just once or do you see this as something you can't avoid by staying in deeper water ( no way gravel is getting in the gates a 3ft deep,

So what did the many yamaha owner's that had that issue do to resolve it ??

I've not hear of this issue or even a BCU ( thank goodness for my 2007 ) so I doubt that yamaha is doing anything about it,

I looked around and found this thread at YJB, the last post gives some good info but I'm cautious of it since he claims to be a mechanic but this is the only post he's made at YJB

if this is going to bother you and you can't stay in 3ft deep water you need to sell the boat and get one your more comfortable with,

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This post is in such lack of detail and so heavy on the brand bashing I have to say - smells like a bot. User has only posted this complaint thread and isn't checking it frequently.
Is YDS an option on this year of boat, and can you clear codes? If saves a trip to the dealer, I would look into it.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
briefly reading through zipper's thread it does lead credence to the techs info I posted from YJB about the sensor seeing a higher amp draw if the bucket is caught against the hull while having the wheel full turn

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've never had a BCU error that stopped me from boating, but I also never power off sandbars or beaches. This is strange....first time I've heard of an error that prevents boating (or perhaps my hangover is addling my brain)