• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 Bimini Trip July 12-18th

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think some that go may have capability and not realize it. I bought my vhf before i understood much of that and it has dsc but not ais. I want to upgrade to have ais and a plotter but wife says not worth the money. Need an inexpensive option.
And some think they have it, but haven't noticed the * on their radio which says "DSC compatible when connected to an external GPS"! I think I have mine connected properly, but have never tested it! My Standard Horizon GX1500 for example has no GPS built in. If I had researched this I wouldn't have bought it....but I bought and installed it the day before the Bimini 2017 trip! (not good planning).

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
And some think they have it, but haven't noticed the * on their radio which says "DSC compatible when connected to an external GPS"! I think I have mine connected properly, but have never tested it! My Standard Horizon GX1500 for example has no GPS built in. If I had researched this I wouldn't have bought it....but I bought and installed it the day before the Bimini 2017 trip! (not good planning).
Yeah, i have Cobra MRF45D
And i bought the gps module for it. Since it doesn't list AIS i don't know if it would link to a chartplotter to do the fancy stuff.
If anyone know let me know!
If anyone knows an effective but relatively inexpensive way to go about this let me know as well!
This would be amazing in bimini for finding people on fishing/snorkling spots or in emergency situations.

VaMarine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just cancelled my reservation and will try this next year.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ShellB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Bucket list! Someday soon!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How many can sleep on there?
Location?
Boat slip?
Price?
Its a one bedroom condo. So one queen bed and a couple of couches. Last year sbrown had a family of 5 in there. Your results depend on how cozy you like to be!
Slips are handled separately.
It is in the #3 Building condo 3F.
$1700 for the week

CokeZero

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bucket List for my crew also. Next year hopefully. Would love to make the trip with you guys. Our boat isn’t ready yet. Need VHF, chart plotter, etc. Winter projects!

Yamaha212limiteds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Its a one bedroom condo. So one queen bed and a couple of couches. Last year sbrown had a family of 5 in there. Your results depend on how cozy you like to be!
Slips are handled separately.
It is in the #3 Building condo 3F.
$1700 for the week
Hey Julian, Need a little more space, My little one is too hyper. Found one that can sleep 6 with a dock in Fisherman Marina. Waiting on the owner to confirmed. If anything changes I'll let you know asap, Thanks.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just to clear up some things about AIS;
For the purpose of "seeing" each other's locations, it is pointless for this group to purchase radios with AIS.
What you will get is a radio with an AIS RECEIVER. So you will be able to see other vessels who have an AIS transmitter, but nobody with an AIS radio will be able to see you.
Unless everybody wants to invest the $600-$900 (each) for an AIS transmitter, the AIS function is pointless for this group.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just to clear up some things about AIS;
For the purpose of "seeing" each other's locations, it is pointless for this group to purchase radios with AIS.
What you will get is a radio with an AIS RECEIVER. So you will be able to see other vessels who have an AIS transmitter, but nobody with an AIS radio will be able to see you.
Unless everybody wants to invest the $600-$900 (each) for an AIS transmitter, the AIS function is pointless for this group.
I am sure your knowledge of it is more than mine! I have DSC on my radio and i know the manual shows how to scroll through and do a position request if i already have their mmsi number in memory. It also allows for position request. Is this similar?
And then i guess i had in my mind having a chartplotter hooked to my nmea0183 port and then being able to send and recieve positions on that instead of the vhf so it would show positions and such. Am i totally off on this? Maybe a new thread so we can learn? I think i would use a decent amount as we find boat friends on Lake Michigan. Depending on cost to mix and match stuff it would be a decent upgrade.
I saw some people even link using wifi or bluetooth to a tablet.

AbuAyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
I am keeping the group list up to date on the first post, so if you are joining this crossing and your name isn't there let me know.

Also, if you want to share your MMSI # there, I will add it.
@Julian Planning to join the July group.
boat name: Aljariah (Glastron-crossed in 2018)
crew: 4
Bimini Sands unit: 13H (we have additional 2 coming by ferry from Fort Lauderdale - Balearia Caribbean)
Staying in Bahia Mar July 10th

Looking forward to it.

Rotorwash

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
we are still planning to cross on the morning of the 13th if anyone wants in

Yamaha212limiteds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My unit and slip are finally confirmed. Now Im trying to get my MMSI for my hand held radio, where do I go for it? Any help would be appreciated.

Yamaha212limiteds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can anyone inform if travel to the Bahamas is possible with birth certificates? Have anyone travel with kids by boat to the Bahamas before? what to expect? We have a 6years, 15years and a 17years old. Any help would be appreciated.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last time I was in Bahamas a year ago you needed a passport. Unless you have a problem, you can get expedited passports. They cost a bit more but it can be done. We flew in.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

cgcaraway

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Expedited passports are not being done at the moment. I am in a bind because I renewed my passport in February and it is still in process due to COVID. The passport service cannot give me a time of when they will get to it and they have cancelled all expedited services.