• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 Bimini Trip July 12-18th

BigT51

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are in the same boat (no pun intended), we applied for passports for our two sons and a renewal for our youngest daughter back in February and still no progress on getting them. If we don't have any updates in the next few days, we'll have to cancel the trip for this year and rescheduled for next summer. We do have a backup plan to rent a lake house on Smith Mountain Lake just in case.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man I feel for you.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am planning on doing the trip next year. The Admiral will fly over, so I need to figure out the First Mate situation, but otherwise is looks and sounds fantastic. Already on pace for proper gear and electronics for the trip.

alex23b

Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobia
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
FYI - Bahamas just announced tourists will need Covid19 negative tests to enter the country.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@AbuAyd just added himself to the list of attendees. He'll be in Sands Unit 13H. I will add information to the first post as attendees provide it. Things like where you are staying, boat type & color, departure and arrival times etc.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here is a good link for people coming on the trip:

AbuAyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Here is a good link for people coming on the trip:

So it sounds like we will need to get tested in our home cities before we start heading to Florida. Or should we look for a testing facility in Fort Lauderdale and get tested right before the crossing.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So it sounds like we will need to get tested in our home cities before we start heading to Florida. Or should we look for a testing facility in Fort Lauderdale and get tested right before the crossing.
Really not sure on how I'll handle this. Most likely I will get tested here at home before I leave. The problems I've read are about how long the tests take to return.....so I'll probably get tested 8-9 days before "planned" departure just to give a little wiggle room for weather related adjustments.

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm picking up a 2014 Yamaha 242 Limited S at the end of June. This would be an amazing first big trip...I'm doing a bunch of research right now but I would love to join. Any advice from seasoned crossers would be appreciated! Is this too much for a first big trip? I do have boating experience (rented a lot over the years) but this will be my first owned boat.

jethrof16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As I posted in the 2020 Bimini Early Interest Thread, I have booked my trip for this year from Sunday July 12th to Saturday July 18th.

At this point, the following people look to be crossing this week:
  1. @Julian MMSI # is 338244923 Sands Unit 3D & 3F, Blue 242X, 4th Trip, Sunday 12th ~9am-Sat 18th ~10am.
  2. @BBottoms MMSI# 338318337
  3. @Wytiger
  4. @BigT51
  5. @leonard delia
  6. @agaufillet
  7. @jethrof16
  8. @Yamaha212limiteds
  9. @AbuAyd Sands Unit13H Glastron GT21, 2nd Trip
  10. @Rotorwash . Sands Unit 21i Mon 13th to Sat 18th. 6 of us 2015 AR240 grey/white
I chose this week as I didn't want to be over there during 4th of July (gets a bit busier there that week), and June wasn't working for family stuff.

If you haven't read the Preparing for Bimini Thread, please read that thread to familiarize yourself with what to expect. This will be my 4th trip to Bimini.

Our plan will be as follows:
  1. Drive down to Ft. Lauderdale to arrive Saturday afternoon and stay in one of the hotels close to Harbor Towne Marina (we stayed at Homewood Suites by Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Airport-Cruise Port - and will likely stay in that general area again. Will post once we settle on a spot, but it isn't critical that we are at the same place.
  2. On Sunday morning, get up at a rational hour (unless the forecast is suggesting EARLY AM wind/waves would be better) and head to Harbor Town (get there around 8-9am). Park at Harbor town ideally, if not FFL. (one reason for getting there EARLIER...better chance of parking).
  3. Depart Harbor Town 9-10am for Bimini.
  4. Arrive in Bimini around Noon.
  5. Depart Bimini the following Saturday morning (weather permitting).

I MAY have a one bedroom condo available to rent for that same period (we are trying to determine who is going with us). Send me a conversation message if you are interested.
#bimini
#bimini2020
My MMSI is 338376269 staying in Sands units 10B & 10C, taking a 2018 242X, 1st trip

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm picking up a 2014 Yamaha 242 Limited S at the end of June. This would be an amazing first big trip...I'm doing a bunch of research right now but I would love to join. Any advice from seasoned crossers would be appreciated! Is this too much for a first big trip? I do have boating experience (rented a lot over the years) but this will be my first owned boat.
I highly recommend installing a fixed mount marine radio and Chartplotter. I would also want to have some hours on a boat before going offshore.

Yamaha212limiteds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I thought the negative test is for anyone entering before july 1, not after. I really dont want to get test it. That looks painful.

Last edited:

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I highly recommend installing a fixed mount marine radio and Chartplotter. I would also want to have some hours on a boat before going offshore.
Thanks. I'm looking into the equipment required and I'll definitely get it in for at least few solid days on the water before going offshore.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought the negative test is for anyone entering before july 1, not after. I really dont want to get test it. That looks painful.
The Bahamas have changed the policy again. A negative PCR test will continue to be necessary for visitors after July 1st.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It isn't painful....just uncomfortable. I'm sure @tabbibus can tell you more....

But yes, a negative PCR test will be require after July 1st until TBD. That test will need to be within 10 days of your arrival at immigation. I will be planning 1 day of buffer in the event of wind forecast issues. I plan to get tested on July 3rd. I am looking into if I can schedule this in advance....

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Saw some posts earlier about radios and plotters, DSC position polling and AIS, so thought I'd chime in quick. DSC and AIS are different technologies that do similiar, but not same, functions. AIS as stated before is pretty much useless for the group needs. It is an excellent tool for crowded harbors, though. DSC and position polling are two very useful technologies for us as a group. Specifics of how, why and connections, and settings would require its own thread.

As a side note to @Julian, yes your radio and gps works, I was able to locate you several times on both the 2018 and 2019 trips using position polling.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bet all these Requirements change again with the numbers steadily climbing in Florida

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bet all these Requirements change again with the numbers steadily climbing in Florida
Traveling sooner rather than later is likely a good idea. I would not be surprised if all entry from Florida is barred.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not that painful. A swab is inserted in the nose. It's uncomfortable because it has to go all the way into the back.