• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 Bimini Trip July 12-18th

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Not that painful. A swab is inserted in the nose. It's uncomfortable because it has to go all the way into the back.
Do they allow antibody tests?
I ask because Red Cross is advertising free antibody test when you donate blood. Would be a little late for this trip as they say up to 7 weeks for your test to be returned.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I ask because Red Cross is advertising free antibody test when you donate blood. Would be a little late for this trip as they say up to 7 weeks for your test to be returned.
That, I have no idea. good luck!

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everything indicates only a PCR test is acceptable, which is the nose swab.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not that painful. A swab is inserted in the nose. It's uncomfortable because it has to go all the way into the back.
There's also a whole bunch of places down here in Florida that are doing throat swab PCR tests now instead of the nasal ones. Orange County Convention Center (closest one to me) is one of them and it's free, but limited number of tests per day.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Alright, looking to see if anyone has advice for one of my crew. She applied for a passport renewal (actually just a name update for married name) the first week of March, just before COVID shut everything down. Normally that would of been more than enough time for processing, but COVID screwed it up as with many things. US Passport processing operations resumed June 11, but as of yet she doesn't have her passport in hand. Based on some others in online forums who submitted renewal applications just before her, there's a decent chance she'll get it back just in time for this trip, but it'll be very tight. At this time there is no expedited processing service available unless its a proven life or death situation.

From everything I've found online Bahamas now requires a passport for entry, even by private vessel, unless you're on a round-trip cruise, which apparently has some exemptions. ~3 years ago it appears you could get in with other forms of ID if arriving and departing by private boat, but that seems to have gone away around 2018. Per the U.S. CBP website re-entry into the US by sea appears to be allowed by a Real-ID compliant driver's license, which she can get, but that doesn't help if the Bahamas won't let her enter in the first place.

Obviously having a passport is ideal for many reasons, from avoiding hassle to accommodating an emergency situation, but is anyone aware of an alternative for entry into the Bahamas? I hate to leave her and her husband behind, and we've considered cancelling entirely if they can't go, but hoping there's another option.

Yamaha212limiteds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Alright, looking to see if anyone has advice for one of my crew. She applied for a passport renewal (actually just a name update for married name) the first week of March, just before COVID shut everything down. Normally that would of been more than enough time for processing, but COVID screwed it up as with many things. US Passport processing operations resumed June 11, but as of yet she doesn't have her passport in hand. Based on some others in online forums who submitted renewal applications just before her, there's a decent chance she'll get it back just in time for this trip, but it'll be very tight. At this time there is no expedited processing service available unless its a proven life or death situation.

From everything I've found online Bahamas now requires a passport for entry, even by private vessel, unless you're on a round-trip cruise, which apparently has some exemptions. ~3 years ago it appears you could get in with other forms of ID if arriving and departing by private boat, but that seems to have gone away around 2018. Per the U.S. CBP website re-entry into the US by sea appears to be allowed by a Real-ID compliant driver's license, which she can get, but that doesn't help if the Bahamas won't let her enter in the first place.

Obviously having a passport is ideal for many reasons, from avoiding hassle to accommodating an emergency situation, but is anyone aware of an alternative for entry into the Bahamas? I hate to leave her and her husband behind, and we've considered cancelling entirely if they can't go, but hoping there's another option.
Im on the same boat as far as passport, My kids will expire during the visit, I emailed the us embassy in Nassau, they replied back and said that passport is required. Then I called the customs office in the Bahamas and they also confirmed it. Passport is required.

AbuAyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
How does everyone feel about COVID numbers in Florida going up? I just got a notice from the Bimini Ferry saying they need to reschedule due to “operational reasons”???

would still love to do this trip but the signs are not encouraging :(

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How does everyone feel about COVID numbers in Florida going up? I just got a notice from the Bimini Ferry saying they need to reschedule due to “operational reasons”???

would still love to do this trip but the signs are not encouraging :(
My wife is very concerned about the increase in FL cases but is fine with it as long as we limit our time and exposure in FL. Right now we're planning on getting to Florida, or close, on Friday the 10th. We may get groceries in advance instead of in FL and just keep everything on ice. If weather/waves are perfect we may leave Saturday morning instead of waiting around until Sunday.

Outside of Florida cases, I'm a bit concerned that the Bahamas will change procedure last minute for anyone coming from FL. FL may also start shutting things down again, although they seem defiant currently. Definitely a potential for some last second changes from either end. I've got until July 6th to cancel my AirBNB and get a full refund minus service fee, so I'm hoping to make the final call by then.

Edit: I cancelled last minute in 2018 because I thought the weather was too iffy. Bad call. Turned out to be a great trip for those that went. I REALLY don't want to cancel again, but I guess there's always next year.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here’s a little information from our good friend out on the reef.

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My landlord just sent me a link to apply for a travel card that is required for entry: travel.gov.bs
I tried to apply without a current Covid-19 test but it was rejected.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bahamas Prime Minister announced today a number of updates for Phase 2 re-opening including that entries after July 7 must now have a negative COVID PCR test within 7 days of entry instead of the 10 it was before. This will obviously make test scheduling and turn around time critical. I now plan to get my test Monday, July 6th. Will be calling some places tomorrow morning to look for the best turn around time and to schedule an appointment. Additionally, police have been directed to write tickets for $200, or one month in jail, for not wearing masks per guidelines (indoor businesses or places where 6ft distance can't be kept, I believe).

Additionally, just in case anyone hasn't been following the news, Florida state recently cut off bars from serving alcohol inside and Miami-Dade county is closing all beaches July 4th weekend (Ft. Lauderdale is not in Miami-Dade). No telling what other restrictions there may be in <2 weeks.

Should be an interesting couple weeks. Even though this group and a good chunk of Florida fisherman have been waiting to get to the Bahamas, I speculate this will keep crowds very, very light for a while.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think this 7 day window has now killed my ability to do this trip. My brother is in FL and their testing is already backed up 10 days. The complications of this are just one more thing I'm not sure I want to deal with. I dont want to spend hundreds towing my boat to FL only to find out that test results dont return in time.....

Still not totally decided, but that is where I stand right now.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm on the fence as well. There's a lot of risk, especially coming from out of state. I'm going to give it this week and make a go/no-go decision next weekend before my July 6th refund cutoff.

leonard delia

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We are in the same boat (no pun intended), we applied for passports for our two sons and a renewal for our youngest daughter back in February and still no progress on getting them. If we don't have any updates in the next few days, we'll have to cancel the trip for this year and rescheduled for next summer. We do have a backup plan to rent a lake house on Smith Mountain Lake just in case.
I checked with my DR, he said I could take test on the 3 rd at cvs and will have results before 10th not difficult at all don’t cancel it will be easy

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do you have a link? The change to 7 days was from a press conference today (Sunday).
My landlord was wrong and the website had not been updated yet. So you are correct, it's 7 days.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a heads up, I just got back to FL last night, there is a check point when you come across the FL/GA boarder asking where your coming from. I think they are looking for people coming from hot spots. But FL is deff a hot spot its self now. Yall be safe crossing.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I checked with my DR, he said I could take test on the 3 rd at cvs and will have results before 10th not difficult at all don’t cancel it will be easy
I tried to schedule on the CVS app...it said I don't qualify, same for the Walgreens one (although Walgreens doesn't specify if theirs is a PCR test or not-and I asked at the store and they didn't know either). This is why I'm likely out. Seems they are running out of test capacity and ratcheting up the minimums needed to qualify for a test - meaning they want to narrow it down to people with symptoms. Not sure I want to take someone's spot so I can go on vacation.

BigT51

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still have no word on my kids passports and now with all the covid testing issues, I'm going to cancel this trip and wait till next summer. My youngest daughter is really bummed since she just turned 18 and realized the drinking age in Bimini is 18. Thankfully we have a backup plan in place, we're renting a lake house with a dock on Smith Mountain Lake in VA so all is not lost. To those that end up going, I wish you safe travels and great fun on the trip. Looking forward to updates and living vicariously through your adventures.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just a heads up, I just got back to FL last night, there is a check point when you come across the FL/GA boarder asking where your coming from. I think they are looking for people coming from hot spots. But FL is deff a hot spot its self now. Yall be safe crossing.
That seems ridiculous! Perhaps they are asking "are you sure you want to come in?" LOL